Some of the achievements are excessively grindy.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by Zoolooman, February 4, 2011.

1. Zoolooman

Zoolooman New Member

Not just kind of grindy, but above and beyond anything I've seen before grindy.

I have 50 hours of the game played, including a significant amount of those hours played in single player destroying bots.

My status on some of these achievements:

Best case, Slim Bot kills, 4,595 out of 100,000. Time till completion if this rate is any indication: 1000 hours of Monday Night Combat, or 45 straight days of gameplay.

Worst case, Buzzer kills, 210 out of 100,000. Time till completion if this rate is any indication: 25,000 hours or 2.85 straight years of gameplay.

This is true of every grinding achievement, even the ones where you just kill someone with a basic weapon. The times involved are extreme.

It's understandable if you want these achievements to be hard. I can imagine setting the numbers so high that it takes 100 hours of play to complete them, representing a fraction of a fraction of the hardcore playerbase.

But at this point, these achievements (and their associated protags) appear to require more non-stop playtime than it takes most contemporary authors to write full trilogies.
  2. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

those are just things that will happen if you play the game long enough
  3. gunner dude

gunner dude New Member

if getting the achievements are too hard for you then maybe you don't deserve them
  4. Zoolooman

Zoolooman New Member

Yes, but read the rest of the post or do the math yourself with a calculator. "Long enough" will be months to years of 24/7 gameplay in some cases.

You didn't read the thread. Not one word.
  5. wildtortilla

wildtortilla New Member

I agree with everything Zoolooman pointed out. The current numbers associated with these achievements are ridiculous. Example: Killing 100,000 slim bots is too big by a factor of ten. Killing 10,000 slim bots is still quite a feat, but it's within reach and doesn't seem like quite a long shot. By my count, 48% of the achievements sadly fall into the "do something an absurd number of times" category. If these achievements aren't going to be completely redesigned, at the very least readjust their numbers to more realistic goals.
  6. Smaxx

Smaxx New Member

Well ... it's not like other games haven't got unreachable achievements as well. :)
    Take the Tome of Knowledge in Warhammer Online as an example. It got some pretty similar "kill tracker" achievements, e.g. "Kill 10.000 enemies of that kind" while there is only one such creature on the whole server you can't kill more often than once every 4 days.
  7. Zoolooman

Zoolooman New Member

Just because someone else makes a useless achievement doesn't mean this game should have one as well.

Some more fun facts. Heading on 4 years, I've got 1400 hours in TF2. At this current rate, the Buzzer achievement will take me 68 years if I play MNC as much as I've played TF2.
  8. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

They really aren't that hard to get. Blitz has different modes and in these different modes different amount of bots appear. If the XBox had these achievements I would have most of them and I have been playing since August. Actually according to my Raptr I have 550 hours played of MNC.
  9. Zoolooman

Zoolooman New Member

I *DID* play several hours of Blitz modes in this 50 hour set. You're thinking, "I can do that with enough time." You aren't actually calculating it out.

If you could kill one Buzzer a second, it'd take you 67 hours of continuous play to earn that achievement. If you could kill one Buzzer per minute, it'd take you 67 days! If like most of the people I've queried on my friends list, you've killed only a few hundred Buzzers in 50 hours, then you're looking at a Buzzer per every ten minutes played, leading to 680 days of non-stop play before you earn that achievement, or about two years without any breaks to sleep, eat, or work.

And most people have stats even worse than that.

I must emphasize. These achievements aren't merely time consuming. Some of them can be expected to take longer than it takes a single person to build a two story log cabin with an axe and a grindstone.
  10. wildtortilla

wildtortilla New Member

Re-read the numbers Zoolooman has presented and think about them. Numbers don't lie, but a lack of common sense can deceive...
  11. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

The numbers on my stat page don't lie either. I'll give you Buzzars just because they barley even appear in game. Sure math will make it look impossible, but I have done, some, of the impossible with out even the slightest bit of trying.
  12. Stargazer2188

Stargazer2188 New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only person who noticed this. A lot of those pro tags seem more like "f**k yous" from the devs than real, achievable goals. Some of those bots - scramblers, buzzers - just don't show up often enough to make killing 100,000 of them within the realm of possibility. I'm all for difficult achievements, but these are a little extreme.
  13. Zoolooman

Zoolooman New Member

Go ahead and post some pictures and we'll do the math together. Your current playtime, and some examples of how many bots you've killed. It'll be fun and I'm certain it'll be informative.

I'm also certain I'll be proven right, if you want to try it out. :)
  14. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Finally some rather exclusive achievements for once then, achievements that deserve that very name.
  15. Zoolooman

Zoolooman New Member

They deserve a better name--lifetime achievements. :D
  16. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

play blitz and you will slay bots
  17. buggritall

buggritall New Member

That doesn't matter. With the example of buzzers and scramblers, you'd still need to play for a year straight to get those protags. They're not realistically achievable.
  18. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

hence the name achievement
  19. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

The Buzzer achievement is set a little high I think. At my current rate it will take me like 20 years to get it. I think 10,000 would be more reasonable. :D
  20. Rynex

Rynex New Member

The more exclusive bots (Bouncers, Gremlins, and Buzzers) are still rare in Blitz. I've played a number of games already.

Just drop the required limit to 10K on Slims and BlackJacks, and 5K for special bots and that would fix the problem.