"Natural" planet collisions are anti-natural?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, September 10, 2014.

1. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

Good thing this is just a game...
    tehtrekd likes this.
  2. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Why is this thread appearing now? This feature has been out for MONTHS without any complaint from anyone... So why now?
    corteks and tehtrekd like this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

You can set planets to collide naturally. That is a feature, if it were removed it would be removing a feature, locking it out of the game. You want a feature removed? On the grounds you specified, it sounds like you should avoid use of the feature in your personal games, because if they remove it, they will just be pissing off another half of people, and tbh reddit and steam wouldn't convert over this anyway so why piss off fans to please would-still-be enemies?

Generally, I am getting the impression that people troll with this, and other people complain bug exploit. The feature is intentional, but as a courtesy when you play with a custom system on a collision course, you should make it as obvious as possible by naming the system "collision system" or something, and the planets 5 min collide A and 5 min collide B or something. That way, you broadcast the map feature.
    I suspect on release, the negative nancies got creative about what they could complain about. This makes it seem bad, AND tries to trick the devs into removing it to rattle the cage of their own playerbase who loves the feature. A clever troll, either trying to chip at the game, or trying to chip at the players, in some way or another. I mean, who would set a system to look average, and then make 2 spawn planets that collide instantly on game start, just to instawin a FFA or something. This game doesn't even have ladders, so that is solid cheese gimmick bullcrap.
  4. corteks

corteks Active Member

I can remember playing before incidental smashing was in. It sure looked stupid to see planets phase through each other, units and all, now it's an epic event of doom! I mean commanding your army, then realizing that that planet in the background is getting a little bit too big -> Zoom out -> Oh **** run! :p

Of course if you don't like it you can just create your own systems with no incidental smashing, it's not hard to do. In fact it's a lot easier than setting up a system to have a smash occur at a certain point in time, which is what I've been doing since this feature was implemented because I love seeing planets crash together (one of the most unique things about this game).
    squishypon3 likes this.
  5. wienerdog4life

wienerdog4life Active Member

ow the edge
  6. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Honestly, I love being able to add a bit of dangerous randomness to my maps, & it forces people to be more situationally aware of the orbital map (which you should be doing on multi system maps anyways)

I have a map where I intentionally set it so that there are two large planets that will brush eachother every so often (the two planets you can spawn on btw) along with a much smaller, less resource planet that is a safe haven from the incidental smashing, which can't be spawned on.

& as a matter of personal honor, if I have a map that has incedental smashing, I warn anyone who joins my lobby. Since I don't like it when people don't do the same, I'd rather not be a hypocrite about it
    corteks likes this.
  7. corteks

corteks Active Member

Same here. While I usually play with friends, if I'm playing on a system I've created I like to give them the lowdown on any points of interest about the system. Then everyone is on the same page about if a smash will be coming, or certain states of resources around the place (like asteroids and metal planets being set to have 0 resources actually on them).
  8. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Never considered doing that... Hmmm.............
  9. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Really that's the first thing I did when i made a system.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  10. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Why is this post appearing now? This question has been asked FAR EARLIER into the thread, and has already been answered... So why now?
  11. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Far earlier? There's only an eight hour difference.
    corteks likes this.
  12. corteks

corteks Active Member

Yeah I figure it's a good way of stopping someone just turtling up on a superweapon (especially the metal planets). You keep the resource fight on a large starting planet, and maybe include a gas giant too, and then setup asteroids and a metal planet as tools to be used, giving them very small sizes. Well 500 is the smallest for metal planets now but it means to build those catalysts you've gotta protect your eco elsewhere while also protecting your new superweapon in the making.
  13. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

That would definitely help balance the maps that have the metal planet or crash able asteroids, thank you for the tip
    corteks likes this.
  14. corteks

corteks Active Member

Glad to help! I've been trying to think about creating systems in the sense of creating points of interest for each celestial body, so each planet has a different "purpose" in-game.