Multiple Monitor support after 1.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zaniaac, August 21, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

sidetraking this will you put this mod back in working order?
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Someday
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. tatsujb

:p fires kudos in your general direction.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Can we have it 'soon' (tm)?
  5. Zaniaac

Zaniaac Member

I will always be under the impression that if a game needs a mod then that game developer either failed to make a game that person wanted to play or either wanted to expand on the idea on what developer couldn't do. Dual monitor support for PA is probably a lofty goal for them to achieve or its something that cant technically be done without putting to much time into it. I just asked the simple question of when will it be in the game. I know not all the the goals are going to be in the game at the time of release but I would like to know if they are going to do it or not.
    I always thought Supreme Commander was huge and thus had to use dual monitors to see what I was doing to properly multitask. PA is going that one step further and giving you multiple planets and thousands of units to command. The Picture and picture mode is fantastic but what if we could go one step more and do dual monitor and have each monitor have Picture and picture on the two screens? (Big *** video card with a least 3GB of video ram or more) That would be a great amazing.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. dude86

dude86 Member

Well I'll await the coming off multi viewport support.

Fact is pretty early on uber set some high expectations about multi viewport. I.e. they claimed the need for a mini Map would be pretty much be gone. My own vision for example was to open four viewports and manage both sides of the planet that way. It was indeed a core feature to be included.

That it will now be missing in final and the ongoing sales and discounts for late buyers has dented my kick starter faith quite a bit.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Actually Uber have baked in the required functionality from the start. I think the main reason for not making it a defualt option is performance. The PIP system allows multiple fully rendered windows, which is where the mod comes from (basically enabling you to have more PIP and use them on another screen). The issue is that currently most peoples computers struggle enough with the main game so it would probably create a support nightmare if they added the option (as some users have a habbit of *having* to turn all the options on and then going off the deep end if the performance isn't super smooth).
  8. dude86

dude86 Member

Yes the current mini map does exactly what I want. I would only need to be able to rescale that and move the main viewport or something like that.

I will check out any mods enabling this.
  9. tatsujb

as stated above, there is one and I asked when it would be working again, and he said someday