[Fixed]Fed up with this: [extreme!] Bad performance

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Devak, September 6, 2014.

1. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I'm not really sure how to put this to words. I love the game. I do. But the performance is absolute **** now. I even checked minimum specs and it passes. At graphics low, everything low, no intensive background programs on. This is my performance:

a 2-planet game takes ~6 minutes to load between the "play game" part and the part where i can actually issue commands. However, the game forces a start after a while meaning i'm always late. I can't play a game against even a Normal Commander because he's going planetary when i build my first factory.

The Pax Prime system i tried today, it took 15 minutes to load. Again it's not the preload, that's surprisingly fast. It's the actual loading, drawing and playing of the game.

Once loaded, the performance is again total ****. The FPS counter flips between 10 and 30, dips to 0.1 sometimes. Occasionally the game freezes. This is shortly after landing with ~10 units on screen.

Playing goes with constant lag. Sim and Server seem to be at about 10FPS and 1FPS (the normal values) so this seems to be a client side problem.

A lengthy (~3 pages) tech support thread yielded nothing but an intensely annoying "my computer's worse yet the game runs smoother than yours". It's not in the graphics card (ATI Radeon mobility 5850), i have an i5, 4GB RAM (so minimum-ish specs) yet it doesn't even remotely play normal. I can't even call it "playing".

Beta was a time of un-optimized game yet it ran smoother (a LOT) than the current, optimized game.

I'm not even sure what i'm looking for as an answer to this thread. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem. I wonder if there's anything Uber can do on their end, even if it was just spending ~5 minutes looking at what my computer tells their servers. I don't think that in this state, i can even start a game when the Server is released.

Is it something exotic about my computer? some program that kills it, some library or code that runs like hell? i don't know, but i would like to have some form of playing this game.
    kryovow and MrTBSC like this.
  2. Devak

To give you an idea, from the "what are your computer specs thread"
    A guy with inferior graphics card and inferior processor has a better perf than me.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've been seeing a number of reports like this on reddit and steam.
  4. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

5. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Try playing a system without a gas giant. Gas giants are huge RAM hogs and if you only have 4GB you will suffer.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i have issues with starting the game on loading the planet ... so i too get to choose a start location rather later or not at all ...
  7. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Odd because gas giants are the fastest and least memory taking planets for me.
    websterx01, nlaush and squishypon3 like this.
  8. portable

portable Active Member

9. portable

portable Active Member

Also, I know this goes without saying, but are you running anything else? Like an eDonkey Compviz Torrent Server Render Farm?
  10. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

How do you know?
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Because they load fast for him? I dunno, all they are are a moving textures. It's just like how planets covered in water load quickly.
  12. epicblaster117

Because a system with like 10 gas giants and one moon rendered in like 10 seconds but a system with 10 regular planets took much longer.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Though to be fair I run on single planet systems... :p
  14. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

That doesn't confirm that it takes less memory.
  15. epicblaster117

Gas planets are preety much just moving backrounds on a sphere, it takes as much resources to render than making a desktop backround.
  16. Devak

Even standard, small, procedural systems of a planet + moon run like ****. I'm working on the Uberprobe but last game it just threw up it's hands and stopped working entirely. I'll see if i can record a video with my phone, get a few uberprobes and hopefully this can help a lot of other people too.

My laptop is an MSI GX660, maybe the MSI brand has something to do with it? All the obvious stuff i've heard, checked and debunked already.
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Your ram is the issue. When you're using an integrated graphics you absolutely NEED 8 gb. Discreet can limp along with 6 gb, but integrated needs a full 8gb.
  18. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

If you are running PA on Steam, try to disable the Steam Overlay. It may cause performance issue with OpenGL.
  19. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Its basically like the sun, just some textures with no real physics(although planets that accidentaly touches the sun gets vaporized)
  20. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

This makes me worry why my RAM usage is hitting my full 8GB on fairly small systems.