Avengers Assemble

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by optimi, August 29, 2014.

1. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

With Gas Giants comes a new era of orbital play, with gas giant resource raiding now a fairly important part of the game. However, to me, orbital combat seems rather boring. Click your Avenger, it moves to the other Avenger, they sway from side to side taking turns firing pew-pew lasers at each other until one goes poof. Meh.
    So how could Avenger combat be improved? The thing I thought of was increasing speed and mobility to be more in line with the Hummingbird. Rather than floating in place firing, they could fly around, turning, dodging and avoiding lasers, making for far more interesting orbital dogfights.

What are your ideas for improving Avenger combat?
    corteks, aevs, ef32 and 2 others like this.
  2. kothanlem

kothanlem New Member

Maybe more orbital fighters could be used.
    komandorcliff and lafncow like this.
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

i would like T1 and T2 variants off avengers, to give the game a little more variety in space wars
    corteks likes this.
  4. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd prefer tweaking the existing fighter to adding new units. They'd have the same problem, but with different looking units.
  5. verybad

verybad Active Member

Make Averngers orbital only, but require a Carrier to go between planets. (yeah I know multiple unit carriers are a problem for them however) Also make sattelites need to be carried between planets require a carrier.

Weaken Avengers vrs structures and add a bomber that;s good against them, but useless vrs Avengers.

Add Capital units (Battleships) that are essentially space artillery but poor at defense vrs space bombers . Add a light Capital ship (Cruiser) that's essentially AA (good at defence vrs Avengers/Space Bombers) but poor at attack or defence vrs Structures or Space Battleships.

Also make space units fly around a lot during fights for no good reason but because it looks cool.
    komandorcliff and kjotak109 like this.
  6. tohron

tohron Active Member

There is a little bit more to orbital combat now: ARKYDs and Advanced Radar Satellites both have lots of HP for their cost, so by positioning them right in front of your Avengers, you can gain a bit of an edge in an orbital fight.

In terms of adding to existing orbital combat, I might like to see a slow, short-ranged anti-orbital frigate - something that Avengers could kite, but which could rip through them if they get to close. It would insert some maneuvering into orbital combat, and also provide an answer for when people drop a bunch of orbital units right on top over your base.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

We need another type of Orbital Fighter. Just like how ground combat would be boring if we only had the Ant, orbital combat is boring because the only factor is who has more Avengers.

I really want an Advanced Fighter built from the Advanced Air Factory that can move between the layers and fly to other planets. It would spice up orbital play and it would give players assistance while invading enemy planets.
    DalekDan, corteks and wilhelmvx like this.
  8. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

avangers are more satalites and not spacejets as far a i know
  9. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

I´d like a slow-moving anchor-like unit. Lots of hp and dps but very slow. Also give anchors improved range, they are kind of meh against avengers, unless you spam them on top of each other.

EDIT: Grammar
  10. blackeagle11

blackeagle11 New Member

Orbital Dox with nuclear weaponry. Problem solved.
  11. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

Bring back the peregrine as a weak air to orbital fighter that can change layers. Built by advanced air factories and orbital factories ( the ones in space.) allow control of orbital to be regained from ground with units and aerial presence to to be established from space. peregrines would not be able to travel between planets. peregrine would have to be weaker than humming birds and avengers so that they remain kings of their layer. Yes or yes?
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

13. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Or create a t1 orbital factory for peregrines #justwentthere
  14. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

For God sakes, NO. PLEASE.
  15. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

that would be pointless. just make the t2 air factory, or the ground orbital factory make them and the t2 orbital one make them.
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

If you're going to make a statement, explain it.
  17. wstxbb

wstxbb Member

I think one thing have to change is when avengers fly to another planet should not be on single point(50 avenger looks like one, something like that). As orbital unit can fly to any point in the orbital layer by interplanetary transport, I don't think we can just add more units to fix it.