1.0? ...Many Linux users still can't even play...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by classic1977, August 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Ah OK I follow where your coming from now. To be honest though in the event I *own* a copy of windows I may as well dual boot. You have to remember that with any 'exotic' set up like that the CAD software company will refuse to provide support despite paying good amounts of maintenance each year. Given the number of times they screw up their own software it's not worth taking the risk to use a set-up like that for a production environment.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I am one sly fox. :>
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I have reasons why I like to use Linux as my main OS and I only use Windows as launcher for rare apps/games. It's not about price at all, so I just saying that currently there is no problem with using CAD or any other software when Linux is your main OS.

Though I'm not Linux evangelist so I all for people using OS they prefer.

Hardware virtualization isn't change environment at all. Nothing going to fail due to VM usage.

And basically you have exactly same chances that they'll refuse to support any you because you don't use certified Quadro / FirePro GPUs or drivers.
  4. cdrkf

I do run on a Fire GL card though for my CAD work :)

Edit: Just to clarify, I use Windows at work for CAD, I use Linux on my home machine, although I do have Windows on that as well. So I could try out a VM on my home machine and see how that works out.
  5. tg230

tg230 New Member

I understand Uber's need to meet business obligations and release soon. But 1) I'm sad I won't be able to play at launch. 2) Uber is delaying looking into upgrading CoherentUI and possibly fixing Linux UI issues for at least a few months.

I love PA and will happily play it when/if gets fixed. But if Uber ever promises Linux support for a future title I'll probably pass if this is the experience I can look forward too.
    Antiglow and tatsujb like this.
  6. cdrkf

I would say lets give them a chance, doing things like updating CoherentUI effect all versions so are more likely to occur in a major release than the minor hotfix releases- so there is a chance this *might* get included in the release candidate build (fingers crossed). Uber do have a guy dedicated to this (doesn't sound like a lot however you need to remember Uber is a small team so 1 guy full time on something is a significant resource investment for them).
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

First of all I never defended Coherent middleware in particular, but there clearly no better UI solution than Chromium-based one and those is future for games. Unfortunately I'm not game developer so I can't say if there any better replacement for Coherent and I just trust Uber choice there.

I'm defended and going to defend Uber where I see unreasonable criticism. E.g one game-breaking problem it's not reason to ignore all other work developers done.

Then worksforme because on 1920x1200 button is perfectly accessible.

Still it's can't be called "bug", more like quality-of-life feature. Fact that Unity ignore standard icons system it's only Canonical NIH problem.

Also not all Ubuntu users are Unity users. ;)
  8. tatsujb

Untsd.jpg
    button isn’t click-able and doesn’t light up unless i'm on the while line between the two. Scale UI doesn't fix.
  9. enderdude

enderdude Member

My mac randomly crashes and is laggy sometimes, i hope this is fixed in the 1.0 release
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Don't forget that likely 1/4 of all Linux games ported by one guy (Icculus).

Also @jorgenpt worked on Dota 2 porting to Linux at Valve so I pretty sure he's well skilled guy and I'm extremely positive about all hard work he's done since he joined Uber.
    shootall, cdrkf and tatsujb like this.
  11. tatsujb

yes but that's the premise.

alot of people install linux thanks to ubuntu these days. these rookies have no idea you can change the desktop environment or that there are sub-variants.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Which button exactly? :p
  13. tatsujb

close. it's in my bug report.

EDIT : sorry both close and save system
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I have some weird feeling that this your problem caused by mods... :p
    shootall likes this.
  15. tatsujb

Untsd.jpg
    shhhhhh!!!

(which one is it?)

**my bad**
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Likely system sharing. Problem here is simple: each part of top button bar have hardcoded max-width so as result buttons just going to text line which is unfortunately isn't available for clicks.
    shootall likes this.
  17. tatsujb

oh. yep. wow thanks.
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Haha. X3
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

One request for you on bug tracker: please don't remove contents of tasks this way. Thanks.
  20. tatsujb

ok, sure thing.

I just felt silly as it was my fault's not the game.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.