Feature Request: Incidental Annihilasering

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cwarner7264, September 12, 2014.

1. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

The sun is just a large mass of extremely hot liquid, I see no problem letting the annihilasor to fire through it.

(Note: apparently my phone doesn't think annihilasor is a misspelled word anymore........... Thanks uber)
  2. linike860

linike860 Uber Alumni

As has been said before, in game development what is fun automatically trumps what is "real". Sure we use reality as a starting point, but reality can tend to be boring or frustrating, so we pretty quickly jump from reality. More important are what we want the feature to accomplish and how can we accomplish it in the best way possible.
  3. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

That is why I said "If this realyl is a laser and we are very literral". Two boolean operations anded results in a lot of false :)

I just wanted to point out that reality actually agrees with the anni-laser and haleyables just harmlessly "passing through" other objects. Because we can asume that the neat, tidy 2D of the system is just a really an abstraction for a bunch of a lot more complex orbits (where actually getting two objects to allign is a once every other century phenomenon).
    So you could go back to that/stay at it, if you wanted.

But killing yourself with your Anni-laser or haleyed object is pretty funny too. A good reason not to use them lightly...
    Remy561 and linike860 like this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am starting to think, if a planet is being launched, or if a laser is being fired, it might be in the best interest for them to detect accidental collision and avoid it, for the sake of undeserved losing a game. Or, as a last resort, make launching planets and annihilasers no-clip while in use.

Collateral is good for setup systems without engines, but using an engine to achieve a victory and incidentally clipping your own self and dying, is pretty bad way to lose points through PAStats and such.
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

squishypon3 likes this.
  7. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I never said they are not roughly conforming to a disk. Because they do that.
    But not a perfect disk where if you shoot through one you had any decent chance to hit another. Even a 1 degree difference in orbit angle means there will be only two points in the whole solar system where they can allign. And they have to be both there at the exactly same time for it to happen. Planetary alligments where they are on a straight line are rare to impossible. Just think how rarely we get a eclipse. That is how unlikely is it for even the moon/sun/earth system to form a proper line. And we are talking about stuff with a lot more empty space between.

Look at this "tediously accrate scale model" of the solar system:
    http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html
    That is how empty the thing is and how big it is comapred to the planets in it.
  8. Geers

Geers Post Master General

PA is not to scale.
  9. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I really love this idea and i think it should just blow up 2 planets. I also think that if you make superweapons like annihilasor or the halleys, you should know what you are doing and you should yourself look trough your solar system is there is a chance that it will backfire. In my opinion if there is a risk that you accidently hit the wrong place you should just be extra-carefull yourself because your not controlling a fighter or a plane, but a massive superweapon.
    Quitch, websterx01 and Remy561 like this.