PA single player still uses Servers?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by qazplm601, June 2, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The difference is SMNC was free to play. PA isn't, and still gets extra revenue from the in game store. PA's a huge success and is giving Uber a lot of money, Uber also has a couple mobile games which are also successes. This means Uber has much more money and is doing much better off. :p
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

totaly assumptius post that doest show any evidence of uber whanting to milk or scam people ..
    you merely have been denied technical information
    what does that have to do with you being supposedly milked by uber?
    not like they get money from you playing on there servers or getting better hardwere ...
    temeter likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I know there is a difference. I'm simply telling you what a lot of people across the web are thinking and telling each other.

You must think beyond the fanboys of the forums.
  4. lucidus

lucidus New Member

By withholding all information (technical or whatever) about the server, they are demonstrating that they do not want to facilitate community-hosted servers at this time. Since Uber-hosted servers cost Uber money, they probably have some reason to justify that decision. That reason may be the DLC revenue source, which would generate far less revenue if the community was to provide that content through their own servers.

As I tried to indicate, I am content with them withholding the server in order to generate more revenue and finish the feature set they originally envisioned. I just wish they would admit it (or, if I am wrong, explain the actual situation). But when their communication strategy is uncertainty, then they shouldn't be surprised when the response from the community is doubt.

Exactly. The perception is pretty bad atm.
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

this is still assumptius at best ... nothing of what you say proves nor indicates that uber wants to milk us ... and to be frank and honest in this case they don´t have to admid nor explain anything ...
  6. squishypon3

The actual situation is that the server isn't finished, I'll need to go fetch a quote one moment...

(Sorry again Cwarner, inside info is best info. <3 )
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  7. treebee

treebee New Member

Thinking about it, it's also in their best interests to release the server anyway. Not just to stop people complaining, but also because if people are running it locally, they won't need to do it on Uber's servers. That's got to be costing them a bunch.
  8. squishypon3

Yep, in fact I think more people should be a little thankful Uber is hosting the servers. Recently many games have opted out of doing that and the only way to host servers is through a dedicated server... D:
  9. treebee

treebee New Member

Thankful is a strong word. I suspect they're doing it out of self-interest; attempting to alleviate piracy. Someone will have done a cost-benefit analysis.

Incidentally, the reason I'm posting to this forum rather than playing the game right now? "Could not connect to Server". Pah.
  10. squishypon3

Please read up like two to four posts, Uber knows DRM doesn't help fight piracy, EVERYONE knows that.
  11. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

IF IT'S STILL COMING, it is NOT FINISHED. Therefore it should not be RELEASED and should remain in BETA.
    What about this makes no sense?

Eh, I bet if Uber decided tomorrow that offline and private servers were not worth finishing due to whatever; you would still defend them. No doubt that this game will be profitable for them; but their follow up game may not due to the reputation that they are earning right now. We will see if they can make up for it.
  12. squishypon3

Yes, the games not finished. 1.0 to Uber doesn't mean finished, it meant they reached their core features, they've hit their goal of what they imagined the game would be.

A large scale RTS over the course of multiple planets with 1000+ units each team, with orbital, planet smashing, and etc..

You're just overreacting, as many people are. I have a 10GB Internet limit, do you think I like not being able to play the game due to DRM? No, but I understand why it's not completed yet. If you don't like the game stop coming to the forums and complaining when 1: You won't change your opinion, and 2: You won't change the majority of others. You came to a forum with the odds stacked against you, and the only excuse you could make is that you need to be vocal so Uber sees it, so offline will be coming. Except that it already is planned to be coming, so there's really no point. All you're doing is wasting your, and my time.

If you don't like the game, that's fine, write a review for it, and don't play it. No reason to push your hate down other's throats.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  13. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

None of my posts mention the word "hate" and I never said that I didn't like the game.
    However, this game has not met Uber's published goals nor my expectations.
    You may understand 'why' it is not completed yet; but I do not. My first post on this thread asked this very question and I have not received an answer. It is not completed because it is not completed is not an acceptable answer. Because it is hard to do is also not an acceptable answer.
  14. qazplm601

qazplm601 New Member

Posting again, on a old thread. :p but, as offline is now a thing, i feel i should express my gratitute, and end off this thread on a high note. thanks, Uber, now i can play PA a lot better, and get the full experience! i really liked the game when i was at the starbucks, but not being able to play at my house was a downer. anyway, glad it got implemented, good luck on human resources, and have a nice day! :)(im off to play my first offline game :D)
    Remy561, chronosoul, jables and 4 others like this.
  15. jables

jables Uber Employee

This part makes me happy. I love seeing people be able to enjoy PA. I'm just sorry it took as long as it did to get you able to.
    pizwitch, tatsujb, Remy561 and 2 others like this.
  16. qazplm601

qazplm601 New Member

:) yep. just played a few rounds of GW, and it is really fun. PA is a really fun game. don't worry i had plenty to do in the meantime, now i can have fun with PA as well. from what i have seen so far, it seems i spent my money well. :D

EDIT= oh cool, an employee! hi, nice to meet you :p
    Remy561 likes this.
  17. squishypon3

He's new, but pretty much the best thing to happen to PA for... A long time.

We all love ya' @jables ;)
    vackillers, dusanak and Remy561 like this.
  18. jables

jables Uber Employee

oh you guys :p
  19. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

Yea... they're in love with you now, but just wait... Give one unit 5 HP too much and they'll turn on you like starved wolves!
    ooshr32 likes this.