Steam users for PTE, use beta service.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, August 29, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Nobody seems to know this, but Steam has it's own version of PTE. Right click "Planetary Annihilation" in your Steam library and select "properties" from the drop down menu. Now go to the "BETAS" tab and select the button right below the "select the beta you would like to opt into:" then select PTE from the drop down menu.

Hope this helps you ;)
    Zblub, wienerdog4life and xSkitz like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Good night forums, my phone's about to die so no more 4g for my computer to mooch off of... See you tomorrow morning. ;)
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

What, no free nightly internet anymore?

Furthermore, it downloads the version you opt into each time, so switching to PTE requires update, switching back requires update, switching yet again requires update... Best to copy paste versions in your steam folder if you wish.
  4. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Not unless you got 90 up and down speeds ;) College internet is pretty great.
  5. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

not really worth loading up the PTE is it? its slower than ubers regular servers
  6. thetrophysystem

If strict performance is what you want, get the addler or possibly the entity xf. If you want something flashy, the cheetah and feltzer have neat mods in the shop and look much cooler while trading a wee bit of performance.

If you want strict performance in PA, stable always loads faster with less bugs. If you want a giant space laser and gas giants, and an underrated amount of new polish features, PTE is where you go.

BTW, pte really is underrated this time around. I noticed new units, new unit behaviors, tweaked naval things, combat fabbers are amphibious for instance, the build queue path line is a bright beam of white for easy readability, the pathing is better with the sole exception being queueing catalysts with land fabbers, metal has been slightly better distributed last few games I loaded, and haven't noticed instability in this PTE, just bugs specifically tied to new features, for instance crashing a planet into a giant laser causes total sim freeze.
    vackillers likes this.
  7. mrcossack

mrcossack New Member

Just getting a black screen when i try the PTE on steam. Same for anyone else? Normal build works fine.
  8. aussieguy

aussieguy New Member

Its Asking for a key, which key do i use?
  9. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Meh, when I wanted to play on PTE I just downloaded the game from ubernet instead of using Steam - worked just fine.
  10. thetrophysystem

You don't need a key, you just select the pte from the beta dropdown box. The key is to populate that list, and in this case the pte is in that list without any key entered. You should see opt out, and pte, and you should choose pte. The key box is in case only "opt out" shows, and you need it to even see the beta in the list (in this case the beta is called pte).
  11. aussieguy

aussieguy New Member

cool thanks, had me confused me for a sec there -_-
  12. thetrophysystem

Sorry the answer's long overdue.
  13. Zblub

Zblub New Member

OOOOOOOHHHHHH YES! did it help me. :D

Thanks to you I just blew up planet with a giant deathlaser, and then again in the replay, and again, and agian, and again......

I never figured out how to get the Uber launcher working, and thanks to you I don't have to :)
  14. gerii

gerii Member

Not all PTE versions have been available through Steam because it's more work for Uber to put them on Steam.