Tired eyes from playing this game

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pilotrose, September 1, 2014.

1. pilotrose

pilotrose Member

Maybe I'm spending too many hours playing this game but I must admit my eyes get tired like they've been working too hard to focus for a long period of time. I don't remember this happening much with other games. It could be my relatively new computer which is a 1920x1080 resolution on a 14" display. Regardless, I was curious if any of you out there are experiencing the same thing that I am from this game.

Cheers
  2. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Dont think ive ever had, unless ive played to much of any game.
  3. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

You're definitely playing too much. But that is not a problem, because this is Planetary Annihilation, the most awesome game ever.

Just take a rest, sleep, eat and stuff. Then, as you wake up, play more.
  4. atari911

atari911 New Member

I too am running the game on a 1080 @ 15" so it's a rather small screen at a pretty high res. I've noticed that the resource bar on the top looks rather small, but I never really need to look at it too hard.

The main thing that I've noticed is the size of the unit icons. On my screen they are pretty small. Considering they are bright and have a lot of contrast I would say that they are the hardest thing. I was hoping there was a way to make them larger so I'm looking for a mod or something that will increase their size on small/hi-res screens.

Overall I haven't had much of a problem with my eyes getting tired with this game but then again I have rather good eyes (especially with my glasses on).
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

People playing on laptops usually have more eye strain because the screens are smaller.

Also, for me, a low FPS can make me dizzy. I bought a 144Hz monitor, it looks so much more smooth and natural if your pc can push out 100-144 FPS
  6. pilotrose

pilotrose Member

Interesting. I thought I'd hear more people were experiencing tired eyes.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

dude.

one word.

brightness.

turn that **** down.

I have it at 0 permanently on my benq (which treats contrast as some kind of first class citizen, turning contrast up there does brightness' job without ruining my eyes)

on my other more crappy 1080p samsung I have brightness at 0 as soon as the day is dark and i turn it up somewhat when it's sunny out.

ALSO lights. when at night : leave the lights on in your room

the hight contrast of pitch darkness + bright screen is a death sentence to your eyes.

this has been a message from the worldwide bureau of health.

that is all.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Go get your eyes checked.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  9. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Try blinking more. Focusing your eyes on something far away every so often is the typical thing recommended for ergonomics.
  10. verybad

verybad Active Member

All you need is a little bit of minor surgery to get you closer to this game.
    [​IMG]
    pilotrose and cptconundrum like this.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Take a break. Go outside for a few minutes, walk the dog, call your mom just to chat*. Games are a lot of fun and as a heavy gamer with bad eyes myself I can totally sympathize, but it is still just a game. Most things are great in moderation. Beer and PA are great in excess, but you still have to take care of your body.

* Note: I do not actually recommend calling mothers. That can be worse than going blind!

Best of luck,
    Doctor Captain Conundrum (I have two titles)
    bengeocth, Bsport, pilotrose and 2 others like this.
  12. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Until cybernetics and bioengineering is perfected.

- Sir Doctor Professor Master Chief Science Officer Geers.
    squishypon3 and cptconundrum like this.
  13. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Of all PA players I likely have the worst vision of them all and can totally understand this.

I would recommend messing around with the planetary lighting settings to reduce strain. I find planets, especially ice planets to be very bright and stressful during the day.

Even if the brightly lit planets look pretty to you, it is pumping a lot of energy into your eyes. You can find a lot of control in the json files, you should be able to find ways of reducing strain there.

I talk a bit more about his in the mod forum: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/planet-lighting.63312/
    pilotrose and cptconundrum like this.
  14. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I play this game more then could possibly be healthy for an ordinary human and i can tell you my eyes are fine. Sometimes i play like 12 hours or something. I do take breaks oftenly, but even in very long matches of multiple hours my eyes are fine. I think i recommend a new bigger monitor, your monitor is squeezing more pixels on your screen then is good for you i think.
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If a game does drag on excessively, like hour and a half GW matches, then I can see it straining...
  16. pilotrose

pilotrose Member

Haha nice message. I tried playing with decreased brightness and so far so good! My eyes are far less tired. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with starting my PA session in the morning. I played for a good 4 hours straight and hardly noticed a thing.

Hopefully this will be the fix, as previously I often had the brightness nearly at the maximum. Thanks!
  17. pilotrose

pilotrose Member

I think the large amount of pixels on the smaller screen is part of the issue. I've made everything bigger with Windows 8's display scaling feature and have decreased the brightness. We'll see how it goes. A larger monitor would definitely be nice.

Cheers
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Dude you are mental. people go temporarily blind and loose many points in eyesight.

You gotta get your eyes checked, and I'm serious here... you may need glasses from now on.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I keep brightness all the way up! Don't worry though, it's an oldish ugly monitor where highest brightness really isn't bright...
  20. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

The HDR matters a lot for brightness aswell i think.