PA single player still uses Servers?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by qazplm601, June 2, 2014.

1. qazplm601

qazplm601 New Member

hello. my internet is quite bad at my house. when i first bought PA, i thought i had wasted 60$ because there was only multiplayer. needless too say, i rejoiced when galactic war came out. this may already be known, but, Galactic war still needs you too play on a server. when i went on the first time,(for GW) i was confused by the immense lag. i got suspicious, so i disconnected the internet. soon as i did, it froze, then up came the "server disconnect" error.(no better internet is NOT an option. i have been told "get better internet U NUB" far too many times.(on other sites))
    Last edited: June 2, 2014
  2. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

Offline play will come when PA is officially released which will be version 1.0
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The reason that GW is still online (at this stage) is that Uber will have to release the server to enable offline play (the server will run in the background automatically if you want to play offline). As they have promised no DRM, this essentially means giving people the full game (which sadly will undoubtedly be illegally distributed by a small minority). There is also the issues of the fact that the server is still being very actively worked on and it's easier to keep that portion of the game in house at this stage.

The game will be released for offline play at version 1.0, this has been confirmed by the devs although I don't have the link to hand.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  4. qazplm601

qazplm601 New Member

thank you for the kind and informative replies. i will wait for 1.0
    (no, i am not going to ask for a release date. i hate it when people do that)
    websterx01 likes this.
  5. qazplm601

qazplm601 New Member

just like to say, "full release" and yet no (offline)singleplayer. :/ guess there will be another update in a while that adresses this. *waits* (i know this is a old thread, i made it) sorry if this sounds confrontational, i did not mean it that way, i'm just sad.
    Aranfan, argibargi91, drz1 and 2 others like this.
  6. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Lol
    Aranfan, kreidos and drewsuser like this.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It'll be coming soon, sorry, Uber's working on it. Offline is highest priority as far as we know.
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. cdrkf

I feel for you! Uber have been very clear its still coming, just wasn't ready in time. Hang in there, and kudos for being so civil about it :)
    argibargi91, drz1 and squishypon3 like this.
  9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

None of us are excited the game is still online (Especially with my crappy internet :p), but they are finalizing offline, and hopefully we'll get it very soon!
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Having spent some time at PAX where Uber was configuring local servers for the play there, offline mode is absolutely in no way ready for release at this point. I've run servers before, even Minecraft ones back before they had a proper UI for those, and some of the stuff they were having to do there at the event to get everything running was very much not user-friendly. There were lots of batch files involved.

They have a lot of UI work and edge-case troubleshooting to do before they can release anything that can be usable for the average user. I understand this is one of their biggest priorities post-launch - have patience, it shouldn't be too much longer.
    argibargi91, FSN1977, ace63 and 10 others like this.
  11. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Well, i'm content when it's their priority.
  12. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

The problem is, with every passing day more and more people are seeing this bad press about DRM. People are fickle, so I'm sure lots will come back once offline is ready, but it just feels like a significant portion of the potential profits are being lost by not having offline ready imminently after launch. But then, what do I know?! (Very little about game dev, that's for sure...)
  13. squishypon3

Well Pa's one of the top sellers on Steam atm. :D
    philoscience, cdrkf and drz1 like this.
  14. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Yeh, there's still hope, I for one hope it all turns out rosy. I REALLY want to see where this game goes over the next year.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I actually appreciate your tone, I just wanted to let you know that.

Way too many people are saying its to prevent pirating. TBH, the game is in a good position, and distributing it would encourage people to pay the 30 to be able to connect to the general playerbase and/or easily do the mods thing.

That is how I bought Kerbal. Used a friend's copy, then got the next version, the difference was so dramatic with the textures (I think the difference was .20 and .22) that I bought it on Steam.

The reason is simply that they had a lot of coding occupying them, choices were made to consolidate the game to well-working and focus entirely on that. The server was designed from start to use playfab and local. Still has to be structured with an easy user interface for a person to use. That is probably what they should work on next, when the dust settles.
  16. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

I haven't been active for a few months and just noticed that PA has been officially been released.
    I was so excited to play skirmish matches unplugged, yet my first game crashed due to loss of connection.

I was under the impression that 1.0 would come with the server and have told others the same.
    I have defended this game and Uber in general for quite some time but releasing the game without server is a dealbreaker. What is their reasoning on this? Why rush release and break promises, a released game should be considered finished. If they are still "working on it" then it is not finished. Are they planning on starting the alpha/beta/gamma development all over again with private server code? We know it will be riddled with bugs and for a released game this is unacceptable.
  17. squishypon3

(Sorry Cwarner x3 )
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  18. cdrkf

It is still coming, they are quite definite about that, it just isn't ready yet.

I think what happened was they chose a date for *physical* release and once you start a process like that you can't really cancel it. So they had to go with what they had.
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

It's fine, I was contemplating doing the same thing :p I've spammed it just about everywhere else
  20. squishypon3

The funny thing is that was literally said in this thread, which means he just didn't read. :p

(This is how ignorance forms)