PTE Stream: 71453

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, August 30, 2014.

1. nonesuchnick

nonesuchnick New Member

Pretty sure I encountered this last night in one of my first plays on the new build. I had even set the SXX to 'hold-fire' and I was surprised it started firing. Then the game crashed. Client said the crash dump was successfully uploaded, so Uber should be able to look into this.

MacBook Pro running Ubuntu 13.04
    Intel Core i7 M 620 @ 2.67Ghz
    GeForce GT 330M
    4GB RAM
    Last edited: August 30, 2014
  2. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Sorry for missing to provide those essential data :oops:
    So, I'm on Win7 (x64), using an AMD R290 & i5 4690K.
    Disabled all mods (using "Safe Mode" from PAMM, which is like --nomods).
    Attached is my DxDiag, and the last log file I grabbed.
    It seems to be very random, can happen late game (30+ minutes or early, like 3 minutes top - 5 in attached log file).
    I would say it happens like 1 out of 5 of my games. Was playing GW exclusively.

Not sure if "Upload" is related to my bandwidth or anything, but my connection should be good enough :

Attached Files:

3. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Ok, everytime I start PA it is asking me to reconnect to a game which does not exist... when the client crashes, I cannot reconnect to the actual game anymore, instead it tries to reconnect me to that phantom game that does not exist.
  4. JWest

JWest Active Member

For the record, I still get "checking manifest" for 3-5 minutes every time I launch, any fix for that?
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

steam version fixes it for me
  6. JWest

JWest Active Member

Then I have to install it a whole entire second time. That's like, so much work. Like at least 3 clicks and several valuable minutes of waiting.
  7. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Try creating a link on the Desktop or wherever is easiest to ~\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation Launcher\Planetary Annihilation\PTE\PA

You don't need the launcher then.
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Set command skews exactly as it says, it sets the freecam. You need to change the shortcut to be for the toggle freecam. I'm not sure why it isn't the default, but this will solve your issue.

It confused me at first for a good while too.
  9. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

During the show today, we did find another frequent crash AND managed to fix it on the show floor. As soon as Varrak gets home tonight, I'll kick off a new build, let it run for a few hours, and then we'll probably put that build live.

There are still other issues to fix, but overall, we're pretty happy with how this build is looking.

The crash in question could show up on any platform, btw. Windows, Mac or Linux. It was an order of operations issue in our graphics pipeline so hopefully it will explain crashes a number of people may have seen.
    Fr33Lancer, Remy561, nobrains and 2 others like this.
  10. warmax

warmax New Member

yaaaaaaaaa thanks
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That means there's no way to get out of free cam when you set free cam, because I tried the set default camera free cam and that didn't work.

The default keyboard shortcut shouldn't be fore set free camera, but for toggle free camera.
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Indeed. F5 well get you out of it, but that's highly inconvenient in game. I hope they change the default; little things like that can add up!
  13. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

I just finished a match on this PTE, and here comes my bug report:

- I still start matches staring at the sun, but now I can see the whole system.

- When I leave the main menu and come back, I either see my display name or my username. Screenshots are from the same PTE:

PA display name thumb.JPG

PA uber username thumb.JPG

- Heavy server lag, but awesome client FPS (60 FPS, to be exact). Orbital radar structures/Catalysts constantly execute animations due to server lag. Sim remains at 10 FPS.

- Random black flashing.
  14. japporo

japporo Active Member

Filed a couple of bugs, with details and lobby IDs:

4023: A nuke I launched from one moon to another became stuck in orbit while in transit.
    4024: About a 3 1/2 minute delay occurred between finishing the final catalyst and the annihilaser firing.
  15. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

i truly hope Uber sets back their release date, these bugs arent minor
  16. japporo

japporo Active Member

In build 71453, when selecting "Single Player" -> "AI skirmish" from the AI menu, the following things should happen:
    • The tag field should default to "AI Battle" instead of "Casual". This will be problematic when browsing games because single-player players are unlikely to remember to correctly set the tag before launching the game.
    • The default empty slot(s) should be pre-populated with a normal AI instead being empty.
    • Adding a new slot (or team) should automatically have the slot(s) pre-populated with normal AIs instead of being empty.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  17. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Those are all planned. And for people who know that, yes, it's obvious. However, the number of people who didn't even think skirmish even exists is huge. This provides an obvious way to get into a skirmish match, while we take time to setup a new, custom lobby that makes a proper skirmish match.

Not a bug, just not as done yet as we'd like.
    Remy561 likes this.
  18. japporo

japporo Active Member

My bad; I should have appended "This is not a bug per se" to the post. I posted instead of filing an entry in the bug tracker because it was meant more as feedback on a possible last minute polish item.
  19. jorgenpt

jorgenpt Uber Programmer Uber Alumni

The "upload limit reached" means that the crash uploader has already uploaded two crashes for you today. We cap it at 2 crashes/machine/day. I'll clarify the log message.
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  20. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation ;)
    Didn't get any return to desktop since 71459 (but didn't play as much too), I guess it was the "pesky bug" garat referred to when it was released on PTE