Weird lag and server performance in stable build

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, August 31, 2014.

1. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

sim is the problem not the servers.
  2. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

it is kind of a slap in the face when they can fix stuff like that out of office so fast but we sit and wait weeks for problems to be addressed.
  3. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

I don't think you understand how this works...

They did fix a crash while in field. That's usually quite simple once you have found the origin of the issue, even if you just apply a temporary work around.

In the screens shown in this thread, it's a performance issue. Far more difficult to solve, even when you know precisely where it originates.

If you have a look at where the sim time went:
    Navigation and physics. Someone in the game did this on purpose. Someone did mass area patrol on a small island or so, which inevitably results in massive lag. High navigation time means either that units got stuck, or that many (land) units were patrolling. High physic time means that units were massively colliding.
    Both at the same time, means that units got stuck BECAUSE they were patrolling and colliding.

With 1.3 seconds EACH, that must have been at least a thousand units, forced into an impossible location ON PURPOSE.
    BulletMagnet, lokiCML and squishypon3 like this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

SIM is a part of the server from my understanding. :p
  5. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I don't think you're correct. I've had very similar things happen less than ten minutes into a game. Perhaps it's coming from somebody in a different game on the same server, but it can happen whatever stage of the game you're at.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  6. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Same for me. Set up a test game (yes modded) all was fine at first. After a few minutes the sim speed suddenly tanked to 2 and continued to degrade. 30 seconds later it was running with a sim speed of 0.3. I chose to give up at that point.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  7. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

That would be plausible too. Heavy load from other games could amplify the existing problems. But it still requires a certain base load in the currently running sim, it doesn't just happen out of thin air.
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

All i know is that this is not ready for release, i hope they can fix this.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  9. tollman

tollman Member

This happened to me today in both the games I tried. Even early on in the the game it would freeze for lengthy periods and neither game could be finished in the end. Something has gone wrong somewhere.
  10. killerkiwijuice

Yes this happens early game and late game, even when there are only a hundred units at most.
  11. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Has something massivly changed in comparision to the PTE-Build?
    Or is this just the same behaviour but with not so dead servers?

Edit: Just seen they´ve got the same version number---and its identical! o_O
    So I guess it´s the same problem like in PTE?
    Last edited: August 31, 2014
  12. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

I had high hopes for sim performance optimization, since these problems have been a known issue for a long time and lag issues are a big NO-NO when it comes to a release product. I thought they would've been properly addressed.

If this game devolves into a 1 fps slideshow at 10 minutes of gameplay (it doesn't matter what the players are doing, if your design allow them to do it then u are responsible for it:(), this game will be shredded in the reviews, I really hope the devs find a fix for this before release, cause i want PA to succeed:).
    xmatrix2x and bradaz85 like this.
  13. killerkiwijuice

Actually PTE performance was incredible. They did something that made this happen.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It could be the fact that barely anyone plays PTE which means a lot less load per server. (Eight games are normally hosted per server computer)
  15. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

yes, this worked wonderfully in the PTE something they changed since pushing out the PTE has made this feature into a flaw.
  16. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Is the number of used cores even dynamic? My PTE games against the AI had slightly worse server-performance than the older (pre-relase-PTE) stable builds. 1k units and almost no AI left did cause unusual slowdown.
  17. jendrykgaming

jendrykgaming Member

Five days til release guys!
  18. Jason335i

Jason335i New Member

Not really. Moving a squad through a teleporter causes massive slowdowns. I also noticed it when moving a bunch of Avengers from one planet to another.

The sim is absolutely broken, and as a result the game is unplayable. It's not ready for release.
  19. pilotrose

pilotrose Member

I agree. Fix this before releasing it. It's imperative.
    bradaz85, warrenkc and kjotak109 like this.
  20. Zaniaac

Zaniaac Member

I'm going to have to agree with everybody here on this issue. I have played multiple games today and last night and most if not all had severe problems with latency. (Performance wise, its great.) Some games had over a hundred units with three to four planets while others I had just two planets and it would do massive slowdown. Even had one that completely stopped right as a friend and I were about to fire the Metal Planet's Laser weapon. (My soul was crushed pretty hard on this)
    These server side issues need to be ironed out before releasing this game, or it will fail before it even gets a chance to take off. I love PA, I love the concept, and most importantly, I still have faith in Uber in hope that they will resolve these issues. However, Server side issues have always been a problem since the first day I got into the Alpha/Beta of this game and here we are with it about to go launch and these problems are STILL not ironed out. Although its better then it was in older builds its just not quite there. No reason to have any problems dealing with this.
    Last edited: September 1, 2014
    bradaz85, warrenkc and kjotak109 like this.