Has anyone seen a performance improvement in the latest update?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by damnhippie, September 11, 2014.

1. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Memory: Limit CSG and planet textures to 1024x1024 maximum (saving up to 200MB of graphics memory and 200MB of system memory, or 400MB of memory on integrated graphics on a large game with multiple biomes).

Client: Fix some texture size restrictions (e.g. the nuke scorch decal) to save approximately 300MB to 400MB of GPU memory (and a corresponding amount of CPU memory too).

It's great to see these two in the patch notes! If I'm interpreting this correctly the GPU should have up to 600MB of RAM freed up. So has anyone seen any performance improvements? I'm currently playtesting the new update so I'll update this with my own opinion in 1hr or so.
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

3. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

before the patch i simple can not play in the PAX system, now i can play that system smoothly.

i have 4GB of ram and 1 GB of video
  4. Jimax

Jimax New Member

I got a performance boost in this patch. Earlier patches when the commander would explode or the moon would smash i would get freeze for like 5 seconds. now its completely gone and my experience has been great.

I was also able to enable ambient occlusion with my current settings.
    varrak likes this.
  5. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

RAM usage has definitely decreased, I ran a system with a large main planet being orbited by 3 gas giants and it used around 6.7GB. Some of my other problems are still sticking around but any improvement is great.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I think @varrak was talking about how he was working hard to reduce RAM a couple days/week ago.
  7. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Like, a millionfold improvement.
    I only have a tiny 4GB of RAM and the game used to run pretty **** on loading maps and ending them, but it's become a LOT more tolerable.
    squishypon3, varrak and drz1 like this.
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Server performance is outstanding. Really surprised that they are fixing these bugs so fast also.
    varrak and squishypon3 like this.
  9. varrak

varrak Official PA

Oh, awesome! Really glad to hear it's getting better. There's even more coming, too. This update only got a few of my fixes.
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Can't wait, thanks a bunch Varrak, PA was beginning to die on my computer, you have now since revived it. :D
    varrak likes this.
  11. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I noticed that the game did went smoother today althought i haven't played that much. Gonna check it out more tommorow! Well done Varrak! might bug you tommorow though :p
  12. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I'm not sure if avengers cause the server to lag when patrolled (they don't even seem to have pathing), but one time today i had control over an entire gas giant and area patrolled somewhere around 1300 avengers around the entire gas giant.

The sim was fine.
    varrak likes this.
  13. balsamicninja

balsamicninja Member

Setting units on patrol results in instant lag. This means that the lag isn't necessarily a result of collisions, but rather a function of calculating trajectories in real time.
  14. e1211

e1211 New Member

Yes, Before the update that i had to wait minutes until the planet loads and i can select a spawn point, if i had enough time. Now it's a matter of seconds, I can finally choose my spawn point.
  15. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Area patrol of ground units appears to be the issue in my experience. That and orbital transfers. I've never really had a problem with performance with planet wide patrols for aircraft or orbital.

Trees are an issue, as area patrol of ground units + trees = path-finding nightmare situation.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Trees have too much of a foot print.

Usually, it feels like tanks should be able to fit in-between their trunks without taking down half a jungle.
  17. cdrkf

Tanks can path between trees though, although bots do have an added advantage in that kind of terrain.
    igncom1 and Bsport like this.
  18. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Still 10fps at the beginning of the game with a R9 290 with maxed graphics :(
  19. cdrkf

Uh what settings do you have to change to make it run properly then?
  20. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Okay so um... This is weird. I played a few games on low settings, i switched back to uber and i now have 60fps. It kind of fixed itself, that's really weird. I even double checked if i really was on uber graphics.