When Catalysts are Destroyed During Firing Sequence, Metal Planets Should Explode!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nlaush, September 6, 2014.

1. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

I mean seriously? Where does all that pent up energy go? I had an opponent nuke a catalyst and the planet firing sequence just shut down! That energy should have created a chain reaction and destroyed my planet, instead I get a decidedly unepic end to the firing sequence. :(

Use of the laser should have a major downside for no cooldown and unlimited use. You don't defend them and they get destroyed when firing, you lose the planet (or at least the catalysts!)
    bradaz85, Remy561, cdrkf and 5 others like this.
  2. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

The annihilaser needs soem tuning, but self destruction means its the same as a planet ram, making it no different
  3. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

But it would only self destruct if destroyed during firing warmup! :)
    bradaz85, Remy561, Twinstar and 4 others like this.
  4. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Now thats a good idea, if someone gets rid of a catalyst while mid fire it could backfire, which would be cool!
    cdrkf and nlaush like this.
  5. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

I'd just love to see a moon smash into the firing end right before it goes off and have a massive backblow destroy the entire metal planet. :p.

That being said, I think these Deathlasers need a power requirement and actual (re)charging cycle that takes a few minutes.
    nlaush likes this.
  6. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

I feel like that kind of balance is very um...... unbalanced. The aniahlaser just needs a cool down time of a few minutes between firing to balance it out. Self destruction is over kill.
  7. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Is it? remember that this thing tracks moving celestials. Getting a snipe off while charging would be very hard indeed.
    And it would add some risk to using the otherwise game winning deathlaser.
    Last edited: September 7, 2014
  8. Lukekk

Lukekk New Member

Maybe like required power stores dedicated for the laser on like the equator/ one big one on the opposite pole of the planet, so then it's harder to defend as well?
    nlaush likes this.
  9. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Well right now, you get the laser and it is IWIN. Because it is not destroyed when fired like a smash is. This would add an element of risk to firing the laser as you just rebuild a catalyst when one is destroyed.

I don't think the laser needs a cooldown with this. If you allowed them to get the laser, you deserve to die. However, if you can slip something past, like an SXX Laser, invasion army, nuke, planet smash, or whatever, the penalty for an interrupted firing should be more than a simple rebuild of the destroyed the catalyst.
  10. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Well I'd like the charging to work differently.
    As it stands the laser only charges as it's about to fire, and immediately fires. (and because it can track moving celestials, it can insta-snipe everything being thrown at it)

I'd like a slightly more gradual charge-up, where it can keep this charge without firing. and the charge only dissipates when you decide to fire. This adds risk to choosing to charge it, as you make yourself vulnerable for a time, but it also prepares you to counter any celestials being thrown at you. Because if you only start the charge after a celestial gets moving, you are already screwed.
    corteks likes this.
  11. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

That's good. I like that!
    elonshadow likes this.
  12. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Thanks!

I'd like people to have to make risk/reward decision.

In this case they'd have to guess which is more likely, having their catalysts sniped by nukes or SSX, or get a moon to the face. You can only really be defended against one.
    nlaush likes this.
  13. cadaverer

cadaverer New Member

I'd like to throw out the idea of an EMP burst every time the planet fires, losing the eco from your metal planet temporarily might make people think twice about firing it.
    bengeocth and nlaush like this.
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

15. cadaverer

cadaverer New Member

Is that directed at me? I just don't see how a giant laser wouldn't create an EMP...
    honestly however they balance it wouldn't have to be anything major... it just has to be something that can be exploited by the enemy team.
  16. MrTBSC

i didn´t quote you, most unquoted posts are meant torwards OP
    but now since i actualy read your post too ...
    yea i would direct this add you as well ...
    emp on eco is just to hard a penalty depending on how much you have on the planet ... seriously give it an expensive recharge with a minimum time of 5 to 10 minutes and it will be ok ...
  17. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Unit cannon would balance this quite well, load up bomb bots an let em fly.
    nlaush likes this.
  18. MrTBSC

depends on if you can fire the unitcannon from everywere sending units everywere or if it is locked to orbiting planets only ...
  19. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Well you can re-position planets with halleys, so that's not really an issue. Besides limiting it to nearby planets only would serve to be stupid.
  20. cadaverer

cadaverer New Member

It being a penalty is kind of the point. I mean when it fires it deletes part of the map.
    Also giving the enemy team a small window of time to get onto the planet would be better than a large cool down imo because if you held the thing for long enough to build the catalysts chances are you can hold it for however long the countdown is
    nlaush likes this.