Unable to Start Replay...

Discussion in 'Support!' started by brianpurkiss, September 4, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Indeed fails. No idea why.
  3. brianpurkiss

#*%&^

Specifically played that match to setup a scenario for a video. And it seems to be gone. Huge bummer.
  4. cola_colin

Maybe someone from Uber can look at the replay and tell what's going on. Maybe some sort of server crash or the like?
  5. brianpurkiss

Would this be related to that fire? :-(
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Doesn't show up in my recently played list. :(
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

At least it doesn't crash the game like one of mine does.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Confirm that it's not loading like if it's wouldn't exist (invalid ID).
  9. chargrove

chargrove Uber Alumni

10. chargrove

chargrove Uber Alumni

Not seeing that replay in our storage. :( Did you complete the match? Replays only store if the server shuts down normally (hopefully it wasn't a server crash).

You weren't by chance running with cheats enabled, were you? Specifically the "mod data updates" cheat. The other cheats (change vision, change control, create unit) are all fine, but if the mod data updates cheat is enabled we have to disable replay saving, since mid-game mod package updates can be great for testing but they do terrible things to the history system. Thought I'd ask.
    wondible likes this.
  11. stuart98

12. brianpurkiss

Happened to this one too: http://www.pastats.com/chart?gameId=198443

Yes. We were playing with cheats enabled. @stuart98 set it up, so I don't know which cheats were enabled. But that'd probably be it. I'll ping him.
  13. brianpurkiss

Thanks for the quick responses. Sorry for wasting your time on it just being that cheat enabled.

At least it's not a bug!
  14. chargrove

chargrove Uber Alumni

Yeah, feel free to run with the other cheats enabled, replays don't care about them. But don't turn on the mod data updates cheat unless you're deliberately doing mid-game mod testing (for balance mod tuning etc).
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  15. stuart98

I haven't even ever been able to get that cheat to work...
  16. chargrove

chargrove Uber Alumni

Crap, did that break again? Arggh...

Edit: 9/12/2014: The mod data updates cheat does appear to be working for me; here's a few things to check:

1. Make sure the cheat is listed in the server mods section of the lobby for the game you're starting (i.e. make sure the cheat is actually enabled).

2. Once in the game, make sure the "Publish Server Mods" command is bound to a key. Look under Settings -> Keyboard -> Dev Mode -> Publish Server Mods (note that you shouldn't actually have to be running under dev mode; it's just a category of keyboard bindings in this case). My default is Ctrl+Alt+P.

3. When you hit the key combo, you should see a "Generating Planets" again as if a bunch of stuff got reset (which it does, unfortunately; this includes things like your camera bookmarks which unfortunately get cleared when this happens. You're quite literally resetting a bunch of stuff on the client). You should get indications that your mod got reloaded, for example if you update a unit and change its display_name or description, you should see those changes reflected in the build bar hover for that unit.

Note that some unit spec changes are constant across the spec (meaning that if you update it it'll affect every unit instantly), whereas others are propagated to individual units and will require you to build new instances of them to see the change.
    Last edited: September 13, 2014
    Geers likes this.
  17. brianpurkiss

http://www.pastats.com/chart?gameId=198464

Didn't use that cheat and we can't load the replay for this game. So maybe this is a bug? Or maybe replays don't work when any cheats are enabled?

It's low priority stuff. But still. Just a heads up.
  18. cola_colin

Started fine for me, the fact that you have avatars shows that cheats are enabled.
    [​IMG]
    SXX likes this.
  19. brianpurkiss

Yes. We did have cheats enabled. But according to @chargrove, only that one refresh cheat prevented replays. Other cheats are fine.

Tried it again and the replay is loading this time. Nothing is different, except for time, even though I did try loading the replay 15+ minutes after the match was over. Maybe it just took a while to prep or something?
  20. chargrove

chargrove Uber Alumni

That could be; if it's a large replay and/or there are any backend hiccups, it could take a few minutes for the replay file to be fully copied up to S3.