Some necessary, but unimplemented features

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by martenbe, August 27, 2014.

1. martenbe

martenbe New Member

Hi,

First of all, I wanna say congrats to Uber for making such a revolutionary and nice game! It's one of the first in it's kind, and that is always a challenge to develop!

However I would like to point out to a few features that in my eyes are necessary, but still missing and was hoping you guys could give these a thought:

• Remove an order from an order queue: In SupCom by using Ctrl+Shift+RightMouseButton, one could remove a queued order. I often find myself in the situation that I have made a huge order queue, but made one mistake. The solution right now is to undo the queue and make the queue again from scratch, which can be very frustrating.
    • An option menu to toggle intelligence and attack ranges on/of permanently: Right now the ranges are visible when you select the unit/building and hold Ctrl. But it would be very handy if we could toggle to see ranges continously (extremely handy for intelligence, so you can always see which spot is covered by radar and which not).
    • A launcher/updater for linux: I love the fact that PA also works on linux, that is really innovative (and also challenging in development I can guess). I have much respect for this! But linux users have to download the whole game every update (and also no access to PTE I think?). So a Linux launcher which regulates updates etc. would be very handy!
    • This is just an idea and not very important, but I still would like opinions on this: Would it be possible to enable to update the commander in the game so that it could also build (some) T2 buildings? Because after a while, when the game moves to T2, the commander sometimes becomes obsolete due to the restriction that it can only build T1 structures. (Maybe I'm just using him in the wrong way, thats also a possibility :p )
    These are just somethings I was thinking about. It is not criticisme, because the game is making good progress (please do not start the "Is the game ready for launch"-discussion in this thread!).

Thanks for all the hard work Uber, keep on going!

Marten

EDIT:

Also something I was missing:
    • Include explanations in the settings GUI: Currently it is not always clear what some settings do or what the available options for each settings do. A tooltip with explanation or something equivalent would help greatly!
    Last edited: August 27, 2014
    aevs likes this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

YOU CAN REMOVE STUFF FROM QUEUE'S IN SUPCOM?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Jesus, I just redo the order each time I want stuff changed........my whole life....
    Aranfan, Geers, Remy561 and 2 others like this.
  3. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

Yes you can but it has limited functionality, you can only remove one by one from what you have queued for each building type
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The commander is the closest thing you have to energy-free assistance. It is the most efficient thing you can assist with, and powerful to boot. You assist a t1 factory with it, then a t2 factory when one comes up, and you build power with him if low because he sinks less power to build power.

Besides that, alright ideas by me. It might be a legitimate oversight of the devs, but for a new mkII launcher and knowing the game is linux-capatable it sure would have been nice for it to be linux capatable. I am not sure the details why it is.
  5. martenbe

martenbe New Member

I came up with the idea of T2 build capacity for the commander, because a match I've played recently in GW. I had no advanced tech and therefore I couldn't build T2 workers for building anti nukes etc. which made me feel very unsafe. Therefore a good compromise would be to have an upgrade possibility for the commander to build a some of the T2 structures to give a fair (defensive) chance.
  6. thetrophysystem

Ah, that is another thing entirely. GW gives you holes in your tech, so you have to choose. The commander... probably shouldn't cover them.

At the same time, the commander being the only unit able to cover them, would be pretty neat. The way the game is atm, by the "ZeroK Factor", you wouldn't be able to build t2 metal or energy from start anyway. If you just used your commander to establish it, you would be just as bad off.
  7. martenbe

martenbe New Member

Also something I was missing:
    • Include explanations in the settings GUI: Currently it is not always clear what some settings do or what the available options for each settings do. A tooltip with explanation or something equivalent would help greatly!
    kayonsmit101 and gerii like this.
  8. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

Aren't T2 fabbers more efficient ? 3000/80 as opposed to 1500/30
  9. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

OMG a thread like this that didn't suggest T3 or Shields, I congratulate you sir.

I agree with your Queue suggestion.
    martenbe likes this.
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

That's less efficient as it uses more energy per metal.

Edit: whoops, read it wrong. Are you sure they aren't the same efficiency with double on both? :p
    Last edited: August 27, 2014
  11. thetrophysystem

Also, overassistance of a factory gives you greater cost for longer rolloff time, why more factories are better than 1 infinitely assisted factory. The commander increases buildspeed without overassisting it with too much metal for a still-2-second rolloff time.
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

UUUUSE THE SARCASM TAAAAAAAG

puuuuuleeeeeheheeeeeeeeeese

I'm dying here.

I legitimately CANNOT tell when you guys are being sarcastic and it's LEGITIMATELY NOT MY FAULT.

TT_TT
  13. igncom1

I wasn't being sarcastic, Im just not a big user of hotkeys, never will be, and this information was new to me.
  14. tatsujb

how could it be when I posted all over the forums about this : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/future-queuing-reorganizing-orders-move-build-etas.53140/ ?

ok, anyways.

It really is a big surprise to me that you (a supcom 2 veteran) don't know about this.

you should really start using it. I mean I don't use hotbuild, but that stuffs like the basics.
  15. allister

allister Active Member

How about:
    "Player has left the game."
    "Player was disconnected (and may or may not return)."
    PA is the only multiplayer game in the world without these. It has to make it into 1.0...
    Also, colored player names so you know which of your teammates or enemies are talking.
  16. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

Definitely agree with this one!! Also an option to turn off ground icons when selecting orbital in the ui settings would be nice. They use to have this but as the ui settings aren't very intuitive or explained well, I wouldn't know if it was still an option...
  17. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Well, it does, but not the way you're expecting. In top left corner, when a player is not connected, the shape of the icon is empty/black when not yet connected/disconnected, and filled with its color otherwise.
    There was a mod for that, but it has been broken for a long time
  18. igncom1

Well, it's why I always preferred macro rts games over micro ones.

Micro ones take a disproportionately greater amount of mouse clicks and actual speed, where as games like SupCom:FA and SupCom2 are much more lax about it.

Could never get that into warcraft 3 and starcraft, and im only really good at steamrolls in age of empires and command and conquer titles (Outside the commando missions and the like).
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  19. tatsujb

see? you'd LOVE stuff like this.

And you'd probably love my idea for expanding on this as well.
  20. igncom1

:cool: Very clever, I am however cautious about spring engine feature creep.

A little polish go's miles.