Release Feedback: Feels...i dont know...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lazeruski, September 10, 2014.

1. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

Since it was released a few days ago, i played a few games.

Multiplayer is fun for a while, but the thing i miss here is map diversity.
    I still dont know what i should feel about the missing 3D designs, since there are no real canyons, hills or something like that, places with just a few entrances...the planets are mostly flat with a few obstacles.
    There is moslty no tactical value for most spots on planets.

Galactic War is...no...
    The idea behind it is fun, but the current design is more than bad.
    Starting with a commander with just Tier 1 Vehicle stuff is just stupid.
    The rounds are mostly steamrolling. build enough tanks and roll over the enemy base.
    Since the enemy commander has access to almost everything, it feels just boring.
    Just had one commander who jumped between planets and had massive amounts of anchors over his base.
    Its fun to invade that planet if you need to build a teleporter to access it, but cant land on it because the AI either shoots down your transports, nukes your main base or spams his T2 bombers.
    Thats not fun at all...
    Atleast a few starting sets (Vehicle, Bot, Air) to choose from would be nice. A way to actually breach the enemy base without spamming thousands of t1 tanks...

hope the GW will get some tweaks soon now.

AI
    For a release version the ai feels boring. So far in multiplayer the AI on normal was nearly not attacking, it just did his own thing, completely ignoring intel and other players. It felt like it was not even there, acting way to random.
    Same for GW, either they roll over your base with Bombers or they teleport the commander around and build bases everywhere - annoying, nothing more.

So currently the Multiplayer against friends is the only thing that is fun for me, hope the unit cannon is finished soon ^-^
    So overall the game is fun and has a huge potential, but i would not call it a release version
    Antiglow likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

AI used to be something to reckon with, I believe it's bugged at the moment.

Anyway, you should really get the PA: mod manager, if link it but I'm on mobile- and get the cliff biome mod, perfect terrain. :D
  3. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

If the AI is bugged at the moment, GW with unbugged AI would be even worse^^
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

It will all be fixed soon. They should have delayed release.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  5. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-custom-planet-type-cliffs.60787/
    Think you meant this one?
    The Terrain generation looks actually awesome! why dont they implement that into the main-game?

btw, how exactly is the AI bugged right now?
    I was away for a while, when i played the last time, anchors could move and not shoot ground units and nukes were not interplanetary, so i missed a few things^^
    Last edited: September 10, 2014
    Planktum likes this.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

They sort of attack then move back. They used to be much more aggressive.
  7. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

the system is the map, make a nice system and people will love it.
  8. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

you know, for a negative review I actually agree with everything in here. +1

...They should have delayed release.
    sierra159 likes this.
  9. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

Because pathing is hard.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  10. japporo

japporo Active Member

The normal AI was adjusted because a lot of new players and less adept players (and I include myself in that number) were having difficulty beating it, especially for faction leader battles on the smaller sized GW maps where the AI has four commanders and the player would only have a single commander or at most two.

The perception that I have (and I'm sure that people will tell me if I'm wrong) is that the normal AI ramps up its economy as quickly as any other level but is less aggressive about attacking, where the converse would have been preferable: the AI should be clever and aggressive but have its economy growth rate and technologies restricted so that its attacks are more easily manageable.
    Last edited: September 11, 2014
    bradaz85 likes this.
  11. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

my main problem in GW is not the AI difficultiy.
    Its the Fake Difficulty created through missing tech.
    As i said, if the enemy commander can freely transport between planets, defend with units that you cant destroy, and attack with stuff where you cant defend against (nukes) without even knowing where your main base is but still hitting your commander with 100% precision...
    I mean...its absolutely boring to chase the enemy commander for hours with thousands of unitis over 3 or 4 different planets where you need 30min until you can access them because you need luck that the enemies anchor or bomberspam wont see your builders who need to build a teleporter.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

You do start with things like anti-nukes and orbital transports unlocked.

Really the key is getting early access to advanced something, and then it's really not all that bad.

End of the day, nuke your way to victory.
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

To be clear, if your good enough you *shouldn't be playing skirmish against 'normal' AI*.

Essentially the AI as developed by Sorian (he's a well know AI guy btw) is what you get at 'Absurd' difficulty. It doesn't get income bonuses or anything, that's just the fully leaded AI. And it's HARD :) I'm quite high up on the ladder and *if* I don't kill an Absurd AI quickly it can be quite a problem.

If you want to scale the AI based on eco, host an Absurd AI and adjust it's economy down.

The lower level AI (e.g. Normal and Hard) have settings intended to make them less aggressive. The AI isn't brilliant at multi planet stuff though, thats it's main weakness.

1 v 1 an absurd AI will full eco on a single R800 moon biome planet and tell me how you get on ;)
  14. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

I know who sorian is ;) his SupCom ai was the only reason why i played that game^^
    i will play mostly against my friends, since we are most of the time 3, i will get one "easy" ai to compensate it.
    In GW i play against normal as long as i dont have any other loadout unlocks.
    Thats why i was wondering, why the ai was so...passive,
    my complains are not about the ai, its more about the artificial difficulty created through locked techs in GW.

Its jsut stupid if you have to invade another planet without decent orbital tech or even decent units, while the ai can freely move around and nuke whatever it wants.
    Planktum likes this.
  15. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Ah! The GW AI is 'messed with' according to Sorian to make it easier I think... That's probably why its rather passive. It isn't in the skirmish mode :p
  16. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

yeah in skirmish and multiplayer the ai attacked, just if the ai was on a different planet derped, but there was something in the latest patchnotes about that^^
    but again, its not about the GW AI, its about the "let me nuke your base from one of my moon bases while you cant invade me with your T1 stuff"