So Today I Tried The Oculus Rift [I FOUND THE GAME!]

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, August 3, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Yes, it was awesome. It's a pretty weird feeling, I felt a little (just a tiny bit) off-balance/queasy/weird. I think I could get used to it, it my just be the inertia from the headset hanging off your face. Took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that in order to aim up and down in the game I was playing, I had to look up and down. DERP. To readjust the focus there's two screws on the side of the device. So unless you have iron fingernails you're going to be mashing a small coin against the side of your head until it slips into the depression so you can twist it and adjust the focus. Other than that, I was deeply impressed and I WANT ONE.

I'm not sure what the game was. Some indie-looking shooter with three other players (or maybe it was AI) and there were blocks flying around that you shot with your beam laser, the red ones took two hits and white blocks were invulnerable. At the end of the level/round there was a big buttefly thing made of blocks and... This sounds like a drug trip doesn't it?

I think I saw the word "time" in the title...
    Last edited: August 6, 2014
    BulletMagnet likes this.
  2. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Someone at our degree show had an Oculus set up for their project, but it was kinda shoehorned in at the last moment. Tried it for a while, but it wasn't perfect since the headtracking for moving the camera was limited.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The problem with Oculus is simple: Facebook.

Facebook owns Oculus and last I heard, every Oculus game has to be a registered Facebook application.

It's cool technology, but the association with Facebook ruins it.
  4. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Wait, what? This is news to me, source?
  5. brianpurkiss

6. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

I hope they don't keep that. When I heard Facebook bought it, I was like ok not necessarily a big deal. That would make a big deal. and by big deal, I mean the potential being smashed into the ground unless Facebook is trying to become something completely different than what they are right now.
  7. aevs

aevs Post Master General

That's... not a source. All that is is 'facebook buys oculus rift'. I already knew that.
    I'm talking about your claim that "every Oculus game has to be a registered facebook application", you know, the one I quoted, that seems completely ridiculous on its own.
  8. brianpurkiss

When the sale was announced, TONS of game developers instantly announced that they wouldn't be building in Oculus support. I believe Mincecraft said the same thing as well. And... Star Citizen? Can't remember.

However, there have been a bunch of VR competitors springing up.
  9. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

Notch is full of himself nowadays anyway. I guess he can afford to be, but nonetheless...
  10. Geers

Star Citizen is keeping Oculus support. We really need a source on that "it must be a facebook app" rule because that doesn't sound right at all.
  11. brianpurkiss

It's something that I read during the initial announcement however many months ago it happened.

It may have been an unconfirmed rumor or Facebook may have changed their mind or it may be true.

I don't care enough to Google.

If you're curious, Google it.
  12. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Quick google search returned nothing.

Stating unconfirmed things that you can't even remember if they're rumors or not really should be avoided.
  13. Geers

State it all you like. As long as it is stated in a manner that shows that it is not a researched or confirmed fact. Don't mislead people by posting rumours without stating they're rumours.
  14. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Given the absolute lack of evidence, things using the Oculus need not be a registered Facebook App.

In related news, all Microsoft software is now being sold exclusively via XBox Live. I don't care enough to Google it.
    cptconundrum, stuart98 and Geers like this.
  15. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I just checked the TOS for the SDK.

They explicitly state that they only own the rights to derivative works, and that derivative works do not include games made using the SDK. Derivative works are only things like software enhancements and junk like that. Not applications or games.

source - https://developer.oculusvr.com/license

So now we have evidence that Oculus Rift is still a good thing.
    tollman, Geers and BulletMagnet like this.
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

There's nothing in the Oculus SDK indicating that logging in or registering with Facebook is required, or even supported as of yet (of course, adding Facebook Connect is dead simple for anyone who wants to).

What the future brings, hard to say, but so far, it appears Facebook has been very hands off with the Oculus VR crew. But then, I don't particularly object to Facebook's involvement. I don't store confidential information on Facebook or Google services because they're free services that make their money off ads and data analytics. So I only give them access to basic information and they're welcome to do what they want with it.

Once something goes on the internet, even if you encrypt it, I assume you should have no expectation of security, so I keep stuff like that firewalled on unconnected machines. Financial records, backups, etc.

Off topic, but.. I'm looking forward to my DK2 arriving (ordered my own some time back) and a lot of the other projects besides Oculus are already going strong. It's still a very nascent technology, but it's gonna be a huge deal in the coming years. Can't wait to start doing some personal project work on mine when it arrives. May even post a few here if they get far enough along, depending on if it's purely a personal project or not.

I also don't appear to be affected by the motion sickness some people experience, so that's kinda nice.
    aevs, BulletMagnet and Remy561 like this.
  17. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Cat herder....? :p
  18. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Being a producer is often compared to herding cats, so.. yes. :)
    FSN1977 likes this.
  19. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

20. tollman

tollman Member

If you have a spare hour or two some of you may enjoy John Carmack's SMU Talk:

The first part of the talk goes over some of his earlier career as it is the 20th anniversary of Doom and then the 2nd half of the talk and the Q&A at the end have a lot regarding what he is working on now and the kind of challenges they are working to overcome. Interesting stuff I think.

(slight edit for clearer meaning)
    Last edited: August 4, 2014