PA is really, really bad on Linux right now

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by liamdawe, August 22, 2014.

1. yrrep

yrrep Member

For me the game is unplayable right now. Out of the box it starts to a black screen with
    Code:
    libGL error: MESA-LOADER: could not create udev device for fd 10
    14205 17:36:22.162925 W | PID: 14214 | 14214 17:36:22.159872 [14214:14214:ERROR:(0)] ContextGroup::Initialize failed because too few texture units.
    14205 17:36:22.162941 W | PID: 14214 | 14214 17:36:22.159887 [14214:14214:ERROR:(0)] GpuScheduler::InitializeCommon failed because group failed to initialize.
    14205 17:36:22.179528 W | PID: 14214 | 14231 17:36:22.168924 [14240:14255:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(166)] Failed to initialize command buffer service.
    Symlinking /usr/lib/libudev.so.1 to a local libudev.so.0 get the game to start but breaks the cursor. My UI mod luckily fixes that at least.

I then can join a game server, generate a system and work with the lobby. Actually starting the game results in a segmentation fault in my graphics drivers:
    Code:
    #0 in ?? () from /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/i965_dri.so
    #1 in crom::ras::GLRenderTarget::createBuffer
    #2 in crom::ras::GLRenderTarget::bindTarget
    #3 in crom::ras::GLRasterizer::setRenderTarget
    #4 in crom::RasRenLightingEngine::getDefaultShadowMap
    #5 in crom::RasRenShadowMap::resetShadowParams
    #6 in crom::RasRenLightingEnvironment::applyLight
    #7 in crom::RasRenLightingEnvironment::drawLight
    #8 in crom::RasRenLightingEnvironment::applyLighting
    #9 in crom::RasRenLightingEngine::endSolid
    #10 in crom::RasRenSceneViewport::renderLit
    #11 in crom::RasRen::renderLit
    #12 in client::ClientGame::updateAndPresent
    #13 in crom::SDLPlatform::runGame
    #14 in main
    I'll look into that some more when I find the time. At least it seems noone else is suffering from that, so the problem might be just on my end.
  2. atari911

atari911 New Member

Looks like I have build 70289 running. I'm running the game throug Steam and have it handle the updates. How do I get to the newest build?

Although, on a side note... I was able to get through an entire 1v1 AI game this morning!
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually new version was already released as stable so you can play it already. If for some reason Steam client didn't downloaded it yet you can force it by restarting Steam.
  4. atari911

atari911 New Member

Checking on my steam client the game's news section shows 70289 as the newest build. Restarting steam did nothing different. I'm judging this by the news section as I don't think there is a way to actually see the specific version that's running through the steam interface.

Note that I am not running the 'pte' beta or anything.

EDIT: I was being stupid and didnt look at the version number in the game. It does appear that I am running the latest and greatest. I'm going to keep playing and see if there are any changes.
    Last edited: August 31, 2014
    SXX likes this.
  5. MstrGecko

MstrGecko New Member

Fair Warning, this is a bit of a rant.

First off, I'd like to say I loved it when I first heard PA was going to have Linux support. I have enjoyed the few PA matches I've been able to play all the way through on Linux. I've been playing since Gamma, just as combat fabbers were added, and made them OP for that patch. These matches have shown me that for the most part PA has lived up the the hype of being an awesome native-Linux game. But I have one major problem. THIS GAME BREAKING BUG. I accept that it appears to be a bug that "only" shuts down the UI, and "gracefully" at that for the most part. But a game without a reliable UI is an unplayable one. I commend that you guys have worked hard to make sure that the areas where drivers made it unplayable were worked on and resolved. Any bugs that were raised in the source you have control over have been resolved for Linux play, as far as I know.

Coherent was chosen as the UI for PA. PA has been stated to support Linux. AND IT SHIPS THIS FRIDAY, CURRENTLY BROKEN. In my opinion, guys need need to:

Remove Coherent and use something without major game breaking bugs that make in unplayable for most players on a "supported" platform.(unlikely, and as long as it doesn't crash, I like what you've been able to make it do)​

Remove the statement that PA support/runs on Linux. (Also something that would sadden me, because this has been a shining star in the world of Linux-native gaming, for at least myself and probably many others)​

Find a niche of Linux distro(s)/configurations you can correctly say that it runs on WITHOUT ANY GAMEBREAKERS, and say you support it on Linux in only those setups.(as long as it work, with no major issues, I could be ok with this, but not entirely happy.)

My last option is by far my favorite, and has been tried and proven over many years of Linux programming. If Coherent is shutting down because of bad interactions with the Linux system, build it a box you can run it in that it WILL be happy with, and interface with the system yourself in a way that IT is happy with. Basically fix your middle ware that's out of your source control, with middleware of your own. It's been done with ndiswrapper for wifi drivers, and wine for windows programs, and I find it hard to believe that the same solution could not be used here.
    Whichever way you choose to solve the problem, I avidly look forward to playing PA on Linux, fully functionally in the near future. hopefully on launch day.

DON"T RELEASE BROKEN SOFTWARE.

</rant>
  6. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Seems like I also get the selection breaking bug on every game I play.

So PA is still unplayable right now on Linux.
  7. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

9. sechastain

sechastain Member

Yeah, I figured that was the case. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also desperately hoping I was wrong :)
  10. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

11. xkjq

xkjq New Member

So, just put together a new computer (AMD FX8350 and R9 270X) and am having some issues with PA on linux.

It launches fine (usual issues solved with the mouse fix and --software-ui). Games also load (no strategic icons) but whenever I select a location to land I get a black screen and system freeze.

Is this a known bug?

(I can only find the Coherent_UI log which contains nothing useful)

Processor Information:
    Vendor: AuthenticAMD
    CPU Family: 0x15
    CPU Model: 0x2
    CPU Stepping: 0x0
    CPU Type: 0x0
    Speed: 4000 Mhz
    8 logical processors
    8 physical processors
    HyperThreading: Unsupported
    FCMOV: Supported
    SSE2: Supported
    SSE3: Supported
    SSSE3: Supported
    SSE4a: Supported
    SSE41: Supported
    SSE42: Supported

Operating System Version:
    Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (64 bit)
    Kernel Name: Linux
    Kernel Version: 3.13.0-32-generic
    X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
    X Server Release: 11501000
    X Window Manager: KWin
    Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime-release_2014-08-20

Video Card:
    Driver: X.Org Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN
    Driver Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
    OpenGL Version: 3.0
    Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    VendorID: 0x1002
    DeviceID: 0x6810
    Number of Monitors: 1
    Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
    Primary Display Resolution: 1280 x 1024
    Desktop Resolution: 1280 x 1024
    Primary Display Size: 14.80" x 11.85" (18.94" diag)
    37.6cm x 30.1cm (48.1cm diag)
    Primary VRAM Not Detected​
  12. gerii

gerii Member

The problem is that you're using an old version of open source drivers. You can either update to newer open source drivers or use the proprietary driver from AMD (should give better performance).
    You can update the opensource drivers by adding this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/ archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers
    Please note that those drivers are bleeding-edge which may lead to problems as they're largely untested.
    Or if you want AMDs proprietary driver follow these steps: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/galactic-war-build-70289.62774/page-6#post-986905
  13. xkjq

xkjq New Member

Thats weird, I've installed fglrx-14.20 - maybe it's not being loaded correctly, does anyone know of any way to test?

Edit:

Seems like I didn't have "xserver-xorg-dev" installed - funny that the installer didn't complain about it. Lets see if it works now...
  14. gerii

gerii Member

Try glxgears -info
  15. xkjq

xkjq New Member

Nope, can't run aticonfig either. Looks like I may be missing some dependencies so the drivers aren't being built/installed correctly.

Edit:

So for some reason the I can't build the debs. Direct installation seems to have worked (just need to wait for the new PTE to finish downloading before I can test in properly).
    Last edited: September 4, 2014
  16. atari911

atari911 New Member

I seem to be able to run the game fine about 3/4 of the time. When it breaks it breaks with the input error and I either have to wait for it to start working or exit out with a 'quit game'. Funny thing is that the esc key works and gives me the menu to exit.

The other issue I see is that I am never able to exit out of a game and get back to the lobby. All i get is a black screen and i have to kill it and start over.

I wouldn't say that its "really really bad" but i am slightly disappointing that we are on release and these issues seem to apply to 99% of linux users.
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Black screen issue caused by "--software-ui" and workaround is resizing game window (e.g toggle full screen using Alt+Enter twice).

Also "--software-ui" no longer required with last version because UI crashes was hotfixed.
  18. tg230

tg230 New Member

This is the only error I seem to be experiencing right now. I will try the workaround next time I encounter it.

Thank you Uber for all your hard work on the Linux version. I'm sorry for ever doubting that you would come through.
    gerii likes this.
  19. atari911

atari911 New Member

The black screen is not really a major thing as it doesnt affect gameplay.
    The thing that kills me is the damn issue of loosing input. Multiplayer games suck when you suddenly can control anything.

Del yourself and spectate.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's already hotfixed. Not perfect fix, but it's already made game playable.