PC Rig Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by thebigpill, April 21, 2014.

1. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

There office is 30 min drive from my house
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

There is a free tool to migrate it (and adjust the parition for SSD sector alocation so no slow downs...)

http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-partition-assistant.html

Used that to move one of my work machines from a HDD to an SSD for boot drive. It can even cope with disimilar drive sizes provided the total data on the source drive is less than the capacity of the target :)
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

since my old desk was actually too small and sitting on it was a pain after a while I got a new desk that can move up and down, so I can now even stand in front of the computer.

Sitting stance:
    [​IMG]

Standing stance:
    [​IMG]

Got the idea from my workplace where I was lucky to be randomly placed on such a desk. I was surprised how good it actually feels to stand once in a while.
    Last edited: September 11, 2014
    tatsujb, zihuatanejo and reptarking like this.
  4. tollman

tollman Member

Nice. The next step is to get a small treadmill and place it in front of the desk so you can take a gentle stroll while you crush your enemies. You can even buy pre-built treadmill + desk combos nowadays. You are half way there :)
  5. cola_colin

I rather just leave the house and take a walk through the greenery. Not to mention the extreme risk of forgetting to continue walking while playing xD
    reptarking, websterx01 and tollman like this.
  6. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

That second vertical monitor is sweet. Does the monitor stand allow it to rotate? I got one of those for a customer of mine a while back, always fancied one myself. Next time i decide to spend a bit of money on my rig I'm probably gonna get a nice triple monitor mount and some new monitors. Although that might necessitate a new GPU... :D
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Yeah it's one of those that sits in either horizontal or vertical position. Really handy. Lets you have OBS and Twitch chat open while streaming full screen stuff which is smexy.

A GTX 970 should be sufficient for three monitors, and they're still really reasonably priced. (Getting one soon™)
  8. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Dude, thank you! I have terrible posture (anterior pelvic tilt, classic computer guy posture), and I've been consideing getting a standing desk at work/home/both, in an effort to working towards fixing my posture. I didn't realise height adjustable desks were a thing! Gonna order one asap! :D
  9. cwarner7264

So it's almost that time. It looks like I'm finally going to get usable internet again after a few months on a sub-300Kbps connection and I think that marks an opportune time to upgrade from that to this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DgCw8d

I'm probably going to take a load more photos of the build process this time because I actually know what I'm doing. Hopefully my cable management won't be so atrocious this time too.

I have a really itchy trigger finger on ordering the parts but I'm going to try and hold out until the internet gets 'fixed'.
    squishypon3 and thetrophysystem like this.
  10. cola_colin

That looks so clean and orderly.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  11. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

... my PC has cool stickers?
    [​IMG]
  12. cwarner7264

Just went ahead an uploaded photos I took of my build as of January

Specs:

Processor: Intel i7-4790K 4.0GHz
    RAM: 16GB
    GPU: ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 4GB
    Mobo: ASUS z97-PRO
    Storage: 2 x Crucial 256GB SSD + 3TB Seagate HDD
    PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold rated

Case: NZXT Phantom 410
    CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS9500A-LED
    Keyboard: ASUS STRIX Mechanical Cherry Red MX
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Hand it over.
    tollman and tunsel11 like this.
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

(and no-one gets hurt)
    tollman likes this.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Look who finally posted.

<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='550' frameborder='0' src='

Dat pony monopoly though. (It's not even opened yet. XD)
    tollman and tatsujb like this.
  16. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yippeeeeeee shquishyyyy!! !you join the gang!!

I'm way overdue for a post but I'm so lazy to take good shots and clean up my desk !
  17. tatsujb

Okay here goes, plz forgive the terrible focal distortion caused by the gopro lens. it's unfortunately the best camera I own.

also didn't clean up the desk...

First is size comparison with a mid-to-full tower case the zalman z11 which I was building for someone else.

mine is full tower, hence more massive:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unrelated but before last week was my trip to germany where I dropped off the Zalman to a good friend of mine. He was very happy!
    [​IMG]

And now the setup :
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that is an IRON LADY mouse. So what? I use it and I'm proud! :D (out of the 15 different mice I've owned counting a KONE+ it's by FAR the best gamer mouse I've used and I believe it to be the best gamer mice in the world)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was pretty serious about the themeing. nothing but black PCB, the motherboard is black heat dissipators with silver armor, resistor caps are pewter alloy colored.
    the inside of the case is all white and I have a same-brand PSU so that the white honeycomb ventilation grill pattern at the back matches the case's
    [​IMG]

I too have stickers!
    [​IMG]

Here's the front. Not a single slot used. I haven't needed floppies ever since BIOS could be flashed from the OS, I haven't needed cds, dvds or bluerays ever since 2005 and I don't believe in putting 50$ fan controllers there since I have 5 LEVER fan controllers right on the top of my case.
    [​IMG]
    And there you can see the subwoofer occupying the space normally designated for a computer case and also the wooden raisers I crafted to bring my entire desk to a more comfortable height.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: March 1, 2015
  18. cwarner7264

@tatsujb WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE THE SAME CASE AS ME NOW I THOUGHT I WAS A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Iron lady mouse? Pfff, get on my level. Stock HP mouse that you could probably steal from a work place and nobody would give a ****.
  20. tatsujb

dude i saw your case I was gonna say we were phantom brothers, but I guess you don't like that.

BTW you have the 4th gen phantom, I have the 1st gen one.

I bought mine nearly 6 years ago now. (you can tell how aged it is by the decolorization of the plastic parts. Now you know what to expect :p I was warned about this before I bought it but I bought it any ways thinking, I'd just keep it away from the sun. I did but reflected light is clearly enough)
    iron lady is just the edition.

it's an Ikari laser white.

but point taken, I kneel before your HP xD
    cwarner7264 likes this.