Most broken units/strats

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by phoenix2700, August 1, 2014.

1. phoenix2700

phoenix2700 New Member

So I decided to start a thread compiling the most overpowered/broken units and strategies in the game so far. I've got a few to start this off...

1. Shellers + Spinners = GG. Seriously, there's no countering this combination.

2. Vanguards. A unit that can kill the commander in 3 shots and any building in 1. And it can be spammed. And it can be transported. Right next to your commander.

3. The SXX "Death ray" as I've come to call it, wouldn't be so bad if it couldn't be transported right above your commander...and if it didn't fire right away.

4. Oh, what's that? I'm losing? Alright, I'll just take my commander and fly between planets until everyone leaves or dies from natural causes...whichever comes first.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Heh. These have been issues for quite a while. There's quite a few threads talking about this.

Try mixing 1 and 2. Vanguards, Shellers, and Spinners is the best army composition out there.

As for the SXX, there's absolutely no counter to 5 SXX. They fire instantly, doesn't matter how many Anchors or Ubrellas you have, your Commander is dead.
  3. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I think there are a few things you can do that should work against this. 1. Would counter it with boombots or maybe with mixxed other bots. 2. kite with slammers or advanced bombers. 3. There is an air transport you can use for a commander to endlessly dodge lasers. 4. Im not sure if you can actually counter this, but umbrella, anchor and avengerspam definitly seems like the way to go. Brians suggested combination sounds really strong, i would probably try outrunning and basetrading, commander sniping, anchorspam or trying to do awesome with advanced bombers. Also maybe make lots of walls in a way that it slows him down toomuch.
    zaphodx likes this.
  4. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

you forgot that one craazy thing, move around.
  5. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Anchor creep. Does wonders against this combination.

Hornets can actually counter them. Well, as long as there are no Spinners / Sniperbots / Fighters / Anchors / AA-turrets / Flak / Whatever-else-can-counter-a-hornet...

Somehow the very same problem, isn't it? In both cases the main issue is the lack of pre-/post-tranfer delay.
    And that's the solution these two problems: "Take off speed" for interplanetary transfers
  6. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

No, it's IMPOSSIBLE to counter. The commander only remains in orbit for a single server frame. It's gone again before a single shot can be fired. Even when landing right in front of the weapon of an Avenger or Anchor.

It can only be countered by smashing the target planet for the transfer. And hoping that this does NOT result in the commander now orbiting the sun instead.
  7. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

1 + 2 : building an army to win = completely broken mechanic in a RTS game (or maybe you complain about the balance ?)
    3 : if you get kill by SXX, you deserve it :p
    4 : this is broken (no irony), but who is stupid enough to do that ?

There is only one magic thing to win a game, look at what your ennemy is doing !
    Last edited: August 1, 2014