PA Launcher Crashes during update

Discussion in 'Support!' started by bushy, August 24, 2014.

1. forss

forss New Member

It's an laptop with a dedicated graphics card too (switchable graphics). So the actual graphics card is an amd 7970m using drivers released in december/januari last year. Driver update is a bit of a hassle with this setup so I'll wait with updating those until I find issues with them.

Avast antivirus, only the standard windows 7 firewall.
    DirectX up to date.
    Did not have Visual C++ 2013 (only older versions), installing this did not help.
    Was one version back on .NET Framework 4.5.1, updating to 4.5.2 did not help.

Also, it's on (140 out of 145 packages downloaded) I'm stuck. Crashes at somewhere by 800+MB downloaded.

EDIT: Updating finally worked after updating my amd drivers. Not sure I dare removing the game to see if it was just a random success.
    Last edited: August 27, 2014
  2. bushy

bushy New Member

I finally tried putting the game on C:\.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the launcher I had the same result; however, I did try coping the existing installation to C:\ and then doing the update and found that it failed during the decompress step rather than the download step. It ended up being the same exception.
  3. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hmm...I'm all out of ideas. :( It seems that there is no root to this problem.

But don't fret, word is that the developers are working on a new launcher update that may fix the "140 out of 145" errors.
  4. corteks

corteks Active Member

Just had this problem on the new almost-1.0 PTE build. Tried several times with it failing at the same point.

Seems telling the launcher to run as administrator (in Windows 7) seemed to have made it work and update! Now I'm gonna go and try out that ANNIHILAZOR!
  5. calpernicus

calpernicus New Member

Hi, I am having the same problem with the uber launcher failing multiple times trying to download the PTE files.

Here is my DX Diag info... I am running this on a laptop and it has a Nvidia GT-540M 2gb but this does not show up in the dx diag for some reason. However the Nvidia settings are enabled to run the game using the graphics card.

Any help would be appreciated - I seem to be downloading the same data over and over....

Attached Files:

6. InstantMix

InstantMix Member

I'm now at the other end of the spectrum, where the launcher has downloaded the files but is failing to copy some of them. Had a look at the log and it turns out there's 10 or so files that don't want to copy.
    Is this a case that it was a corrupt download?

If that's the case, how do I make it so it redownloads some of the packages?

Attached Files:

7. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Your Nvidia drivers are outdated:
    Code:
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M
    Driver Version: 8.17.12.6893
    Driver Date/Size: 2/27/2012 01:59:46, 12842600 bytes
    Here is the link to the latest set of drivers:
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77228/en-us

I found something in your UberLauncherLog.txt file:
    Code:
    [10:42:58.515] INFO Unable to copy file: C:\Games\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation Launcher\cache\fedf2268baad9a06319fc5b36fed8e5096a3ffd9 to C:\Games\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation Launcher\Planetary Annihilation\PTE\bin_x86\fmodex.dll
    [10:42:58.609] INFO Delete: /PA_Windows_71400.gz
    [10:42:58.609] INFO 10 errors detected
    It sounds like you may want to reinstall the game to this directory: C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation Launcher. Also, you will want to post a Dxdiag to check for outdated drivers.
  8. Pisshead

Pisshead New Member

Hi

I have also troubles with the updater. Neither clicking "play" nor "verify" solve the problem. It crashes at package 14 of 18 at 612 MB of 806. Drivers should be the latest, but I'll upload the dxdiag anyway, because I might have overlooked one. I have NOT installed the game on c:\ and I'd rather like not to. My c\.: is a SSD and the other hardrives are standard drives.
    Additionaly I get a message first thing after clicking on the launcher exe "failed to rename file". Any clue about that?

Thanks in advance

Pisshead

Attached Files: