1. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

2. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I think the commander in the astreus getting instakilled is an example of removal of awesome. I mean come on, who doesn't want to see the new commander explosion as much as possible. Thats why i think it needs some more love.
    mered4 likes this.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Or.. You could just let him do his job. The game is fun. Do units need tweaks yeah. When scathis says that he is happy with x unit or total balance then we can discuss this better. Over the last few months we have learned how he does his balance. Let him get on with it and we can complain or give credit when he is done.
    EdWood, cdrkf, popededi and 6 others like this.
  4. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

For the record, I said I don't know who said it. Not that it wasn't said.

5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

You can't go back on a statement that was basically "We agree, this is a great thing to attempt". Such as Mavor saying /agree on reddit to "Hey, it would be cool if all units stayed viable at all points in the game". My statements were exactly the same.

There is no "going back on promises". We stated at various times that yes, we think that is a great goal to aim for. But as I already said, it was a hoped for outcome, not a design cornerstone. And whoever originally listed it as "confirmed" in the confirmed feature list is frankly guilty of flagrant misrepresentation.

Carry on. I've got a build to work on.
    drz1, corteks, Fr33Lancer and 9 others like this.
  6. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Having sat down for an hour or two to read this thread, here's my inconsequential opinion (add it to the pile):

[​IMG]

Uber are a pretty transparent and friendly bunch.
    They're also making one of the best RTS games out there.

I don't expect weekly detailed forum updates. An update to the actual game is enough of an update for me.
    That said, it's brilliant when Uber give us an insight into the development process and always gets me itching to play with the new toys they're building.

As long as cool things get included in PA eventually (be it through Uber's efforts or modders'), then I'm happy to wait. Heck, I've been excited since the Kickstarter trailer, what's another few months?

As a side note, things I find cool:
    • Diverse Units.
    • Diverse Economy Systems.
    • Explosions.
    • Unit Cannons.
    • Asteroid Belts.
    Ladders are useful, and important to some very dedicated players, but fun is the most important thing in my book. When I think back to games like Total Annihilation and Warcraft III, what kept those games awesome wasn't competitive play.

It was the atmosphere, the huge array of units and buildings we had, and the tools the community had available to keep adding to the game.

I'm sad some things from Total Annihilation aren't being used for inspiration, but I'm glad Uber are working on modding tools, among many other awesome things.

Keep up the good work Uber, modders and casters!

I have faith this will be a shiny game, eventually.
    Last edited: July 24, 2014
    popededi, drz1, lokiCML and 7 others like this.
  7. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

One word on mods, because i think this is a point not everyone make comments about:
    Players want to play the game.
    Why have many players stop playing at the moment and are waiting for 1.0 release?
    Because they dont want to "learn" how to play the game after every build/PTE update. I think many players that are waiting for this game simply dont have the time to "keep on track" with all the constantly approaching changes.
    And its the same with mods. Maybe mods multiply this "problem" many times. A lot people who want to play the game, dont want to spent time on figuring out, what is the best (or better say "a differnet") UI mod that gives me an advantage above players who dont have it, or what balance do people play at the moment - how is this balance to be played. I think for a noob player that cant play every day (or every two days) it is very hard to get better, when there´s so much change all the time. But i think there are a lot of players who are in this situation.

Dont get me wrong. I´m not against mods or pleople who did great work on making mods. But for a 1.0 release its way more important, that Uber is making a very well vanilla version of this game without the need of mods.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Agreed, although from my perspective the UI is pretty good now :)
  9. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Defintiely getting there:)

There a few very minor command-control bits I'm missing, but for the most part the UI is excellent.

My two main things: no shift click unselect of units and factories can't assist eachother. Yet.

Other than those, of course there are major features we wish for, like multi-monitor support, but honestly, the game is already very enjoyable with the tools we already have.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Only one- cntrl click unselects units, shift click ads :)
  11. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks! :)

Although I do think moving it to shift+click would make more sense as it's an "either or" thing depending on the unit being selected or not. But still, it's good to know we have it!