Uber Entertainment: The hype, the awesome, and the gratitude.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mered4, September 4, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

TA modding is actually extremely unintuitive :/
  2. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Firstly, the minor gripe.

The words "hype" or "hyping" are bad words. Don't use them here. They don't just mean "excitement" or "generating excitement". They have strong connotations of unjustified excitement, fed by disingenuous marketing and followed by disappointment. It speaks volumes that many games-industry marketing executives have chosen hype as the word to describe their marketing strategies. In fact, an extremely cynical person would note that by encouraging the alteration of the usage of a word to remove the negative connotations, a marketer deprives their subjects of a negative word that may be levelled at products. Of course contemplating such far-reaching, Orwellian machinations would be so absurd as to be the purvey of paranoid conspiracy theorists, and it's a good job nobody here is one of those!

Onto the main point.

I'm often critical of PA. I do this only after careful consideration and because I want PA to live up to it's potential. And that potential is absolutely staggering. I would go as far as to say that PA's potential is more so than any other game under development at the moment. PA has already delivered on a significant proportion of that potential. The music is spectacular. The AI is cunning. The effects are delightful. The very fact that we have an RTS with thousands of simulated projectiles operating remotely in multiple, independently moving, spherical potential wells in a more-or-less performant manner is fantastic in and of itself.

Uber. You have done well.

I hope that following this, everyone at Uber takes a well deserved rest. After that, I hope that uber and the community can draw a line under the past few weeks, and put aside any animosity that may have developed in this difficult time. There is still a long way to go, and if PA is to reach its potential then the community and Uber will need to work together in order to progress things.
    Last edited: September 5, 2014
  3. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

So, with work and all, I finally got around to playing some PA. I think I spent the first 45 minutes just watching my Commander blow up in the ChronoCam from all different camera angles. I noticed one thing when you in really close is kinda looks like Marshmellows melting. At least with my PC's specs. haha

Then I figure I try playing. Damn I need to read a controls guide. haha

[Edit]
    I didn't know where else to post this and I didn't want to make a new thread. :D
    mered4 and squishypon3 like this.