Should T2 air transport should become T1?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by phlogistinator, July 31, 2014.

1. phlogistinator

phlogistinator Active Member

So far I have not seen much use for T2 air transports being used at all.

The only good situations in which they are used are:

- Putting the commander in it, so as to set to area patrol, as a counter to SXX laser-snipe strategy
    - Ferrying Vanguards/Pyros to the enemy commander to kill it via a sneak attack

Considering its 60 metal cost, and its limited use (portals seem to do better), why not make it T1, so as to increase the range of strategies available in the early game for launching sneak attacks etc.? By the time one builds a T2 vehicle factory AND a T2 air factory to ferry T2 units across, most probably many bases would already have good anti-air defenses, and also a single T1 air fab building portals to link up 2 places is more economical than using T2 transport.

Doing so expands early game strategies, and also provides a cheaper alternative to portaling.
    archmagecarn and burntcustard like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Last time it made rushing really, really easy.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

When the T1 air transport was T1, it broke the game with Commander rushes. It was an uncounterable strategy and a huge bummer.

The only way air transports would work as T1 would be if they couldn't pick up Commanders, or if Commanders had mutually assured destruction.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

But the issues with that rushing problem have been solved with the armor system and the uber cannon's reload time.
  5. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

We started them in the basic tier, and it made mobility so readily available at the start of the game, a rush was generally always correct, even on larger maps.

Even if it wasn't commander rushes, it would be inferno rushes instead.
    MrTBSC and ArchieBuld like this.
  6. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

As in 3-4 minute comander drop/6 minute inferno drop of doom easy. Transports need an unload and load time as well as slower speed in vanilla.
    Last edited: July 31, 2014
    knub23 and cptconundrum like this.
  7. knub23

knub23 Active Member

Doesn't the new commander anti-air and the buff for the AA towers make this rush risky enough to change the air transport again? You potentially lose everything against the com, AA towers or T1 fighters if you transport stuff with the transporter. Maybe raise the cost of the transporter too, so that losing it does actually matter. High risk, high reward.
    improvised1 and cptconundrum like this.
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

The commander now has a great anti-air weapon. It is possble that t1 transports are reasonable again.

Also, maybe this thread belongs in the balance forum.
    shootall likes this.
  9. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

If they could only pick up T1 units and had a slow "drop off" animation I think they could work.

Aaaand then I'd also like to see multi unit transports which can either carry like 30 Dox or....

I think I might have to learn how to 3D model and start a gunship/transports mod :p
    ace63, ef32 and elodea like this.
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

To make a realistically sized 30 unit transport it'd be of larger size than the T2 air factory sadly...
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Maybe just 5 or ten then.
    igncom1 likes this.
  12. igncom1

Squad size transports are as large as id go.
  13. Deletive

Deletive Member

but now it's vanguard rushes...
  14. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

as much as id love to win in 3 mins by dropping infernos on unsuspecting victims, please no....
  15. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

I explain again.

Slow landing animation so they have plenty of time to get shot down, slow movement (maybe even slower with heavy things like infernos in them) so that they can't run away from fighters, and maybe a slight cost increase to the transports and/or T1 air factories.

I don't see what everyone is so afraid of.

I think with 4 or so rows of units, like the T3 UEF transports from SupCom, I think you could probably fit at least 20 Dox in a transport that would fit inside a T2 air factory. Not that I'd do that... I'd use them to transport Boom bots obviously ;P
    emraldis, websterx01 and aevs like this.
  16. igncom1

Do transports even have animations currently? Unit's seem to just teleport off them don't they?
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well the problem is at the moment there is no way to make it use multiple bones to hold units- basically it's impossible to make a transport that holds units in multiple places, at the moment, it's one of the biggest reasons that Uber hasn't implemented it I believe.
  18. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

O MY GOD I REMEMBER THOSE RUSHES AND THEY PISSED ME OFF SO MUCH I ALMOST THREW MY MONITOR OUT THE WINDOW AND THEN KICKED MY DOG OUT THE SIDE DOOR

But in all seriousness with some balance tweaks making T1 air transports would be a good thing on larger planets because ATM there is no reason why anyone would go Air Transports ever in any situation especially with something like teleporters.
    aevs likes this.
  19. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

[​IMG]
    zweistein000 and meir22344 like this.
  20. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Supcom got around this by having the transports be compact while being built, and then unfold as they were taking off.