Why is the arc for arty so ridiculously high up?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, August 25, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

If it's an art choice.... don't listen to the art team : D

If it's a technical constraint .... let's find a fix.
    nateious likes this.
  2. balsamicninja

balsamicninja Member

Because in the next patch it can target orbital.
    Planktum likes this.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Because the pelter used to basically replace laser turrets and Uber went with the easy fix instead of the fix that still makes sense.
    nateious and eroticburrito like this.
  4. tatsujb

people really need to use the /s tag.

source ?
  5. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

It's a bad joke lol
    spittoon likes this.
  6. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I can't resist making artillery squeals when I see shells falling on units from on high.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I could put a warning label on all computers saying DANGEROUS! EXCESSIVE CONSUMPTION OF TIME TALKING TO PICTURES MAY RESULT FROM PROLONGED USE!

But it wouldn't matter much - just like using the /s tag and figuring out if someone is being sarcastic is a matter of knowledge and wisdom. Figure it out yourself. Geez.
    Planktum and allister like this.
  8. tatsujb

screw you. I don't take jabs to my "lack of knowledge and wisdom" lightly.

find another way to express yourself.

as for how I answer you in this post, it's only fair game considering.
    Last edited: August 25, 2014
  9. allister

allister Active Member

I believe there are two main reasons for the large artillery arc. One is to keep artillery from being too OP. If it shot horizontally, the projectile would get to the target unit very quickly, and would almost never miss. Units could not get away easily if they got in the range of the artillery. Also, if it shot at an angle below, say, 30 degrees (from horizontal), it basically wouldn't be artillery anymore... it would be an rpg or rocket launcher. You could lower the arc and give the projectile a slower horizontal velocity, but it would look really dumb and my not even reach the target unit.

The second reason is to avoid the terrain of the planet. It can't shoot through a mountain or plateau, so it would become useless. Unless... it shoots over it. To prevent uselessness and glitches, just aim the thing more upwards.
  10. kazzymodus

kazzymodus Active Member

Because Uber is nostalgic for LongShots.
  11. tatsujb

for the first reason : did you not think of lowering the projectile's speed? eh : D ? eeeeeeeehh : D?
  12. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I for one think it looks awesome. :|
  13. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

Didn't artillery have a problem with small planets at one stage? They couldn't target anything because the shots arc was greater than the planets radius or something like that.
  14. tatsujb

i think you mean: "having arty trails in the air looks awesome."

it wouldn't be any different if the acr was lower except that the arc would be lower. I think you'd like it just as much. currently they go through the orbital layer, which is a little hard to believe.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

16. tatsujb

typical. thanks for your input.
  17. orangerinapay

orangerinapay Active Member

It was a nerf to artillery in general, before pelters would fire every 3 seconds (correct me if i'm wrong) and would basically chew up armies in no time. They decided to prolong it by making it every 5 seconds AND extended its trajectory to what it is now.

I'll be honest though, every 5 seconds was enough, extending the trajectory not so. Also for aesthetics purposes they should really lower the angle by a bit, let's be honest it looks very silly when you spam shellers on a small planet (they're like rainbows!)
    tatsujb likes this.
  18. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

It's pretty obvious that he was being sarcastic. Maybe you would like him to write "WARNING, sarcasm incoming!" before all his posts.
    Last edited: August 25, 2014
    mered4 likes this.
  19. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Because the units are not taking advantage of pitch restrictions and most units have their initial velocity set on the high-end of their scale. You could change the numbers if you like... it's all there in the numbers.
    tatsujb likes this.
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

*Sigh* ok, I feel like the high angle of the artillery shots is beneficial to preventing the artillery accidentally hitting mountains.

However, I would be interesting in seeing the creation of a low angle artillery like the klink hammer or big burtha.

If you would be willing to show us why the current artillery type isn't suitable?