Terrain Doodads need more role than being 'just' obstacles.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by phlogistinator, August 1, 2014.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

[​IMG]

That's an image from back in Alpha.
    kjotak109, ArchieBuld, ace63 and 2 others like this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Any turrets placed on elevated terrain should get a proportional range increase.
  3. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

yeah I've managed to put turrets on higher terrain but its very limited.. nothing like that screenshot though but close to that...
  4. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

A map/planet editor could really have made a big difference. You really could make perfect planets that would get popular like fields of isis on supcom. the procedural building planets is taking away variation and control of how a map/planets plays and looks. Lets just hope the devs still have a lot of plans with the bioms and variation.

I would have expected to have some lava animation like now. Why is animating lava harder than the current water animation? Some flowing lava would look really nice for sure and make the lava planets less dull. I still hope they add that.

Also I hope someone will make a mod for a map editor maybe even a flat map mod could be awesome!
    vackillers likes this.
  5. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

I definitely think that this game will need both random map generator and specific editor. and then have a thing like battle.net where you can search for most popular maps. Because any game benefits from having some well known and awesome maps, be it FPS, RTS or whatever.

I still remember my fond memories of making maps in Red Alert, THE POSSIBILITIES, you had access to all the stuff and you could make the most beautiful maps, with but just a few clicks :D
    badfucatus and vackillers like this.
  6. vackillers

My guess is just simply time as to why there isn't animation on the Lava, with so much focus being on core gameplay over the past couple months things like lava and water animation stuff has been left on the back burner a bit. I'm hoping to see some more stuff on the water/lava side of things before release but we'll see most likely post release though for those.

I do agree with you about how the procedural generation takes away a lot of the variation control from what a planet editor would do, but I still like the procedural planet generation though, I like the idea and the concept, just needs much more bigger variants to put a difference between each seed, hopefully that will get worked on a bit more at some point.
    RMJ likes this.
  7. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Yeah planet doesnt really seem all that different. If tweaked properly, there could even be popular seeds that players could share, kinda like minecraft. every now and then Random generation does something really awesome and unique.
  8. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I still cannot believe they took all the awesome terrain stuff that was in alpha and replaced it with completely flat planets.
    vackillers and stuart98 like this.
  9. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

That's actually a TA mod that's actively being developed at the moment. TA didn't look quite that cool back in the day.
    vackillers likes this.
  10. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

didn't they say they will bring that terrain back aver releash?
  11. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Yes to the lava planet concepts! At the moment in my opinion lava planets look below average.( I could use other words but I won't)
    Hell if TA Zero can achieve better looking lava planets and its a mod worked on in free time, then a group of renowned devs such as uber should be able to achieve something better than what they have at the moment.
    I would love to see those cliffs in the PA concept. At the moment lava planets look way too flat. Also them lava shaders.
    RMJ and vackillers like this.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well actually lava planets used to have pools of lava like in the concepts but they changed it because of pathing problems.
    vackillers likes this.
  13. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

Don't worry, guys, they're working on it, I think.
    We won't get the level of concept art awesomeness, but it'll still be better, no doubt.
  14. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I don't know if it's a current focus. Haven't heard all that much about it, honestly, besides Brad's post in the mailbag questions thread:
    EDIT: Here's hoping we eventually get cliffs and the likes fairly soon after 1.0 though :D
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: August 2, 2014
  15. vackillers

how long ago did Brad say that?
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Aren't those just craters?
  17. aevs

aevs Post Master General

July 16th.
    They're mountain pits that are set not to bend with terrain (so that they only cut into higher terrain), placed along the terrain at approximately the same height range, to create longer cliff faces.
    igncom1 likes this.
  18. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

I also want to see more intense Forest Fires that actually burn people or uh robots I guess o_O anyway point is tanks shouldn't be able to survive driving through a huge forest fire lol (or can they? some have AC) . Oh and buildings should also catch on fire and burn down and spread to other buildings!!!!
    kjotak109 likes this.
  19. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

About the forest fires and the buildings catching on fire?

Those will make for awesome screenshots. :cool: Also, they add to the already intense action.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow you guys, how did you do two whole pages without mentioning this : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/scale-megathread.48650/?

the basic idea is that if props were made bigger to their units or units smaller to the props, high-ground/low-ground relations and ect could be found again.