How to set planet rotation rate?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jtibble, July 24, 2014.

1. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

Hi everyone,

In the system-builder, is there a way to set the rotation-rate of a planet? Now that incidental collisions are possible, I'd like to be able to make a spawning planet revolve at an appreciable rate so that if there is an incidental collision, it's not know in advance which part of the planet will get smacked!
    aevs likes this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

That is not possible.

It would not even make sense in the real outer space.

If you increase orbit distance, the planet rotates slower. If you decreases the distance, the planet orbits faster.

If you change the velocity of a planet it will have an elliptical orbit path anyway.

Because physics
  3. toric55

toric55 Member

he means the day night rotation rate.
    aevs likes this.
  4. idsan

idsan Member

...Which is the physical rotation of the planet in relation to the sun. So, like KiwiJuice said.
  5. killerkiwijuice

well actually the day night rotation rate is determined by many factors, not the sun. Early asteroid/ meteor impacts, earthquakes, volcanos, etc. Axis tilt would also have a dynamic impact on day/night from the north to south pole.

The system builder would need a massive buff to add features like that. I'm sure that would be the rock bottom of priorities.
  6. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

I was referring to the length of the day on the planet, not the orbital revolution speed. Our moon is tidally locked, but I'd like to make planets and moons that both are and aren't.
    aevs likes this.
  7. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

I wouldn't say massive buff. Being that they can already move around in free space I'm sure this could be added much easier than you would think, being that the rotation of the sphere already has a number representing it for rendering. Just give users the ability to set the rate of that rotation :)

Not super high priority, but would be a fun little addition!
  8. toric55

toric55 Member

no, kiwi was talking about the orbital speed. the rotation of a planet around its axis has nothing to do with its orbital speed or distance.
  9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

The best you can currently do it out the planet father away from the sun. I used to put planets FAR off of the grid just to get that slowed day-night cycle.
  10. aevs

aevs Post Master General

U wot m8
    There is more than 1 day in a year. There is no physical law dictating the period of rotation of a rocky planet (around its own axis)... 'cept for tidally locked bodies I suppose.

I don't think it would take too much work to implement setting planets' axial tilt and rotation period. I mean, they're currently set at random (as far as I know). Adding a couple fields in the system editor to set those values instead sounds do-able, unless there's some really convoluted code in there for some reason (hopefully that isn't the case).
  11. killerkiwijuice

alright maybe not massive, but just extra work ;)