Use of the term "Casual" (No inflammatory thread titles please)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by icycalm, August 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wienerdog4life

wienerdog4life Active Member

As a philosopher, wouldn't you like to be precise with your terms?

(Mods plz lock this thread. It's going nowhere. )
  2. linike860

linike860 Uber Alumni

You continue to miss an important word that I use. I said "JUST TO PLAY" I don't care if I win or lose in PA. I just want to make a space laser reign terror on an unsuspecting army, or shoot 400 nukes at another planet, or run a glob of 500 robots into a base and cause mayhem! I would say that the players who play for fun are far more accepting of loss, and that this phrase does nothing to demean the fun that winners are having. It only means that you can not win and still have fun. If your point of view that if you don't win, you can't be having fun, perhaps you should only play in competitive matches because that attitude seems to match up with your ideals, (and, to be frank, because I don't want to play with you). If you want to enjoy this game I suggest learning to have fun while still losing.

Yes you get a higher serotonin response when you win, I'll agree, but that doesn't mean that you have to play seriously in every game just to get that serotonin spike. Competitive games are for people playing seriously in order to get that spike. Casual are for people that are playing to get a steady serotonin rise without the cost of playing seriously.

Everyone has ideas, concepts, and ideologies. Just because you may have formal training in recognizing them does not mean yours are more valid than anyone else's
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Echoing the lock. While quite elaborate, and the Uber staff have been amazingly polite and accommodating . . . this guy is simply trolling (for attention or otherwise).
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Not to mention what if you're playing something like... Halo perhaps, and you're playing on Forge, the in game map editor. And what you do is just screw around with your buddies, throwing giant blocks at each other for fun. Are you playing to win, or playing to play?
    optimi likes this.
  5. wienerdog4life

To call him a troll is to take away his accomplishment of making a total turd crusher of himself.
    pieman2906 and Gorbles like this.
  6. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

such drama, who needs Dowton.

winning is contextual. if I survive 10 mins v the best player that's a victory to my mind, even when I loose.

I think you need a new name, I'm not feeling the calmness and serenity here.

the aim of a casual game is to have fun, and for your opponent to have fun too, so if they disconnect you pause to let them rejoin. competitive games want to win, the opponents fun is secondary, they DC, you go for the juggler and trapeze artist.
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Also Gary's Mod, Minecraft, Goat Simulator...
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

I never once said or implied this. In fact I implied quite the opposite. I've already stated that I would continue to keep playing even if, due to PA's lacking multiplayer features, I was outmatched in every single game and was defeated 10,000 times in a row.

Huge mistake. I get no serotonin response when I win against worse players. "Winning", the way you understand it, means nothing to me. I can enjoy a game in which I NEVER win, but I cannot enjoy a game in which I ALWAYS win.

Good players have more fun simply because they put more hours into the game than bad players. If they were not having more fun they would be playing the game less. I don't know how to explain this more simply. The more you enjoy a food the more you eat it, the less you enjoy it the less you eat it. We can actually measure pleasure in labs, and one day this will be scientifically proved, and then the "I play for fun" brigade won't have a leg to stand on. Good players are having WAY MORE fun, and that's why they play the game way more.

Ideas are no more equal than anything else in existence, and the people who have devoted their lives to them will tend to have better ones. You can argue against this, if you want, but it will merely be a bad argument. You'd be essentially arguing against education and culture.
    Last edited: August 14, 2014
  9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

If I could survive 10 seconds I feel like I did good enough. :p
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. icycalm

As for the people citing non-games, or non-game modes in real games, you are refuting your own arguments. Sandbox games (or sandbox modes in real games) are not finished games because the player is acting as a designer, to an extent, so of course there is no "winning" there because there is no objective.
  11. wienerdog4life

12. wienerdog4life

Aside from the objective to have fun

/thread
    pieman2906 and cptconundrum like this.
  13. icycalm

And if someone is making sandbox experiments in Casual mode on PA I sure as hell do not want to be playing with them!
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

15. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Uber have been extremely accomodating of your concerns in this thread and given it a lot more time than most would. You've taken that and continually thrown it back in their faces.

Locking this because it is going nowhere positive.
    sd205521, klovian, wilhelmvx and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.