Game slows to crawl when there are hundreds of units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by docomatic, September 2, 2014.

1. docomatic

docomatic New Member

I have an Intel i7 X980 3.3GHz CPU (6 cores) with 12GB ram and a GeForce GTX 780 graphics card, and when I am playing a long game with many hundreds (thousands?) of units on multiple planets, the game can literally almost stop. Is this at the server end? I can't believe it is at my end. And yes, I did set the graphics to maximum.

Do I really need to reduce graphics settings, or is this a problem at the server end, even when I am playing single player games?

Anyone else seeing this?
  2. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Many users were reporting the same thing. This is a server-side issue that only the developers can fix.
    BulletMagnet and FSN1977 like this.
  3. jeez

jeez Member

Bandwith is also a big factor. I recently tested on a slower connection, and experienced just what you mention. At the start of the game all is fine. The interactions with the game, such as moving the camera, remain smooth as silk, but the sim gets really choppy.
    Units seem to be stuck in place, but every second (or even less frequent) they "warp" to their expected location.
    Currently, I don't think there's a way around this.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General