Dox are now a must first build!

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by CYBERgrim, September 5, 2014.

1. CYBERgrim

CYBERgrim New Member

Yes the dox have been nerfed but early, close combat there are a must, and can not be stopped!. No other counter can stop them.

I not saying this is bad, just making a statement.
    I have tried air and flame tanks. Neither can get the mass or speed to equal the dox. 4-6 bot factories can be run on 1 mass and 1 energy, while just 1 fabber expands on mass and 1 on energy.

The dox are fast going every where doing raiding, scouting, and when the enemy is weak from lack of resources, the main attacking.

If you want to survive do the same.....
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Seen players not, worked for them, need more compelling arguement.

Right now, I fully recognize that going dox "feels easiest to do first". It isn't the most tactically difficult thing to do. Probably because of the lack of "high rate low damage" weapons in-game.

That just makes it a pubstomper though. Seen people beat generic dox rushes and starting dox without going dox. Dox is just easy in pub matches.
  3. sodusentinelx

sodusentinelx Member

Air works, if you keep your bombers hidden until the very last moment... Dox apparently have a priority on ground/building attack and bombers wreck them when they try to focus your buildings... Especially since they tend to clump up so heavily! 1-2 bombers can take a VERY large group of Dox' down in one sweep, just don't give them the opportunity to target the bombers first ;)

(can anyone actually confirm if there is attack priority in this game? otherwise i'm sorry for any and all BS that i posted here :D)

Tanks work too, but you literally need factories everywhere! 1 tank beats around 3 (maybe 4?) Dox, but they are a lot slower, so you have to keep that in mind.

The only reason i go bot factory first is because the fabs are a lot faster than Tank Fabs... Air is even faster but too costly that early :)

I do have to say that bots combine well lately! My factory (infinite production) is like this now
    2 Dox - 1 Grenadier - 2 Dox - 1 Grenadier - MedicBot -> Repeat forever

The Grenadiers are awesome in combination with the faster Dox and the CombatFabs keep them alive sooooo much longer!!! Set grenadiers on an attack vector and run circles around your enemies with the fast Dox'! Hilarity ensues :D
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

"target_layers":["WL_LandHorizontal","WL_Seafloor","WL_WaterSurface","WL_Air"]

Not sure if they work by numerical order prioritization. If so, then yes. Either way, dox can no longer reliably take down tons of bombers based on sheer numbers of dox. A maximum amount of dox still can allow a lot of bombers to make it without dying, and the more dox the more bombers get kills, every bomber can just flatten 8 dox and you can't move all of them out the way in large groups. In small groups, they just die to other things like tanks. In large groups, they only attrition bombers, bombers still waste mass quantities of dox.

"display_name":"Fabrication Vehicle","navigation":{"type":"land-small","acceleration":120,"brake":120,"move_speed":12,"turn_speed":360,"group_preference":"back"}

"display_name":"Fabrication Bot","navigation":{"type":"land-small","acceleration":120,"brake":120,"move_speed":12,"turn_speed":360,"group_preference":"back"}

Same speed.

What bot does different, is factory uses less resources and produces more units and faster units, albeit terrible health and damage. Vehicle consumes more resources and produces slower units and less units in same time, but units can take so much damage, which also benefits from "combat fabbers" and all sorts of weapons like turrets and ubercannon.

Dox can do many things, but they cannot handle an ubercannon hit, nor a turret from a walled angle. Now, dox have grenadiers that may sneak a turret kill at a higher cost than just the dox but more effective. However, ants can pound on pretty strong turrets, with a wall their better option is flame tank which just dissolves walls.

So they are both decent.
  5. sodusentinelx

sodusentinelx Member

Interesting...

The Bot fabber does "feel" faster... Can't argue with the numbers though, they are the same speed then. I knew bots where a lot less costly, but the combination of Dox-Grenadier seems very strong atm :) stronger than the Inferno-Tank combo (it's just so much slower). While in overall power the Vehicle Tech OWNS bots, they just get circled. I mostly start with bots, then start adding on Tanks when i feel more power is needed over speed and end the game right there :)

Or i go orbital, keep him busy and flash him with some of those LAZOOOOORRRSSSS :D

Oh and CYBERGrim:

Maybe try the following build:

1. 1Mex
    2. Bot Factory (instantly make 5 Fabs, 10 Dox, 5 Fabs, 30 Dox)
    *1st fabber on Mex Expansion
    *2nd Fabber on Energy
    *Commander on 5 Energy then Air Factory
    3. 3rd fabber on Bot Factories (around 8 total), assist if needed!
    *Set up factories with my previous build queue (2D - 1G - 2D - 1G- 1CF)
    * Other fabbers assist or build the necessary rescource structures
    4. Once the Air Factory is ready, queue up around 50 fighter and Shift-Patrol them over your base! Keeps enemy bombers away nice and early :)
    5. Start extra bot fabbers, and get the Comm on more energy!
    6. Extra bot fabbers start on T2, Orbital and Tanks
    Last edited: September 5, 2014
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

As the trophy system says dox is probably the safest factory to build first. But the use is more for the fabber and send out some dox to keep the enemy bombers occupied.

@sodusentinelx that build is much too slow and will be beaten by most players. Unit composition is needed now. A typical start build from top level players is, bot factory( making 3 fabbers then dox) mex, air factory, 3rd factory is more what do you prefer doing rather. I prefer air. 2 fabber get mex 1 on energy. Commander build a couple of energy before Qing up veh or bots or air to counter the opponents build and circumstances.

Units will attack the closest unit to them unless a higher priority level is within range.
  7. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

Slightly off-topic but I I like how scouting is back in a big way again as there is no definitive builds any more. I think that you need all 3 main t1 factories pretty much regardless of the situation unless you are on a very small planet.
  8. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

They are only good at raiding mex expansions and a single laser defence tower prevents that. that's the counter.
  9. optica1x

optica1x Member

just remove there ability to go in water and shoot air ffs, why on earth can they do this?
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Because otherwise the bots have no anti-air, (the anti-air bot was removed quite a while ago), besides... they're not even that good at shooting aircraft, at all, they can't hit fighters and are lucky to take out bombers. They also can't fire underwater. :p
  11. Yosharian

Yosharian New Member

What is/are 'dox'?

+ what is this unit that can go into the water and fire at air? I was pretty surprised earlier today when I built my first adv bot factory and found no anti-air units at all O-o
  12. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Grenadiers now hard counter doc with their AOE as long as you micro them. Check out zaphod's stream from last night for examples.
  13. orangerinapay

orangerinapay Active Member

Dox are the basic tech1 assault bot (not the grenadier, artillery bot). Dox can go underwater and shoot at air but are not as accurate as an AA vehicle/AA tower when it comes to taking out fighters or bombers.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Dox's are alright, they get chewed up by bombers, and a sizeable army of bolos can Tau them to death.

[​IMG]