PA mid game crash

Discussion in 'Support!' started by lancemich, September 6, 2014.

1. lancemich

lancemich Member

For months now every time I play PA my game always crashes, the screen goes black but the PA cursor stays on screen but the game never loads back so I have to close the game. I get the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered" I thought this may all get fixed once the game was optimized but after the gas giants update etc i managed to play a game perfectly so I thought it had stopped but since then ive play about 4 games and 3 of them have crashed and ive gotten that message. This is so annoying as I cant manage to complete a game unless its on a really small scale that will only take about 10-15 minutes.
  2. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Have you tried updating your drivers? What are your system specs? You should upload a DxDiag with them too.

It could also be overheating. Does this problem occur in any of your other games?
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

We can probably help fix this as the game is pretty stable on Windows, however we need more info... Dxdiag would help, also make and model of your machine if it's a laptop....
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Moving this to the PA support forum.
  5. lancemich

lancemich Member

Heres
    Here is my DxDiag files, nope pretty sure it cant be due to over heating because its only after 10 or s minutes of playing and this doesn't occur with any of my other games.

Attached Files:

6. lancemich

lancemich Member

here is my dxdiag, I can tell you that im using a PC and not a laptop but I dont know how to find out its model

Attached Files:

7. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

I believe this may be your problem:
    Driver Date/Size: 4/30/2013 05:19:54, 1094024 bytes
    Your drivers haven't been updated in around 1.5 years.

I'm not familiar with AMD but I think you can use this tool to help you update your drivers:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool
  8. varrak

varrak Official PA

Yep. That old a driver is pretty much guaranteed to crash. I'm amazed you get even 15 minutes of play. Contact our support team if the game still crashes with the latest drivers.
  9. cdrkf

I think a bit of the issue here is that AMD don't provide new drivers for the 4000 range, I think there *is* a newer driver than that, but it's still about a year old at best.

In this case I think your best option would be to install a free linux distro, as the open source linux drivers are kept up to date for that card *and* the Linux UI crash bug looks like its been sorted out. Either that or look at a newer graphics card.
  10. lancemich

lancemich Member

I updated them when I first got PA but I think since AMD dont give new drivers thats why its saying that :/
  11. lancemich

lancemich Member

Would you be able to provide a link please? because Im clueless with what it is id be looking for for the Linxus distro
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. cdrkf

I'd recommend you look at 'Ubuntu'...

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Get the 64 bit "14.04" version (should be in link above). All you need to do- download the ISO, burn it to a dvd and then boot from the disk (to do this go into the Bios and change the boot order so its DVD drive first). You can load Ubuntu directly from the disk to test it (this is to ensure it's compatible with your hardware). If it all loads up OK, then you can install. The installer will be able to steal some free HDD space from windows (so need to make sure you have a good chunk of free space, 100gb is probably a good idea if you can spare it), and once installed will set up a 'dual boot' option so you will get a choice of which OS to load when you start up your computer. I think they recommend to burn the disk at minimum available speed to ensure it's readable as a boot disk. The 'open source' linux drivers for AMD cards are actually not too bad and support the 4800 cards even now AMD don't themselves so it should get you going (also Steam is available in Ubuntu via the software centre if you have a Steam key for PA).

Ubuntu installation instructions (it's pretty slick actually :)):
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-desktop
  13. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Did you follow that link I gave you? It's an automatic update utility for AMD cards. Unless your card is ancient it will still be supported.
  14. cdrkf

According to his DXDIAG, his card is a HD4800, which is 1 generation too old (AMD only support as far back as the HD5000 range which are DX11, the HD4xxx cards were only DX10 so have been dropped off the support list unfortunately).
  15. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

Oh, that's a shame. The tool should still tell him if the drivers on his card are the latest possible for his device.