Winners don't "gg" - mind your manners ...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Shwyx, August 3, 2014.

1. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

There were huge debattes in germany dealing with the use of the word "Gesundheit" (read: I wish that you should recover soon) after someone was sneezing...
    ...this whole discussion was completly pointless...
    ...and it´s the same thing here: If you use GG as a fomula, ITS BAD! If you mean it, ITS GOOD!
    lokiCML and aevs like this.
  2. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Every community can use gg however they like, there is no "proper" way of doing and it doesn't matter that there isn't one.
    lokiCML and SatanPetitCul like this.
  3. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

I have to be frank: I didn't expect this to blow up the way it did. Three pages in just a day - I guess there's some potential for discussion after all, even if a good part of you thinks I'm nuts for even considering this an issue worth wasting words over. Still, I'm glad at least a handful of people agree, and that some others didn't know about the "history" of GG and its use in other competitive games.

I guess what I'm really after is a sense of community, sportsmanship, and mature gaming in general. I well remember my very first online games in WarCraft 2 and StarCraft; they were a lot like LAN parties. People acknowledged each other and sometimes even friendships were formed. And because communities were relatively small and niche compared to "mainstream" gaming, people were courteous and valued manners, communication and respect for friend and foe alike.

I know, I know, nostalgia plays a big part there and not everything was better in the olden days. But you have to agree that online gaming is different nowadays - bigger, better, faster, but also a lot less personal. We play with more people than ever before, but it's harder to make friends than it has ever been. Small, close-knit communities are a remedy for this trend, and small rituals like a "gg" help to maintain these and form a feeling of solidarity (we even have a word for that in german: Zusammengehörigkeitsgefühl).

So - again, thanks for reading. Thanks for discussing. Thanks for being here :).
    badfucatus and cptconundrum like this.
  4. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

Gbgg
  5. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I call gg when it's a good game and bg if its a bad game. I do think the winner calling gg first is kind of... I dont know, more of a "ha ha".
    popededi likes this.
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

[​IMG]
    how i play when someone doesn't say gg at the end
  7. nguk9

nguk9 New Member

GG is a weapon sometimes that's why i love this stupid rule.
    BulletMagnet likes this.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I also remember the very friendly and welcoming online community of Total Annihilation back in the 90s and also more recently TA:Spring (which is really only played by die hard TA fans, due to the Spring RTS project having to keep a low profile to avoid any 'problems' related to IP). As with all things you occasionally get the odd idiot (although in Spring in particular even the trolls were pretty nice usually), but with a small group like that you get to know everyone. That's one of the reasons I joined a clan- I don't really have the time to train up to be really competitive however I like the community aspect which you get when you play regularly with a group.

Edit: One thing I would say, I think PA feels very much like TA and Spring in relation to the awesome community. I think if any game can buck the trend and have a nice 'old skool' community it's this game :)
    badfucatus and Shwyx like this.
  9. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

[​IMG]
  10. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

usually i just state gg to surrender
    and state gg after my opponent calls gg to surrender
    i say Good game if it really was a good game =P
    how much more complicated can it get?
  11. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

oh nm I found it, nm me ;p

also don't gg rage quit, its cool!
  12. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Not there? I think it is.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Yeah it's there. It's kind of horrible, but it's there.
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  14. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

I've used 'gg' to get my opponent to drop even if he still has a chance... :p

Taunting is fun...it's been a part of games for ages...
    Nothing makes your opponent bash his keyboard harder than saying "GG no re l2p noob."
  15. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

It's called being a douche. It's not fun, it's just, you know, being a douche.
    cdrkf and cptconundrum like this.
  16. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Even if I win a game and it was a good game I recognize the other player was good and say GG as well... not to taunt, just to acknowledge that it was a good game. Never ever had a problem with anyone thinking it was bad conduct.
  17. donut64

donut64 Member

When winners say "gg", I honestly get a little mad.
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

People get mad when others say gg?

I might have to start....
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

gg guys.
  20. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Interestingly, usually, there is no time to type "gg" once the game is decided--it isn't over until it's over, yes? I don't often get a chance to say it, (nor do I always care to, but that's a different thing altogether). If it's a good game and I'm not on TS with them, I do try.

P.S.: I 1v1'd burntcustard a few times now and it usually results in me losing within 7 minutes if I don't know the balance; 15 or less if I do. However, it is always a good game because I learned something every single time he wiped the floor with me. I happen to find that learning something cool or new is more important than even playing a decently matched game.
    badfucatus and cptconundrum like this.