Weird lag and server performance in stable build

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, August 31, 2014.

1. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

I've been getting big slowdowns and freezes too. One guy put his dox on an area patrol and the game died! You can't blame him for doing something the game lets him do and I'm sure many new players will encounter the same problem on the 5th unless something is done.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  2. liaotzu

liaotzu New Member

I'm afraid i had similar problems it lagged for me even in a small 1vs1 game 200units max. It lags a lot harder in big ffa/team games. Before the new build it almoust never lagged on 1vs1. I had also a bug with commander trying going trought the teleporter - he couldn't go trought and he started walking in the direction of the end teleport and i could not control him anymore, he didnt respond to any move or build command. There is also a recuring bug with the win screen when i try to wath a replay it constatly pops up. Running on win7 i5760 gf680 12gb ram on a ssd drive.
  3. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Same here. Lag lag lag everywhere the eye can see for the last 48 hours.
  4. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Add me to the lag boat. I had this problem since downloading the stable 71459 build.
  5. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

I wish uber would get back to us on this. Even before this update the servers slowed right down in large battles :(
    aevs likes this.
  6. jendrykgaming

jendrykgaming Member

I'm very concerned at this point. Lag was always a problem, especially considering the way the game and sim would behave at peak times (usually after a news article on a gaming site), but now we're four days from release and stability has become monumentally worse. Reviews will be coming in very soon, and if they don't iron out what's been happening since the latest build they're going to get absolutely hammered.

Now not only do they have to figure out and fix the sim and server issues, but try and keep to the promise that offline single player and LAN play would be included by release. There's no way. It's a shame because when the game performs it's like nothing else in terms of scope for an RTS, but I see no way for it to live up to that post-release if things remain the way they are.

As it is, the game is virtually unplayable.
    Last edited: September 1, 2014
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It's the servers unfortunately.

When you get 4 or 5 games on one server running at once, it taxes them all evenly, so even the ones that ave just begun can suffer as much as a 10,000 unit game.
  8. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

What's the solution? Wait for people to be able to host their own?
  9. igncom1

Pretty much, well... that or wait for the time of the day that most people aren't online.
  10. draiwn

draiwn New Member

Or play on PTE with amazon server because lag is horrible on stable server, probably too many players for uber servers. Hope they will deliver offline mode soon
    igncom1 likes this.
  11. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

It is starting to remind me of similar situations, SimCity and Diablo 3 come to mind... Got to love always online!
    kjotak109 likes this.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

PA is by definition not always online as the server (and offline mode) will be released. Most likely a couple days to a couple weeks after initial release.

The reason this is taking a bit is because just think about it, they're going from a game designed to be played through by connecting to a server to having it all in one. It take a bit of bug crushing and many other developments to make it a smooth experience for the user.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  13. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

I have to wait until everyone else gives up on the game before I can enjoy myself? :eek: Uber please upgrade your server capacity!
    kjotak109 likes this.
  14. igncom1

Or get more servers, or give offline play, or give fan servers out.
    nlaush and kjotak109 like this.
  15. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Try playing the game without logging in right now. You can't. By any definition that is exactly what "always online" is! And it seems to be having the exact same problems that Diablo 3 and SimCity had at launch due to player load overwhelming the servers. This lag is one thing they would not be having to deal with if they just released the freaking server.

Of course if it is not the server causing this lag, then the game is obviously not ready for prime time yet.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  16. squishypon3

Always online implies the game will ALWAYS be online, however it wont, really its just semantics. (The system editor is offline as well. ;) )
  17. jendrykgaming

jendrykgaming Member

Pardon for sounding harsh, but that's absolutely unacceptable. There's no way this couldn't have been foreseen based on the performance we've seen consistently when server load was high, and should have been prepared for with an always-online game, given the failures of previous always-online titles' disastrous launches. This game has been in development for ages and had extensive testing and feedback from the community for ages and poor performance due to network issues has been a recurring theme since day 1.

Additionally, there were numerous assurances of offline/player servers by release. Release, as in 1.0, as in, 4 days soon. Not days or weeks after release, but at release. And PA is most definitely always online until offline and servers are released. The longer the delay is with this, the worse critical and popular response will be from both backers and new players.
    tatsujb and kjotak109 like this.
  18. squishypon3

I don't believe I ever heard a dev say that offline mode would be in 1.0, and only that it'd be in the game at some point.
  19. jendrykgaming

jendrykgaming Member

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/0/864979008477257582/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/0/666826250748092933/
  20. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

The Lag is very very bad. Maybe the worst I have seen in quite some time. From the start of the game.
    kjotak109 and sookrispy like this.