This is What 31,734 Skitters Looks Like

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, September 9, 2014.

1. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Ive just counted them and you definitely missed a few. I do infact count 31.785.

Seriously though thats a lot of units. Reminds me of the replicators from StarGate SG 1 where the surface is just made of them, because they ATE everything.
    websterx01, brianpurkiss and lokiCML like this.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Looks like abstract art.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  3. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Nope, no nope no no no
    If there's one thing I can hold sacard as something that was confirmed on the kickstarter, its lack of a unit cap.
    cdrkf and igncom1 like this.
  4. Nothinglessness

Nothinglessness Member

Burn Uber instead for having all their games run on one server
  5. Dodzylla

Dodzylla Member

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

If you want unit cap, supreme commander is your game.
    In noob games mb you can use a lot of unit but against a skilled player you can't reach these unit numbers....
  6. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

That is what is possible for the current state of optimisation and such a large amount of players.

There has to be a technical limitation. Indexing an array with arbitrary numbers is just not possible. But since this a x64 game it is propably 18,446,744,073,709,551,616. And frankly the x64 Computers will run out of adresseable memory to store unti data in long before then.

As I understand it there will be an option to add a unit cap per game. Just to keep games fast/servers fluid. Not everyone can afford a dedicated serveer that can run 32k units. And sometimes a unit limit of 2k-10k per player can help already.

And sup com also have a much lower player limit, so it is hardly comparable.
    MrTBSC and bradaz85 like this.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

wow those were quite the reactions
    trollattempt succesfull i guess ...

but seriously you guys do realize how this can be a problem to players with weaker systems right?
    and we are still speaking about eventual offline ....
    it should be at least optional
    when i said unitcap i definitively didn´t mean to have it enforced, so calm your nipples
    the thing is having players enforced no limit doesn´t feel right either
    bradaz85 likes this.
  8. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I think their should be some kind of dynamic unit cap, server side. Or something... At least for a fall back, It's not good to have a game suddenly slow down because one player has done something maybe he shouldn't have. And if it's not needed, it doesn't kick in, I can't see what's not to like about that.

It's all well and good saying this is the only engine capable in the world of building infinite units, but we don't have infinite server capabilities..
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

if (uberName == 'brianpurkiss') unitlimit = 500
    else unitlimit = 9001 * 1337

okay?
    proeleert and Remy561 like this.
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Good luck building that many units ;)
    Seriously though: I remember one of the devs saying in the earlier livestreams that the unit cap is indeed that highest value of an unsigned integer.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Interestingly from PA:Stats...

[RLM]ThatsLifeMZ
    with 75755 units in game #89528

I'm guessing Brian's Mac prevented him going higher.

Also if you want to do experiments like this, probably best to host it on PTE as that uses different servers (so won't lag anyone :))
    bradaz85 likes this.
  12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That's a baseless conclusion.
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Just speculating. It could be that the game can't handle as many units now due to an increase in complexity? The question is though you say 'game crashing'- was that a server crash or client?

If it's the latter it could very well by your machine that is the limiting factor (and btw this wasn't meant as a dig against Mac- not all Mac's are the same, just like PCs I don't actually know your hardware spec is)...
  14. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Why build so many scouts, what are you trying to find!
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

the straw in the system obviously ... how did you not know THAT ?
  16. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Seriously ?
    He bought the game, he have the right to do what he want with it.
    Build 1 000 000 units if he can. More even.
    And he was playing alone, not with others. So nobody is allowed to say anything against him.

=> It's Uber's job to make sure that this does not ruin other's people game...
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  17. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Did you know that some of Intel's server CPUs can support 4TB of RAM?

Also, source? I don't recall this being confirmed. Ever. (Though I may have missed it)

Edit: not to mention that 1,000,000 units isn't that much data if it's coded the way Varrak would like to try to. Particularly if it's just 1 type of unit.
  18. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

all true.. But with the influx of new people he could of ruined the games of up to 70 people maximum with his shenanigans. And for the game I care more about the 70 people (maximum) to have atleast a somewhat decent server than that it gets ruined by someone building a crapload of stuff just to view it.

It's allready known that many new guys and old ones are complaining about massive lag so seeing this pop up on the forums really shows the disregard some people have to other players.

Also this is the perfect way to show trolls how to be the ultimate troll by crashing servers non stop.
  19. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Only 8 people (maximum) are put on a server at once.
  20. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Is that so? I thought it was 8 games. If that's true than discard most of my argument as it is than invalid. But still.. worst timing ever.