Server In 1.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, July 26, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Well if those features come in, say, Q4, what does it matter to you if they're labelled 1.0 or 1.4? The version number makes no difference to the time required to deliver a feature.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

sooo expected this thread to come again...
    and i am realy getting tired of this ... we have threads talking about ladder and opening the servers already ... there is absolutely no reason to throw in such a fearmongering thread like it was done after beta ...
    some people realy seem to treat 1.0 like being the end all be all holy grail of the game when in reality it wont ... by all means feel free to critic things that you may not like but stop that attitude of "if x aint in game = game doomed" , stop being such drama queens ... you give us all a bad picture as community and frankly i'm starting to feel rather ashamed ..
    Last edited: July 26, 2014
  3. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

You don't know that.

Uber already said it, if the game is not successful, it won't have any further support.
    lokiCML likes this.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

No. But this pushy "we need 1.0, even without all these features that were supposed to be 1.0" creates doubt that we will ever see the features.
    Also with global chats it seems like we really may never get an official one.
    Last edited: July 26, 2014
    lokiCML and nlaush like this.
  5. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Am I disappointed, sure. It's alway seemed silly to be tying up a cloud server when I'm mostly doing nothing, but need a game running to test a mod. However, Uber has said repeatedly that they are being very fluid with requirements, and at some point they have to drop the early access label. I certainly believed that the server was coming when it was released, but that can also be read as some time after release.
    lokiCML likes this.
  6. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

For digital version it won't. But for physical... You can't patch discs inside the boxes. People buying game in store will practically pay for incomplete product.

Connection to the internet shouldn't be required for physical copies - that's the whole point of having a physical copy, that's why they started this whole deal and that's what they promised since the kickstarter campaign.
  7. tohron

tohron Active Member

I know there have been a lot of threads like this lately, but there is a difference here: releasing without offline-mode is a mistake that has hurt bigger companies than Uber. I want to see this game succeed, and delaying a major Kickstarter promise, which many people backed with the expectation that release would include it - all this invites a very serious backlash, which could poison the opinions of many potential customers against PA.

Release may be, in this day and age, just another milestone in the technical sense, but it is still the point where reviews come out, and where lots of people who were on the fence make the decision on whether or not to buy at full price. If the game releases and the servers go down, that would be a disaster for a company of Uber's size, and it would cost them a lot of sales. I don't want to risk seeing that happen.
    lokiCML and Nicb1 like this.
  8. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Do you think that's a possible risk?
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I at least hope not.
  10. empyreanguard

empyreanguard Member

oh no.. oh no..!

If this is true, then bye-bye uber.. i had a great time following this game since 15th august 2012 hoping to get an awesome game WITH offline singleplayer, but now it seems that the second thing isn't a thing anymore to hope for..

Potential buyer of PA
  11. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

In what way is offline a "pet feature"?
    nlaush likes this.
  12. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I stated in my other post. Always-on DRM has hurt the reputations of even the most reputable game developers/publishers such as EA and Ubisoft.

EA made this mistake with C&C4 and SimCity. Players were savagely critical of these two games simply because they always required a constant internet connection that if disrupted, would result in "a loss of progress." Potential buyers transformed into fiery critics as EA struggled to figure out what was going on.

Not long after, the SimCity servers went down due to high player volume. Sure, EA offered a free game to SimCity players as an apology, but the company did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with C&C4 and left that game to die lonely and forgotten.

What does this all lead to?

A bad decision like this could not only permanently damage Uber's reputation, but could also lead to its bankruptcy. It is a company with a small budget and a small team, but that team is filled with people who live to fulfill promises. If the team fails to fulfill said promises, what can I say?

TLDR:

- Please put the offline mode in PA by release. It will all be worth it in the end.
    Nicb1, nlaush and brianpurkiss like this.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Well it will still happen, just not for the 1.0 release.
    lokiCML likes this.
  14. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

And hoping is probably the only thing we can do. If there are issues, Uber could be at least more open.

I don't think EA or Ubi ever had a good reputation, especially the former is the prime example for a publisher everyone hates. And the latter is also showing more and more disgusting business practices. The always on stuff wasn't surprising, but still caused on outrage.

Contrary, Uber releasing PA with 1.0 possibly not having offline mode was actually surprising to me. I hope that's really just somewhat of an disconnect with the playerbase, similar to the EA-retail, where they probably didn't expect negative reactions.
    This could be quite a bit worse, the other thing was at least mostly about principles.
  15. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

There is no real discussion left in this forum because Fanboys can always forgive and wait for patches. How many copys were sold, how many people are still active? Releasing the game in this state is pure stupidity.
  16. Geers

Geers Post Master General

You must be from some strange parallel universe.

Hi.
    byte01, tatsujb, kjotak109 and 3 others like this.
  17. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

No, PEOPLE TREAT 1.0 AS A RELEASE STATE.
    Will DRM kill this game? I don't know. But it is absolutely, 100% going to hurt this game and Uber's reputation.

It may even hurt the game so much that we might not see very much post-release addition.
    lokiCML, kjotak109, nlaush and 3 others like this.
  18. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

You mean a "strange parallel universe" where EA and Ubisoft are revered instead of loathed?
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

C&C4 died because it wasn't C&C in any way whatsoever. The always online DRM was merely the icing on the cake.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

where they are reputable.

they don't strike many around here as nice chaps.