Comcast and Galactic War

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by portable, August 17, 2014.

1. portable

portable Active Member

I just switched from Clear WiMAX to Comcast, tantalized by the higher speeds, but now GW is unplayable because Comcast connections drop out for ~30 seconds every ~20-30 minutes. By drop out, I mean 100% packet loss. The cable modem's onboard logs don't contain records for the packet loss incidents, but do contain a mixture of T3 and T4 timeouts roughly twice a day.

None of this is Uber's problem. It's Comcast's failure to provide service that now I can't enjoy multiplayer PA.

However, I would like to play GW, but right now whenever one of the incidents occurs, the sim freezes and I'm eventually booted out of the game even if connectivity is restored beforehand. I'm willing to tolerate a longer timeout, and I'm even willing to fight back from a losing position due to the AI stomping all over me while I was unable to respond. But it really sucks to invest 30 minutes of time into a match, and then have to start over.

If that's how it's got to be, then fine, can we have a skirmish mode?
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  2. Imsvale

Imsvale Active Member

Skirmish mode exists, but it's "hidden" under multiplayer. Create a game, add an AI, stomp away.
    Nicb1 and igncom1 like this.
  3. portable

portable Active Member

Thanks Imsvale!
    Imsvale likes this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I wish everyone reported issues with connectivity and gameplay and such so nicely, very easy to read, and makes people more prone to help!

Anyway, when you say Skirmish I'm guessing you mean Offline Skirmish? Because sadly, offline skirmish isn't possible, YET. Offline mode will either come out at release, or shortly after, Uber is working very hard on perfecting the server for public use.

Also I enjoy bolded text, helps with skimming. :D
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yup. On top of that, I invite you to try 1-2 enemy AI, absurd difficulty, small planet, shared armies "off", and set the eco to .6 if you are a newbie.

Because eco is the "rate they expand", how fast they grow in a game. Most newbies can challenge absurd, but can't beat easy at full eco. Even easy at full eco has planet coverage in 8 minutes, so that's why you shrink the eco.

Just remember, try to play at 1.0 yourself, because it helps teach you how much build per eco you need. If you play with inflated numbers, you will get lazy and build slow and in a normal game won't build enough eco to cover consumption.

PS: I HATE COMCAST BUT THEY ARE FAST *shrug*
    Last edited: August 17, 2014
  6. portable

portable Active Member

I'm seriously considering re-subbing Clear for the 250 kb/s down simply because it's dependable.
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

You mean reporting an issue by whining and calling Uber Satan in disguise isn't a good way?
    Heresy.
    websterx01 and squishypon3 like this.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You should attempt to get something like 300kb/s it's the perfect low download rate imo. It's exactly the speed you need to watch streams, and allows you to watch 360p youtube vids without any buffer, 480 maybe.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's ....errrr still the same issue. skirmish and galactic war alike will have an offline version. ......at some point after 1.0.

what you've not grasped, is that : right now PA is integrally always online.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Well one sees the devs run it off their own machine and can see a "local play" option by activating -devmode. So it isn't like Planetside2 or LeagueOfLegends sort of "integrally always online"...
    vackillers likes this.
  11. portable

portable Active Member

So, after scrambling around all evening, I connected an old wifi router to the Comcast modem, and lo, just finished a 72m 3-AI "skirmish" with not a single loss of connectivity. I guess those modems are as bad as the AI that managed to secure a moon in a 3p system, and then Halley its own planet. GG AI. GG.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  12. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Just a heads-up, because I happened to read this this morning, be wary about returning the hardware if you do.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2duzfi/comcasts_corporate_response_to_my_recent_reddit/
    websterx01 likes this.