Twitch/Internet culture treats women badly.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by thetrophysystem, September 5, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Taxman66 likes this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

While I don't at all in any way approve of what was said in that stream, I don't see why it's being called "offensive".
    When I think of something as offensive I think of something aggressive, hurtful something said with genuine disdain or malice behind it.

That chat was just a bunch of stupid morons being stupid morons. If they had said something along the lines of "womyn dont belong in da wurk place hur dee durr" THAT would be offensive, but what it actually was, was just plain stupidity. I don't know maybe I missed something said in the chat that was actually hurtful?
    Geers likes this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Meh. Didn't say it was the worse I saw. I had to actually beat guys for what I saw before. This, is a quarter of as bad as I've seen.

If I don't call twitch culture trash for doing this, they will think it's ok. It's kinda not okay. It's like they don't realize they act like a mob, or as I said before, it's okay to act like a mob because mobs are too big to ward off.

As far as acting like a mob goes, they need to grow up and stop acting like unbearable knobs. That is in general, the dongers and all, all of it. I am aware of espirit de corps. This twitch spam isn't that. This literally is acting completely stupid for the sake of it. About game keys. About issues they want to address. They do everything in the stupidest way. They need to know that.

Hey, twitch spammers, nobody likes you.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Unfortunately I think that's a terrible naive view. It takes tremendous strength of character to achieve that, and to be honest, why should you need to harden yourself? You're moving into victim blaming at that point where it's not the fault of the insulter, but the insultee for not being immune to their insults.
  5. Devak

Devak Post Master General

The situation's not that simple, but for a good part, if a troll hurts you, that's because you allow him to hurt you.

The only way to win a war with a troll on a personal level, is to recognize a troll for a troll, and act appropriately namely issue a report if the option is given and ignoring him.

While i do agree that it's not OK to allow this kind of behavior, it's ultimately very hard to deal with. That's what we have moderators, spam filters and ignore buttons for.
  6. Quitch

No, you ban them. You explain that this behaviour isn't acceptable, and you demonstrate this by banning them. People can only spout this BS if you let them, telling the victims to tough it out is pathetic. It is the people spouting the BS who should change, not the people they're spouting it at.

You work to create a friendly and inviting community, you don't just tell people "tough ****, that's how it is, just ignore them".
    hearmyvoice likes this.
  7. thetbc

thetbc Member

I really hate the amount of exposure this is getting because internet culture also treats men equally badly, it just doesn't have as much of an effect
  8. Geers

To illustrate your point (kind of):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Men in advertising are portrayed the same way women are.
  9. Quitch

It really doesn't. Yes, it happens, no it's not on the same level at all.
  10. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Saying that the sticks and stones mantra is bollocks implies that moving to ignore people isn't beneficial to the person who's being insulted. I never said you had to be immune to their insults, I said you could bed.

And in my experiences mute buttons work infinitely better than bans. There are a billion ways to avoid a ban, and generally when people get filtered/muted they don't even notice and it all ends there.

Your "work to create a friendly and inviting community" fuels the flames unless it is upkept to what is a lot of times an impossible degree. It takes more work to do that successfully than the "tremendous strength of character" it takes to just admit the person isn't worth it.

And Geers, I'm not sure how you're going to advertise underwear without being half naked. Unless none of those are underwear ads.

EDIT: WHAT IS IT WITH ME BREAKING QUOTES LATELY. Holy ****.
  11. Geers

True, true. I'm just sick of all the "omg how come all the girls in the ads are so thin and sexy it creates a totally unrealistic role model and objectifies women" complaints as if it only happens to women.
  12. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I did my best to moderate the chat and ban those I felt were crossing the line and putting some in "time out" to warn them when I felt they were getting too close to the line. We need to moderate each other. If you see something in chat that is offensive, tell them! The best way to promote maturity is to be it yourself.
    nonesuchnick likes this.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Or to get some more admins.. *hint hint, nudge nudge.* ;)
  14. thetrophysystem

Well that is another very popular discussion in the SMNC threads. Why are all the female characters all based off of characteristics that are generically expected of ideal feminine physique? Artemis is rough around the edges, and still very much pitgirl/assassin shaped.
  15. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? No one discusses that

They're probably both based off the assassin rig
  16. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Well there was going to be the fem enforcer at some point that I imagine would've been a huge departure. The others are probably just being a poor indie studio recycling skeletons, and while I myself obviously don't find issue with the characters (aside from GS being booooring and Artemis being a sharpie and as such I can't play her), it's mostly because the game is basically satire. It could be done a lot BETTER, mind, and I'd rather there were a lot more variations to counter CG and MBs role as the "desirable" characters (There was still a huge disparity in male:female characters as well).

Also, as someone with experience, I can say I'm even more not-bothered by PG's skimpy uniform because I wore that for a day and it was hella comfortable
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. thetrophysystem

It was southern based attire, of course it's confortable. As wierd as it may seem, the skeleton recycling was probably more responsible, the characters themself fit a persona.
  18. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I'll just point this out again:

The point of a troll IS to induce rage. You don't need to toughen up, you need to realize that they're trolls, out there for no purpose other than to hurt you and invoke a response. Getting hurt by a troll is because again, you let them. Pressing the mute button is the second step, followed by the report button. i never said you shouldn't report such people.

It's not exclusively women, but saying it's on the same level is just not true.
  19. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I would imagine. It's still a bit off that they'd put more effort into various male skeletons and then only have one female, but it's still more than a lot of games have.
    And I need to start working out, looking at old photos of me wearing the PG attire and I got kinda fat. Half my cosplay ideas involve showing belly and I need to have.. not a belly.

Yeah, these are only undie ads for the males. Women are represented like this in adverts for nearly everything
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  20. Geers

Don't know about you but off the top of my head I can't think of too many ads that didn't star Sir Sixpack McAbs.
    squishypon3 likes this.