Display player ping on the scoreboard

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by eternal, February 4, 2011.

1. eternal

eternal New Member

Generally a standard thing in PC games. But I notice its not in MNC, you don't even get one of those console type "connection quality" bars.
  2. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

3. eternal

eternal New Member

OOPS! My bad I guess I should have done a forum search to see if someone had suggested it already.
  4. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

The viable defense is that this is PC wishlist. ;)
  5. grimbar

grimbar New Member

open console: playerlist. Enjoy ping value, as if it did anything to you if you knew that your opponent has connection issues
  6. eternal

eternal New Member

you can also quit the game via console. It doesn't mean there shouldn't be a button for it on the main menu. :roll:
  7. grimbar

grimbar New Member

The question is: What do you gain from seeing your enemy's ping? You can see your own ping just fine using stat net
  8. cyzmyass

cyzmyass New Member

Ping in scoreboard should be standard in any pc multiplayer game, it helps to have confirmation of server or client lag, just feeling it is not enough, typing in console is not as intuitive.

Even left4dead displays pings in scoreboard and thats no way as competitive as mnc.
  9. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

Maybe i'm just not as lazy as these folks with their "skin choosing" and "typing playerlist in console".
  10. eternal

eternal New Member

its not a matter of being lazy its a matter of streamlining.

For example:

2 cars, both get you from Point A to Point B

Would you rather pick the car that gets you there in 20minutes and uses 1gallon of gas

Or

The car that gets you there in 40minutes and takes 2 gallons of gas.

You still get to the same location, you don't miss out on anything by picking one car over the other. But one is clearly more well designed.
  11. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Assume you now know that your ping is 40 and that of your opponents is 50, what does change?
  12. eternal

eternal New Member

Assume that suddenly the game starts chugging along for no reason.

Is it your computer?

Is it the server?

Is it your connection or is everyone else lagging too?

--

Assume you host a server instead of doing a dedicated server

How is everyone pinging? Is there a notice able lag when you get more than 4 people? What about 5? How well can your connection handle running a server with a couple friends on it, do you need to lock it out at a certain number?

You see a player skipping around, is it their connection or yours causing them to appear to jump?
  13. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

guess i'll stop arguing and say that adding it is fine, however I'd rather see other things implemented or fixed at the moment.

not priority at all.
  14. grimbar

grimbar New Member

stat net is MUCH more useful for about everything you listed there. Also ping is no indication of perfomance
  15. eternal

eternal New Member

If your ping is stable it gives you a better indicator that the problem may lie not with your net connection but with your computer.

@mibuwolf

For once I agree with you lol. While I'd like to see this added, its a low priority and I'd rather see fixes for existing problems first.
  16. spirit

spirit New Member

So...please ignore this wish in the Wishlist section and move along. You don't have to argue against everything you don't see a personal need for. :)

Many people (myself included) understand how good a simple number can be for debugging issues with our game performance.

I don't know why so many people feel the need to try and shutdown ideas that in no way will impact them...
  17. grimbar

grimbar New Member

I don't know why people don't realise that this engine has a tickrate of 30 with no interpolation.
  18. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

However, your wish takes time to fulfill, time to ignore other people' requests and MONEY. Also, "playerlist" did a well enough job and grimbar I think even said "stat net", HOWEVER, recently the console list is now back to the default UE 'one-liner'. Now there's no log to go off of. :|

So it might be necessary if we don't get that huge console screen back. As far as I know, there's no way to get the info from playerlist to the screen anymore, as well as their IDs,etc? :?:
  19. spirit

spirit New Member

Do you have any idea how much time it would take to do this? No
    Do you have any idea how much money it would take to do this? No
    Do you have any knowledge of the engine and how much effort it would take to do this? No
    Does UberEnt have the ability to decide for themselves what is worthwhile? Absolutely Yes

FYI, a latency display could be done before lunch by an intern on their first day, its incredibly easy and already built into the engine. Its likely not there because numeric latency is rarely (if ever?) shown on Xbox.

Moral of the story? Don't try and make determinations about things based on your opinion and your interest in them rather than facts. If you don't care for the request of someone, move on and leave it alone. UberEnt is very capable of figuring out for themselves, if a request should just be ignored. If you feel there is possible improvements to the request, go ahead and offer them up. But don't go through ripping apart their request with excuses like time and money, something that you have no measure of.
  20. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

They can only spend so much time adding stuff that people request is all I'm trying to tell people. Not that it isn't worth their time, but getting picky is one thing.

Ping isn't completely necessary in a game. I still agree that displaying ping in console isn't a horrible thing and is definitely an easy work around.

My opinion of this whole topic is: Don't add something when there are fixes to be made and game breaking issues. I'll keep saying it, and yes... I'll beat that dead horse.