Serious questions about the servers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, September 3, 2014.

1. dusanak

dusanak Member

I am not sure but I think I read somewhere on the forums that they have server computers with 8 core processors and 16 GB of RAM. And on each server computer there are 8 servers (thus 1 server per core/thread).
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Then why aren't you planning on releasing the server on Friday?

It just seems strange more than anything that you're waiting until post-release. Especially since no DRM was practically a selling point as it was advertised on the Kickstarter and your website. Surely you guys see some flaw in this?

I have no doubts in my mind that you'll be able to fix some of the gnarly server issues we're seeing by tomorrow, but if people aren't getting good performance on something that should be offline (G.W., AI Skirmish) then that really won't matter, flak will happen.

First impressions for a game mean a lot, and when someone plays an AI skirmish and lags because of the server, well, first impressions aren't going to be that good :/
    bradaz85, Aranfan and ace63 like this.
  3. gremjs03

gremjs03 New Member

LOL my new SQL Server at work will have 192 gigs of RAM. Yes 192... insane I know :p
  4. wolfie88

wolfie88 New Member

Indeed. A few days ago I played the game without any serious lag on a system with a i5 3570k (4.3 ghz) with 16 gb ram and a gtx 670 and now indeed, updated to a new version and after 15 min in a 3v3 skirmish game the game started to lag badly. Strange but Uber knows the reason and they'll fix it.
  5. burlayz

burlayz Member

So when exactly are we going to be able to play offline?

Even a rough estimate would be appreciated.
  6. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

Hey guys,

Yesterday the whole team pulled out some 11th hour heroics and things should be back to normal. At this point I'd hope for things to perform roughly the same as they did a week ago. Maybe even a tiny bit faster, but I'd be thrilled if we simply got back to where things were before the sudden down turn. Suffice to say we're monitoring the situation closely.

It would be great for me if you guys could play some "normal" games tonight and post here if they're back to normal or not. I am very specifically asking if performance is back to what it was a week ago. If you have a huge game with thousands of units the server is still going to get slow and time dilation will still happen. But lord willing there will be no more catastrophic slow down 5 minutes into a small game on a single moon.
    melhem19, pizwitch, Remy561 and 5 others like this.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I haven't tested, but from what I've heard it's silky smooth. :D
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

by the look of posidian's stream it is back to 'normal', i mean good but not amazing.

The lag from building 5 units is removed, and now i can build mega bases again!
  9. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Just played a lovely compstomp and the performance was great.
    philoscience likes this.
  10. lucidus

lucidus New Member

Had a smooth game that topped out around 3.5k units. Looks better!
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I played a few games last night. We had some slow down in a big multi planet match, however we know what was going on (large area patrols with 200+ dox on a planet with trees...).

This gives me an idea, in the interest of playability do you think it might be an idea to *disable area patrol for ground units* for the time being? It is rather easy to kill the sim speed at the moment (and although I avoid doing this, many players seen to insist on spamming 500 dox, area patrol a whole planet, then moan about the sim performance)...

Edit: I think it should be kept for fabbers / combat fabbers as it's handy for assisting and area reclaim, however for combat units it's only useful if your being lazy (flood a planet with dox for example) and kills the game performance.
  12. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

I decided to see for myself. Spectating a game notice the results:

I am sure with time it will get better.
    The sim speed didn't completely stop which is nice.
    The blue player had a lot of units on planetary patrol.
    It seems like there should be a recommended amount of units at this time.

Playing the game myself it feels very snappy.
    Last edited: September 8, 2014
    drz1 and cdrkf like this.