New deathstar cannon firerate

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by jorisk, September 7, 2014.

1. jorisk

jorisk Member

Hi,

Playing with 4 teams, we managed to set up the new Deathstar Cannon. I was quite suprised it has actually unlimited shots. Once we had it in our power, the game was finished, we simply took out all other planets.

Imho, this weapon is at the moment way too powerfull?

Regards,
    Joris
    zweistein000 likes this.
  2. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Well, it isn't the easiest thing to fire if you opponents actually have much hope of beating you anyways, from my experience.

However, it does seem mighty powerful.
    spittoon and philoscience like this.
  3. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

the annilazer should have a cool-down or something
    spittoon likes this.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

IMO, it's too powerful. It needs a cooldown.

Right now it's an instawin no matter the size of the system or how many players there are. I don't like that.

It should have a cooldown or an energy cost or something.
  5. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

It should cost alot more...
    spittoon likes this.
  6. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

It's counters aren't strictly obvious game mechanics, but more subtle.

Primarily the fact that everyone is aware what a metal planet can do, and that catalysts are visible to all. Every player should act accordingly, and attempt to have a presence on the metal planet, even if it's for one catalyst point only, to stop the enemy from firing.

Also, nukes can one shot them I think.

And even if that is not enough, a planet smash can destroy a catalyst point permanently, rendering the weapon inoperable.

If you get to the point in a game where you can fire one of these, you already deserve a win anyway.
    spittoon and EdWood like this.
  7. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

I think it should syphon off your energy until it has enough to fire again. But it should not have to charge before the first shot.
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

That might be a bit weird. I think a simple cool-down would suffice, or perhaps the cool shock wave that is emitted upon firing blows up the Catalysts, thus having to spend time rebuilding.
  9. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

How about having to build a giant energy transformer that fits in here. That way you would need a good amount of control of the planet instead of just the north pole.

[​IMG]

You would have to mass up a ton of energy into the transformer until it reaches 100%. How fast you are able to fire off the metal planet depends on how good your energy income is. thoughts/additional ideas?
    Ragmash, eukanuba, iron71 and 4 others like this.
  10. verybad

verybad Active Member

The energy drain system is my preference. This allows other players to attack your energy sources as another defensive method. Cool-down should be based on energy capabilities with perhaps a one minute minimum.

Perhaps a million energy per shot? It's not taking out a Dox here, it's taking out a planet...
    spittoon likes this.
  11. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

My opinion is that it is fine as is as it is very easy to intervene before the laser is complete. If you are so far behind you can't even get a tele, laser, or nuke down then the game should be lost. Otherwise matches will just drag on for eternity - once someone hits that exponential escape velocity I think they deserve to win handily. However I think maps with the laser need to be planned a bit more carefully. Ideally the best systems will either have the laser not as a starting option and with little eco, and/or with a small smash-able moon in play. Of course no problem with using mods to alter it however you wish.
    spittoon likes this.
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

energycosting minimumtimed (5 or 10 min?) recharge
  13. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

not every metal planet has one of those
  14. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

I know that 700+ radius planets do. :p I personally think that a planet smaller than that is not big enough to release enough energy to destroy a planet without destroying itself or the firing mechanism. but thats just me.
  15. Nuisible

Nuisible New Member

As said, if ennemy has the eco to build up the 5 catalyst (that everyone can see / get a notification), and you have nothing to counter it (nuke, sxx, teleporter...), this means you're far behind and ennemy deserves a win anyway.
    spittoon and philoscience like this.
  16. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

It's really powerful, but it can be countered easily if you're quick about it. A nuke can destroy one catalyst, and a well-placed planet smash can deactivate the entire annihilazer.
    MrTBSC and philoscience like this.
  17. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

some people (like me) cant play in planets with 500+ radius.
    spittoon likes this.
  18. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

I think a simple cooldown should be enough to balance it out -imho.
  19. DeadMG

DeadMG Member

It's not really imbalanced in a good system setup because you can Halley moons into the laser and destroy it.
  20. optica1x

optica1x Member

Give it a charge up time imo, and a universal warning to other players when the 5th node is constructed. " Death star online, weapon ready to fire in xxx amount of time"