Performance in pre-1.0 PTE is just outstanding

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by doud, August 30, 2014.

1. syndrix

syndrix New Member

I am still getting a lot of server lag. Every game has had multiple freeze ups that it recovered from, and 2 have crashed entirely. Client side is showing 30-40fps and sim shows 1.0-0.1 fps during hang ups. However the PTE build is having less issues than previous builds.
  2. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Nice job Uber it works a lot better!
  3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

question: so one slow player will slow down everyone else?
  4. gerii

gerii Member

No, the sim is only calculated on the server.
  5. damnhippie

damnhippie Active Member

I wouldn't define that as low end at all, primarily because my rig is worse than that. :p
  6. tollman

tollman Member

This is done when the server sim slows down due to the amount of units etc. in a game. The key word there is server. It has nothing to do with the client. If your computer is running at 2fps it will not affect the server sim speed or other players.

Edit: Beaten to it by gerii :)
    kryovow likes this.
  7. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

The current sim in the PTE is bad compared to the "live" build, but the client performance is great.
  8. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I just played a 5vs5 team game on a three planet system. It actually ran from start til end. Something that my machine previously couldn't hope to achieve. So there's my anecdotal evidence - performance has, in fact, increased.
    Remy561, cdrkf, varrak and 1 other person like this.
  9. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Are you talking about the game I was just playing? You are kidding right?
  10. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I'm talking about just that game.

In previous builds, a match of that size would have pretty much frozen my client after the 10-minute mark. On the current PTE, I can actually move armies, issue commands, build stuff.

You noticed when I teleported 500+ units onto the metal planet shortly before the end, and the simulation slowed down when I moved all of them before I could issue a stop command? Previously, my game would have crashed in that situation.
  11. Planktum

Okay so now we are just happy to have a game not crash on us. When the standard is so low, it can only IMPROVE lol
  12. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

Holy **** dude, stop with your negativism already. Being critical is one thing; you're seeing bad omens in everything.

Again, as it apparently was difficult to comprehend: I am running a rather weak machine. In previous builds, playing a 10-player game would have been impossible for me. On the current PTE, a 5vs5 match worked just fine - FOR ME.

Anecdotal, personal evidence for me and my rig. Not saying it improved for everyone.
  13. Planktum

Yes my comments might seen negative. I still like the game a lot, but that doesn't mean we can't voice our thoughts on things, positive or negative. The performance in this game is pretty piss poor. Is that because the game is ahead of it's time, I don't know. Maybe it is, maybe it's just being release before it's actually ready. Who knows? Not me, but we're allowed to speculate if no proper answers to our questions are provided.

[EDIT] I work for a company where I have seen many systems put into the live production environent before they are ready. It always comes down to money. Only time will tell and we only have to wait another week to see how the community feel about v1.0. I seriously hope I'm proved wrong.
    Last edited: August 30, 2014
  14. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Its low end compared to my other systems. :p

I think you mis-understand what performance he is talking about. He's talking about the client performance on lower end machines,machines that previously weren't able to stay stable on this game over the course of a match. This game used to crash on my low end build, and now it runs smoothly. Do they still have more to achieve? Yes. But his point was is that the game has come a long way, in terms of fluidity of the game's performance.(Balance and gameplay are another thing entirely)
  15. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

ok then i simply misunderstood because he said "your sim". so i thought he meant client side.

I hope server performance gets better in Release. Last days/weeks i experienced some games where the server started to lag quite fast.
  16. tollman

tollman Member

Are you playing from within Germany? I am also in Europe and suffer some lag or hiccups on the PTE but I am hoping that that won't be the case when it gets pushed to main and we can play on EU servers.
  17. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

You can play on the EU servers on the PTE now.
    tollman likes this.
  18. varrak

varrak Official PA

This post made my day... ;)
    websterx01, Remy561, shootall and 3 others like this.
  19. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Didn't want to make a new thread, but the stable servers seem to be really struggling today. Last two games have as good as frozen within ten minutes, and Ctrl-P is showing a 999 msec update on the server. Sim is showing 0.1fps and 6.57 sec. Neither of these games had a chance to get big so I think the problem is server-side, possibly too many people trying to play?
  20. speedem0n

speedem0n New Member

Servers are straight **** today.