PTE Stream: 71459

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, August 31, 2014.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Is live, and servers should be up shortly.

This has one server crash related to pathing, but is mostly about crushing that pesky client crash once and for all. We're fairly confident about the one in question

No, there are still other crashes out there, and we'll continue to fix them, but this one was accounting for 10x more crashes than any one other crash. It was srs bsns.

This build will likely go live in the morning, barring any unforseen events. We really want a larger audience testing this build. I will set it live on Steam as well for PTE, but the number of people who play on PTE is simply too small.

That will allow us to really focus our efforts on the remaining troublesome behaviors people are seeing in the immediate term.
  2. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

PTE is a ghost town!
  3. Planktum

Are the stable build servers more powerful than the PTE servers?
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

No. They're Amazon Instances, but in some ways, they're actually more beefy than our normal rack mounted servers. And PTE only uses the Amazon Instances. We don't allocated a full server for PTE, we just rely on scalable machines like AWS.

But PTE is always a ghost town. A lot of people don't know about it.
  5. Planktum

http://aws.amazon.com/autoscaling/?nc1=h_l2_c
    Do you take advantage of the auto-scaling? Is there going to be a lot more allocated to the server performance come release? I'd love to know more about your server technology. If you had a 40 player game, can you allocated multiple servers to run the one game, i.e. allocate more servers will give even better performance? Or is there a limit?
    Last edited: August 31, 2014
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If they were considering keeping the game online-only, it would be a real sugar coating to buff the servers, run half as many per machine for instance to double their power. See a lot less slowdown late game or multiplayer, possibly allow a 20 player cap if more server power.

If they are in fact considering releasing even an offline only local server for players to play singleplayer on, then there is much less reason for stronger servers, but offline only local servers for singleplayer games would relieve a lot of stress on the servers so they could optionally buff them if they want anyway without increasing the server numbers.
  7. draiwn

draiwn New Member

Just tested the new build on galatic war, got a fatal client crash after 20min :(
    Too bad there is no way to reconnect to the game, is it specific to PTE? Because it's very painfull to lost a game I was about to win
    Note: fiew minute before crash I tried to build huge field of mines to see AI behaviour with it.

Another issue when I tried to get my own replay I got this message : "Failed to retrieve replay list"

Attached my DxDiag

Attached Files:

8. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

What kind of crash ?
    PA.exe has stopped working ? Or return to desktop without any info ?
    Try to provide the log located here also:
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log

About the no-reconnect, as far as I know, it's always like that for GW, painful I know, especially when it's end-game
  9. yakcyll

yakcyll Member

If there's any way to put up a dev message in the main menu of a client (both stable and PTE), you could try and organize testing sessions. Slows down the iteration, sure, but you might get a stable stream of games that way.
  10. Planktum

Just played a single player skirmish against three AI with 5 planets (1x gas giant, 2x lava, 1x moon, 1x ice) and I must say I was impressed with the game performance. No server lag at all, and client frame rate was minimum 20 fps with probably about 1000 units on screen. They've also improved the PIP performance. only takes off about 3 to 10 frames.
  11. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

When editing a previously made system in the system editor it sets every planet to "starting planet", do not want.
  12. draiwn

draiwn New Member

UI freezed and "PA.exe has stopped working"
    Attached the log, but nothing special inside

Attached Files:

13. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I realize this is probably an older bug, but I didn't give it much thought before:

International keyboard layouts don't seem to be working properly. I'm using a german layout and I can only access special characters when I'm guessing where they'd be on an american keyboard.
  14. draiwn

draiwn New Member

Try a skirmish with 3 AI (hard, relentless, absurd) here my thought:

- The 3 AI still totally ignore Gas Giant
    - AI totally ignore Catalyst although one of the them own the full death planet, would be awesome to be destroyed by AI with this f***ing huge epic laser :)
    - AI is not very smart with his commander, prefer send him instead of his big army against 15 vanguards, AI commander died in 5 seconds.
    - AI send two commander to another planet I own, without sending radar before, commander astraeus has been destroyed in a about 1 second.. end of the game without combating them
    - Light is sometime too bright when planet facing the sun (but its a long time like this)

Good thing anti-nuke is fixed and perfomances are very fine!
  15. Engineer1234

Radar built when at 0 power never works like other people said, but now I have radar that keeps working while I'm at 0 power after it was built, wut ? the basic land radar btw.
    Quitch likes this.
  16. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah this is a pretty huge gameplay bug. Surely needs to be fixed soon. There is a bug tracker on it but maybe better to spam it here a bit. :D
    Quitch and drz1 like this.
  17. Engineer1234

Absurd AI with 1.1 resource bonus completely ignored the other planets, lobbyID 627171715444065460
    Game lasted 49 minutes, AI built an impressive base and was attacking with fun ground unit blobs.
    He built 2 orbital factories and an orbiting factory, built plenty of orbital units with them including at least one astreus, but he just did not move any of them to another planet, not even a single avenger.
    The other planets were 2 moons, 1 metal, 1 gas, I can understand him not having learned about gas yet, but this is different.

Also 100% of the time I beat the AI it's because he walked his commander into 20 vanguards instead of hiding behind the turrets he built.
    We really need a different victory condition than assassination OR the AI needs to be sensible about where he puts his com.
    Right now the AI just suicides and it doesn't make for an enjoyable win.
    gerii and tollman like this.
  18. n00n

n00n Active Member

Well then, you must of course be talking about the BadAccess error/CoherentUI crash that's been plaguing all Linux users? Except that's not likely as the issue still persists. If you could be less cryptic about the fixes/changes that'd be helpful.

2014-08-31_145527_494771302.png
    With the new starting point, viewing the solar system. Upon zooming in on a planet (I use Control+pan keys) the screen goes blank. I have to use (F5 to return and then) the planet selector in the top right to escape this initial view. This is on Linux using the latest (340.32) Nvidia proprietary drivers on a GTX Titan.
  19. Qaar

Qaar Member

Match vs AI normal

- AI likes to suicide, instead of building any factory to create an army to defeat me.
    - AI tryed to attack me with only fighters, while he has bombers ready to attack me.
    - AI did only build one air factory, that i destroyed. Afther that he was building one storage building, no army factory
    or what so ever.

My first thoughts are: Gameplay feels alot smoother!

And i love the new addition of the PTE builds now being available through Steam!
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The absurd AI is the computer playing to it's fullest.