[MNCL] - The Monday Night Combat League

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Clans, Team, and Tournament' started by Tehpalekid, February 6, 2011.

1. Tehpalekid

Tehpalekid New Member

[​IMG]

Im guessing by reading this you are interested in the welfare of Monday Night Combat as a competitive game; as are we. We, in short, wish to organise the formation of a league for Monday Night Combat to serve as something for the clans of Monday Night Combat to compete within, instead of just the skirmishes that are being organised at present.

We arent a huge company; we are a handful of people who want to see this game do well and as such want to start something rather than waiting for something to start itself. Therefore, we are looking for support in all forms: manpower; servers; suggestions; feedback and anything else which gets this thing off the ground. We cant promise to be the biggest thing since sliced bread, and we cant offer clans that compete huge sums of cash.

We are in search of the following volunteers in particular:

- League Admin A League Admin keeps contact with teams in the league and helps matches get organised and played. As well as keeps match information flowing so the League Table can stay updated.
    - League Promoter A League Promoter needs to be a very social player as they must get more teams involved in the league; as well as actively pursue attempts at getting the league support.

We can however offer to be the communitys league; and offer something for clans to get behind. We arent going to make decisions we dont feel entitled to. The league will be very amiable; the rules will change from season to season depending on the state of the game.

After knocking our heads together this is what we have come up with so far:

Rules

- In regards to things like overtime; round length etc these will all be default.
    - 6v6; no class limits*; people may change classes whenever they like.
    - Matches are a best of three.
    - The first map is dictated at random; the subsequent map(s) are chosen by the loser of the previous round.*

Setup

- Teams have 2* weeks to organise and play the match after it is scheduled on the website.
    - If the match does not go ahead it is declared a draw unless it is found that one team was the cause, in which case that team will lose by default. This decision is made by a League Admin.
    - Teams that do not show up for 80%* of their matches are disqualified from the following season.

* = This is a hot-topic, and we heavily encourage your opinion on it.

We arent expecting to hit the nail on the head the first time round; we want the league to grow up; however for it to get off the ground we need teams to show their support for the idea.

We are looking for someone to sponsor a dedicated server for us to organise matches on!
    Last edited: February 9, 2011
  2. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Re: Monday Night Combat League

Looking good so far, as far as rules and such go. However with a tournament mode lacking map choices etc. are a bit of a hassle.

I'd like to take this opportunity to pool for a competitive mode again, I hereby also offer my help to the appropriate people to give my insight into the necessary bits of a competitive ruleset/convar.

I can say with confidence that our team will participate when our lineup is full (2 people lacking) and that we will support this project should it go somewhere.

Having said that, I am also willing to offer my help as League Admin - as long as it doesn't impair my ability to participate in the same season.

I wish you good luck.
  3. zanarias

zanarias Member

I'd consider taking a position as promoter, but I hardly know who you are or if this is serious. The last guy who tried to make a tournament/league failed miserably due to lack of credentials, lack of a decent rule setup, and lack of servers. While I'm at least seeing a step in the right direction in terms of rules, I'm not exactly feeling great about someone who claims to have a company with a single post on the forum, along with no dedicated server box.

I'm not trying to shoot this down at all, but some extra information in regards to your plans and who you are would be beneficial overall. If you do legitimately have the means to do this though, then I'd be all for it, and so would Six Star.
  4. Rogueblades

Rogueblades Active Member

I am glad to see this thread and the initial guidelines you have produced. I wish you the best of luck and I happily support your endeavor.
  5. Tehpalekid

Tehpalekid New Member

@Grimbar

In regard to what you've said we really appreciate your offer to help as a League Admin, your ideas and feedback will be highly valued as we aren't experienced league organisers. It is great to know you and your team would be willing to participate as what we need right now is interest from teams like yourself.

On the subject of map choices we would like the ability to control the map as this is another element of team play that makes competitive play in MNC fun, and we hope UberEnt are considering making the game much more flexible competitively; especially in regard to spectator mode which would allow for games to be casted.
  6. MikeyTWolf

MikeyTWolf New Member

On behalf of nRG and being the sod who's shelling out cash for our first server (with 15 slot mumble server included), I'd like to chuck nRG as a team and our servers into the pot in order to get the ball rolling. I'm looking into purchasing another server for a community run by Col. Jessep if that gets off the ground which may or may not be used depending on the general consensus. But at least now you can have something to start with.

The current server is running in London, with 500FPS and is fully customisable through either TCAdmin or an FTP client. Although it's rented and not a full blown dedi box, the provider, XFactorServers (new management, so don't knock it till you tried it) has a general policy that is "Do whatever you want. If you **** it up, it's your fault, but we'll fix it for you if you ask nicely".

The 15 slot mumble server is also running on the same box, and the neat thing is unlike Ventrilo and TeamSpeak you can change and add channels and permissions on the fly.
  7. Tehpalekid

Tehpalekid New Member

Unfortunately we are not a company, only a group of friends who want to see more from the Monday Night Combat competitive scene. Despite not being a large organisation we still take this incredibly seriously, and are currently developing a website for the league; consisting of a league table; fixtures; team pages and match pages - with forums dedicated to the league and MNC as a game. We hope to expand this depending on the success of the league.

Addressing your consideration of being a promoter, or moreover your hesitation, I am open to speak to at any time I am online:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jakthebreadstick/

Thanks.
  8. Oscar

Oscar New Member

He forgot to say that if the league will happen,don't start without us :)
  9. MikeyTWolf

MikeyTWolf New Member

There's the bit you're looking for. :p
  10. Milky

Milky New Member

just wondering what you'll do about teams from different countries will there be regional leagues or just one big international one? either way #queens will be there representing Australia.
  11. Tehpalekid

Tehpalekid New Member

The league is going to be one big international one, running a regional league would require two-four different league tables and different teams to fill them. We're wary of the latency issues and the time zone differences that will occur however we can only do so much to stop that. We'll try our best.
  12. Oscar

Oscar New Member

That's kinda one of the biggest problems.
  13. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Latency is in fact - due to the nature of the engine - only a problem if the difference exceeds 350ms.

anyone who ever played on a Texas Server from central EU should know what I'm talking about.
  14. FMF

FMF New Member

Disagree,150+ ms is already too much for competitive play.
  15. grimbar

grimbar New Member

That holds true for other engines, not this one.
  16. FMF

FMF New Member

I notice the difference between 40 and 150 ms in MNC.
  17. grimbar

grimbar New Member

So do I but it's not a problem and doesn't belong in this thread.
  18. Wobbley

Wobbley New Member

I am hoping this turns out to be successful. I will help in any way that I can. :p
  19. Marmalade

Marmalade New Member

To be honest, I doubt that putting a League Admin into each match is a good idea, not to mention that most teams have 6 core players and 5v5 would mean that one of them will be unable to participate, which is obviously not the way to go. Screenshots can be taken via Steam Beta, Fraps or even with printscreen + paste in paint, so I don't really see a problem there.
  20. MegaMark

MegaMark New Member

To all the aussies that come onto this site, check out the link below, cybergamer.com.au have a large gaming community and i have had previous experience with them competing in competitive ladders and they have been great.

Go sign up and go to the link below and show your support for a league with them. Some of there comps have cash prizes and a lot of there games are shoutcasted online.

http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/thr ... ht-Combat/

Everyone who is keen to play should sign up and post.