Suggestion: Never Ending Galactic War

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, August 3, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Idea taken from this post on reddit.

Why does the game end after the Galactic War is won? The Commanders are caught in a never ending Galactic War after all.

Why not just move onto the next system? The next Galaxy could have a bump up in difficulty, and once you max out the difficulty levels, give the AI an extra 0.5 economy boost until the player is finally defeated.
  2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

eh...i guess you can call it an endless mode, after every mission you can get tech, and sorts, but right now, i suggest that Uber improve galactic warfare before doing an endless mode
    tehtrekd likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

Well... of course.

No one is suggesting that Uber stop what they're doing and focus on this.

Nevertheless, this would make a fantastic addition since Uber plans on updating PA on a regular basis down the line.
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

It's... an interesting idea, but I dunno.
    Considering by the time you finish off a galaxy you have enough techs that you're essentially a super-commander, by the time you're done with the fourth or fifth you're probably going to be strong enough to take on the entire galaxy in one game.
    Especially if you horde sub-commanders.
  5. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

like what i meant, its pacing issues that need to be addressed first
  6. brianpurkiss

Which is why the difficulty gets upped each time.

You have better tech, but then the enemy gets harder. Eventually the enemy would have such a high economy modifier that it no longer matters how many sub commanders you have.
  7. monte93

monte93 Active Member

after you have acquired all tech isn't is a glorified skirmish generator?
  8. brianpurkiss

I suppose you could simplify it and say that.

But, it has increasing difficulty, and once GW gets polished, a variety of challenges and scenarios to overcome.
    monte93 likes this.
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It is amazing how much you can change in galactic war through mods. I see no reason why this can't be made as a mod already.
    burntcustard likes this.
  10. monte93

monte93 Active Member

only if the story/gameplay gets more complex than conquer the thing. maybe stop the thing from leaving planet or invade an existing base (owned obviously by the thing) etc etc if not i see no difference to a skirmish with system selection and difficulty settings
  11. monte93

monte93 Active Member

don't get me wrong love the idea but as it stands i feel i could become tedious
  12. brianpurkiss

Now that would be interesting.

However, I'm guessing there isn't a way (yet) to pass on game data between wars. So it'd need to be something manual/custom.

I know there's that GW mod that creates some new Commander types. I'm pretty bummed that there haven't been more GW mods so far.

Maybe I should look into making one...
  13. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

I don't like endless modes. I would appreciate an attempt at a narrative -- even in the most basic form of some text screens -- far more than this suggestion. The Galactic War is supposed to cover for the lack of a campaign, and I feel that an endless setup would take it further from that goal rather than closer to it.

Note that I haven't played the game yet so perhaps I don't know what I am talking about. I am going by descriptions of GW that I have read.

GW is supposed to become multiplayer at some point, no? Can you have an endless mode if GW is multiplayer? I feel that, in the absence of a narrative of some sort, a multiplayer Galactic War would be the closest you can get to a campaign without an actual campaign. Especially given the game's lore/setting, which doesn't have any real "characters" in it, so to speak.

Or maybe all these ideas are compatible in practice. I guess I need to play the game to figure that out, but I am holding out for 1.0.
  14. brianpurkiss

We're talking about multiple playstyles.

And by endless, I'm not talking about endless wave mode. (although a mod is being worked on for that) When you beat one galaxy, you move onto the next rather than completely restarting the galaxy. It's an option.

And as for GW multiplayer, that is going to behave differently than single player GW anyways.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't get why people are so obsessed with the idea of a storyline. The only thing a storyline adds is cutscenes and dialog connecting matches. And in order to have an engaging story that is worthwhile is expensive. Very expensive. It requires a lot of writing and a ton of testing.
  15. yagamesh

yagamesh New Member

Why play over and over the same missions?
  16. nguk9

nguk9 New Member

Yeah could be fun to have a highscore to see how many times you have survive. Uber can create an online highscore menu to see who is the best player. Definitely im agree.
    brianpurkiss and meir22344 like this.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

What if... WHAT IF...

instead of all that

you just take what FAF's Galactic War ? : D
  18. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    (Spore's Space Phase)

*cough* *cough*

(this is only a small part of this: )
    [​IMG]

Just look at it! Beautiful, big and you jump from one end of the galaxy to another.
    aevs, monte93, stuart98 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Another galaxy? Nope, I don't think you can get away with that. Just make the one galaxy bigger.

HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF SYSTEMS

Computer systems...on fire...
    monte93 likes this.
  20. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It wouldn't be that hard. Just modify the function that gets called when the game ends so that it re-generates the galaxy.