(0xc000007b) error message

Discussion in 'Support!' started by halgar, September 12, 2014.

1. halgar

halgar New Member

Can anyone help me resolve this issue please? I paid my money, ran the setup file, tried to run the PA Launcher and get the following message,
    "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."
    I've waited for a response from support for more than a week. I've watched the threads in the support forums here and on Steam and tried everything that someone suggested if they were having trouble getting the launcher to load, this included all of the following,
    Running the PA Launcher as Administrator
    Ran chkdsk c: /f /r, no errors reported
    deleted all d3dx9*.dll files and reinstalled (in case of possibly corrupted files)
    Installed:
    directx_Jun2010_ file
    dxwebestup.exe
    NDP451-KB2859818-Web.exe
    NDP452-KB2901907=x86-x64-AIIOS-ENU.exe
    vcredist_arm.exe
    vcredist_64.exe
    vcredist_x86.exe
    updated the video card with 340.76_geforce_win8_winvista_win7_64bit_, the newest
    video drivers I could find for my video card (a GeForce 460M)
    along with all of the other possible "fixes" I've found online. None of these things worked, I still get the same error message as my original post, "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."
    I'm stumped. The responder from support suggested that I post a message here to see if someone, ANYONE has a suggestion to get this thing to load.
    I've run the dxdiag.exe, when it boots it shows both a 32 bit and a 64 bit diagnostic tool, Is there anyone out there that can help me get PA to run so I can go blow **** up?
    Thanks in advance just for taking the time to read this message.
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. japporo

japporo Active Member

0xC000007B is STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT according to Microsoft's documentation:

{Bad Image} %hs is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.​

You might try uninstalling the launcher, re-downloading the installer package from Uber directly, and installing that to see if that helps. You could also post your dxdiag information so that people can look for additional clues.
  3. halgar

halgar New Member

Thanks for the response. I've deleted and reinstalled the launcher, all with no luck but will attach the dxdiag text file. This has been really frustrating so I appreciate any suggestions.

Attached Files:

4. japporo

japporo Active Member

The fact that you list these three files makes me suspect you have the Visual C++ 2012 libraries installed, which is not what I think the launcher uses. Try installing the Visual C++ 2010 libraries instead. (You do not need to uninstall the VC 2012 version before doing this; they are separate.)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13523

It will do no harm other than taking up a bit of disk space even if it doesn't work. Many other software packages use them so you likely would have needed it eventually.
    Last edited: September 12, 2014
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Basically this error mean corrupted or incorrect DLL in your system, but for PA launcher it's most often mean invalid D3D DLLs so most likely you can fix this problem this way:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/648817377928373876/
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

SXX is right, that should work, for some reason DirectX has a discreptency between builds and between versions published and version included with OS, and it requires you manually installing a certain verison of directx and intentionally uninstalling current versions, to get rid of incorrect files.

I hope this doesn't startle you, for some reason files have to be touchy between this game and default OS library packages. Really, when you have the *right* libraries, the game should run. I never had too many problems, installed newest drivers and have a manually installed directx from system cleaning prior. Last problem I had, was game thought it was open when not and launcher wouldn't install stable. That was caused by me tampering with my own registry to limit coherent processes, figured that out and had a giggle.
  7. halgar

halgar New Member

I appreciate the responses. While I had already downloaded and installed the files suggested by japporo, I did it again just to be sure, I still get the same error message. I've already done what SXX has suggested, it made no difference, I get the same error message. This is really frustrating.

Attached Files:

8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

What you can do now it's download Dependency Walker:
    http://www.dependencywalker.com/
    Then try to load those files with it:
    bin_x64/PA.exe
    bin_x64/host/CoherentUI_Host.exe

Check if it's display any DLL files as missing. It's advanced too, but you can try to make screenshot so we can help you.
  9. halgar

halgar New Member

I don't seem to have either file you asked me to check. I searched my hard drive looking for them, the search came back with no hits. If these files are supposed to be in my c:\games\uber entertainment\planetary annihilation launcher folder (the default install directory), well they aren't, the only files in that folder is d3dcompiler_43.dll and uberlauncher.exe I've deleted and reinstalled the PA_Setup file several times, these are the only files that ever get installed.

So, I ran Dependency Walker on the uberlancher.exe file and it did find errors, I've attached a screen as a jpg file.

Have I said Thank you for the help? I really do appreciate your time and effort.

Attached Files:

10. japporo

japporo Active Member

I'm guessing that SXX would like you to open Dependency Walker on both files, select the file menu and then the save item. This should result in two *.dwi file that you should .ZIP up and post here.
  11. halgar

halgar New Member

Done.

Attached Files: