PAX Dev slides

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by varrak, September 2, 2014.

1. varrak

varrak Official PA

Hey, so very quick one for all you technology junkies out there...

I did a talk at PAX dev (the PAX developer's conference that happens the 2 days before PAX prime in Seattle). It was some general advice on optimizing PA's rendering engine (which is OpenGL based), targeted at developers with Direct3D backgrounds (which is where I came from before Uber).

I posted the slides here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjfgktemcomfriw/Optimizing OpenGL.pptx?dl=0) for anyone who is interested. I've put the talking points in the speaker notes on each slide, so they (may) make a little more sense.
    LavaSnake, Schulti, tatsujb and 26 others like this.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Awesome. I'm reading it. Nice Slides.
  3. feyder

feyder Member

Thanks for sharing these, love code and tech :D
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Just wonder before on forum you talking that you want to adopt extensions which isn't yet included within GL core. Did you mean direct_state_access back then? Also when it's not included into OpenGL 4.5 do you see possibility to use it in PA? Thoughts?

Or did you mean some other extensions too? Which one?
  5. varrak

varrak Official PA

I mention some in the slides. One's the multi-draw indirect stuff (with array textures), which will be a performance win. One's moving some of the CPU load onto compute shaders. A lot of it is still to-be-determined, to be honest.
    cdrkf and SXX like this.
  6. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

Very cool stuff @varrak. Thanks for sharing mate.

I was hoping I might read something in there about the future implementation of SLi? Is it still on the table as a future improvement down the track?

Cheers,

-Todd
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. varrak

varrak Official PA

SLi is handled in the driver. Support should be automatic. PA is mostly limited by cpu right now anyway, so there's little benefit to get from sli until I move more compute work to the gpu.
    tatsujb, cdrkf, Remy561 and 1 other person like this.
  8. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

Thanks for the response @varrak,

Good to know!

Cheers,

-Todd
  9. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

This slideshow made me mentally aroused.
    I always love seeing backbone stuff for games, its so interesting.

I have an old dual Intel LGA2011 system(It still runs like a beast. :) ), yknow, dual Xeons? Its fun stuff. Will that system run PA at all, since its using two physical processor sets? And more importantly, since a lot of PA is processor based, will it run better?
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

No reason why it's wouldn't work. Actually I suppose I know one of two guys who tested it, but under Windows.

Not likely. I have no idea what actual overhead is, but I pretty sure that communication between processors have high delay and RAM is also issue so using two sockets for single game client wouldn't work well.

Though this is interesting question related to server-side.
  11. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

The game isn't optimized to use that many cores, so the performance wouldn't be much different
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The game barely utilizes a duel core multi-threaded CPU atm. :p
  13. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Is it bad that I'm making a openGl engine for myself and I didn't understand 1/4 of it?

He he he. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.
  14. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

I really liked this
    even though I didnt understand half of this tech talk, I got the point that developing in openGL is really tough, and doing such things with openGL is quiet imprissive

on the other hand, did I get right that the game has a greater performance with vendor "N"?
    I guess my next computer will be nvidia xD
  15. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Not necessarily. What he said, was that vendor "N"'s driver was more tolerant towards broken shader syntax and other "you should not have done that"-stuff, plus support was more competent/responsive.

Not a single word about raw performance though. Plus, Nvidia apparently also had some nasty bugs.
  16. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thanks !!!!!! jumping on it !
  17. japporo

japporo Active Member

I've said this in another post but former Valve developer Rich Geldreich's "The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality" is worth a read and matches up with what I've heard elsewhere from credible sources. The comments are also enlightening.

The thing that's a bit worrying about all these vendor shenanigans is whether games of today will continue to work into the far future. I can think of a fair number of 7-10 year old titles that have graphics problems or simply crash on up-to-date PCs.
    Last edited: September 3, 2014
    shootall and varrak like this.
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I'd still go nVidia though because their dev support is so much stronger, which means that games like this, and many others, tend to have far less issues on nVidia hardware. AMD often give better bang for buck, but you're going to have to put up with more games having more quirks.
  19. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Dunno, as a dev, I would probably go for AMD since they have superior cross platform debugging tools and a less error tolerant implementation, and a second alibi card from Nvidia to get access to their support, because that is virtually non-existent with AMD. Going purely Nvidia will probably result in unclean / unportable code since the driver is tolerating far too much.

As a user, it doesn't matter much. Yes, few applications will be "broken" on AMD cards (mostly since the devs did only develop on Nvidia cards, screwed up, and the Nvidia driver was so "generous" to ignore/fix the error silently), but in the end, all well tested applications run equally well on both platforms.
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Sorry, I meant as an end user. As a dev you're going to go all three because doing otherwise is madness.

But not all applications are well tested, and even if they are discovering a bug is no guarantee of resolution prior to shipping.