(Proposal) Different yield nukes.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Debosse, September 10, 2014.

1. Debosse

Debosse Member

Right now nukes are powerful but very costly, my proposal is that you should be able to construct different size/yield from the base nuke launcher. The larger the yield the higher the cost. The launcher it's self may need to have it's price increased to prevent rushing the cheaper nukes, but overall I feel that this would make the game feel a bit more alive during the late game. With smaller nukes being used more often and the larger ones being reserved for more special targets. It's also possible that the smaller yield nukes could be restricted to the same planet or even have 2 different launchers for same/off planet nuking.
  2. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

This has been suggested a couple times, but I'd go for having more nukes in the nuke factories build bar instead. :p
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Bro, that's what he's asking for
    philoscience and kjotak109 like this.
  5. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

Yeah I agree. Sadly I do think the nuke right now is on the expensive side. I can build halleys faster than nukes and there is no anti for it. I do not think its op either. I would like to see super nukes and orbital nukes, that would be awesome.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  6. squishypon3

Oh, I only read that last bit about two launchers :p
  7. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Bro, please
    bradaz85 and stuart98 like this.
  8. squishypon3

I was in a hurry! D:
    nick2k likes this.
  9. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

+1 although it would be slightly micro intensive, it wouldn't be terribly so.
    Would also like to see MIRV nukes, because MIRV nukes are freaking sweet.
    lafncow likes this.
  10. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Can someone make a mod that makes nukes/nuke launchers and antinukes/antinuke launchers as cheap as artillery or something? That would be really interesting.
    tehtrekd and igncom1 like this.
  11. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

There is a couple of ways to balance nukes, without having them takes 10 minutes to build or however long it is now.

One could be a permanent huge power drain while building, so that will set you back units wise.

Another would be to have more resources around the map, it wouldn be too far fetches to have uraium nodes on the map. That would also give more intensive to fight, instead of just rushing orbital bailing and leaving the planet.

I honestly think more advance resources to benefit help to definite and balance the game/play. And you dont need urainum to take down a nuke you just need something that can hit it.
  12. Nothinglessness

Nothinglessness Member

Why don't we make a mod that everything gets built instantly and see how fast the game goes!
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Although, then that might be a little like catapults.

Snipers shoot nukes plz?
  14. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Uber has tossed around this idea several times in the past. And the Realm Community Balance Mod already has this.

I'd love if these were added.
  15. igncom1

As much as I do hate it whenever somone just like, advertising their mod up like this.

I really do need to sit down for a day, and do a 5 on 5 AI game to really bash out the gameplay of the two major balance mods.
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Brian is not one of the creators of RCBM. His enthusiasm for it is simply because he likes it. The actual modders working on RCBM (Nanolathe, Knight, Liquius, Zweistein000 and myself) have general policy of not pestering people to play our mod. Any advertising you may have heard is from enthusiasts rather than ourselves.

And as a second note, if you only play against AI you may want to wait a little. RCBM does work with the AI, but it is somewhat buggy. As of yet, the only way I have found of getting a decent game out of the AI is to put it on absurd, and give it a significant ecoboost. The reason for this is that we simply haven't got around to optimising the AI yet. However, this is something that I'm experimenting with and trying to fix at the moment. We recognise that skirmish vs AI is the most common way to play PA, and RCBM will support it as much as possible.

Onto the actual thread in question. In the long run, I would very much like to see different kinds of missiles and warheads. My long term plan involves missile gameplay being brought up to a level congruent with bots, tanks and air. I want to have a basic launcher which has a variety of different cruise missiles, and the current launcher become an advanced platform for ballistic missiles, which is currently unsupported in PA. I want to see lots of different types of missiles, including EMP, MIRV, napalm, cluster munitions, mine drops, jamming missiles, scout missiles, nanological missiles, and a large number of other weird ideas I have had. I would like to see a number of different defences including flak-screens, laser beams and jamming satellites, as well as the existing anti-ballistic missiles.

We don't have the hooks to do this yet. However, with only a few alterations to the existing system, we could squeeze a lot out of it. With some of the hooks proposed by modders, we could get orders of magnitude more fun out of the missile game. I very much hope that Uber is able to support the modding community enough to give us such hooks, although I certainly do not expect such developments any time soon.
    igncom1 likes this.
  17. igncom1

You legends.
  18. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I like it. Small yield tactical nukes would make for some interesting trade-offs between unit mass and strategic strikes in the middle to late game.
    igncom1 likes this.
  19. igncom1

A catapult upgrade, in exchange for tracking.

Would make my day.