Thoughts on the 'Lazer'

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wienerdog4life, August 29, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

2. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

According to the news post on the PA website, the real name for the laser is the "Annihilaser" :p
    squishypon3 and masterevar like this.
  3. verybad

verybad Active Member

Hmm, now I think this might be an interesting place to allow planetary defense shields that can reduce or stop a death ray but wouldn't affect smaller attacks. These shields would need to be placed in multiple spots on the defending planet, and they would have an enormous permanent drain on energy.
  4. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

There should be a countdown indeed. I won a match with several planets by just conquering the metal planet and destroying all other planets in one minute or so :p
  5. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I just did a quick test, and a smashed metal planet with a huge chunk missing from it still fires. I was also sad to see that they didn't give us the custom crater for the metal planet teased a few weeks ago.

Next test: What happens when a catalyst point get's smashed. My guess is nothing really, as soon as that's done it won't be able to fire. Now time to prove it! For science! :)
  6. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

I figured out that if the metalplanet is too close to target planet it wont actually fire (Bug?).
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i say cool down and bustable by asteroids ... asteroids are single use already .. harr harr
    no but seriously a sort of cooldown should be in or a reload timer consuming energy
    Last edited: August 29, 2014
  8. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Yup a long cooldowntime with adjustable slider, changing how much power you are using to "cool it down". Maybe one of the catalysts could also be destroyed by the amounts of power in this weapon.
  9. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

And yup, it's bustable by asteroids. As soon as a catalyst point is destroyed the whole thing is defunct. :)
  10. wienerdog4life

wienerdog4life Active Member

You really ought to have to put a few halleys on the metal planet. Really. What is turning that thing?
    husbandinlaw likes this.
  11. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Inertial thrusters?
  12. MrTBSC

engines and gears within the planet itself that rotate the outer shell.... good technolbla?
    squishypon3 likes this.
  13. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

the charge up time for the laser is moddable. Currently set to 3 (sec?)

don't have time to test it now but someone set it to 120 or something as see what happens.
  14. camycamera

camycamera Member

quite frankly it is extremely OP, once you build them you basically win. you can eliminate all opposing planets in a matter of seconds, ending matches really quick, especially ones with 2 planets.
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I too think it should probably be 1 use, at least 1 use per set of catalysts (rebuild to reuse).
  16. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Unless someone smashes you first! Played an awesome game yesterday were we planet smashed the catalysts about 3 seconds before it fired. Was truly epic.
  17. MrTBSC

errr well its a gameender after all ...
    but i aggree with the time .. so yea cooldown or reload ... but i am against single use or rebuilding catalists ... i rather would want it be fight for control or permadestroy a catalist slot than the metalplanet being "only one single use ever" ...
    Last edited: August 31, 2014
  18. tohron

tohron Active Member

One idea: give it a charge-up period both when first built, and after firing each shot. Have each Catalyst consume about 25K energy/second, and let it keep charging until it has consumed 30 million energy (4 minutes if you don't stall energy). Once it's charged, the fire option becomes available.
  19. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member